Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage WISCONSIN FENDERLESS HOT RODS & WISDOT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curt R, Jul 1, 2019.

1. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I have asked repeatedly on all three threads on this subject since March or April if anyone else in Wisconsin has had any issues and there has been thousands and thousands of views and nobody but Brad and the other guy in Dodgeville and yachtsmanbill with his Buicks hood issues are the only ones I know of. Not saying you will not have an issue but guys have been cruising all summer and no problems have been reported. Larry

2. At every car event I have attended this year there have been stories of recent incidents with WSP and hot rods. Sure the stories are coming second, third and forth version and specifics can change or sound more extreme than the reality, but, something is going on out there.

As important as the HAMB is, in my discussions with fellow rodders I have found out the majority aren't on the HAMB. Thanks to the HAMB for the forum and being representative of a specific interest group within all of hot rodding. I don't expect all WSP incidents to be reported to the HAMB.

I have four guys getting the major shuffle from the WSP Inspector about required vehicle equipment on their fresh build rods. Another major problem we have is the titling of fresh built rods applying for Wisconsin issued title and VIN. We all know about buying a "historical document" and using it to title a vehicle, so does WSP. When WSP suspects someone has used a purchased title for titling of a vehicle, the Trooper starts talking citations, arrest, fines etc.

Getting a clear understanding between the hot rodders and WSP about the interpretation of vehicle equipment regulations for titling inspection is very important. If you can't get your hot rod titled and licensed, your not on the road. One less old car or hot rod on the road.

Curt R

Blues4U, 1927graham and loudbang like this.
  3. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Curt-
    I've reread this thread but I still don't understand one big item. My big question: Were the violations written initially for an alleged violation of a stated statute/ordinance, etc.? For example: "Failed to have headlights on a vehicle where headlights are required"? Or was it that the WSP figured you needed headlights but they were not required by law, ordinance, and were written for the "violation"?

I'm not judging either way but I cannot quite get the grasp. I can understand the discontent if an item was not required by law but was ticketed. Conversely, if the item was required by law and the vehicle did not have said item then the WSP should not be the target. The lawmakers are the one to fix it.

Are these items that were required by law been going unenforced for years and now are being enforced?

loudbang, tubman and Old wolf like this.
  4. A Boner

A Boner

image.png image.jpeg From post #254 in this thread, from August of 2019......NO HOOD, in FOND DU LAC WISCONSIN!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    loudbang and Old wolf like this.
  5. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

According to the copy of the uniform traffic ticket he was ticketed for not having a hood as described in 305.9 (a).

Did he have a hood on his '64 Buick? Or are you contending that IF he had a hood then it would have secure latches, etc., but since he had no hood then the ticket is bad?

6. A Boner

A Boner

"We"are contending.......just like it has been for the last 20 some years in WISCONSIN. Doesn't say you need a hood. What it says is the latches and hinges should be maintained so it doesn't fly off, and that it can be easily opened if need be.

(2)
    (a) Goes on to talk about the door requirement, but nothing about a hood requirement!

Saw a newer late model sedan (With crash damage), the other day with the grill, front bumper cover and hood all DUCT taped together and shut......now that looked illegal! An engine fire and the fire dept. would have to wait for the tape to burn off before they could access the engine compartment to put out the fire!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Blues4U and Runnin shine like this.
  7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Just because someone else does something wrong and gets away with it, doesn't make it alright for you to do the same .........

Old wolf likes this.
  8. A Boner

A Boner

There isn't anyone from the top to the bottom of the Wisconsin State Patrol, that is an elected official. Therefore , they aren't accountable to anyone EXCEPT the Wisconsin Legislators, who get elected by us, who actually pass the laws. That is why we are getting together with the Legislators, and will continue to do so until we get these problems straightened out. If some of the language needs to be clarified, we will get it clarified!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I was referring to the person with the taped up hood , has no bearing on the hot rod problem ...

10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The Attorney General determines how state LE will apply the law, but the courts have the final say on the law itself, what it means. The Atty Gen is subordinate to the courts. Only the Legislature can over rule the courts, by re-writing the law to clarify what they want it to say.

You're right about activist judges abusing their position to effectively decree law from the bench. Many judges allow their biases to overrule their logic. Law Enforcement associations donations to judge's campaign funds tend to influence their biases. Fortunately some judges still have some integrity and put their biases aside, but you never know what you're going to get when you go to court. It's always a gamble.

11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Actually, when it comes to the law you have to parse every word, carefully. The statute posted above that you're referring to says a hood must
    . It doesn't say it must be kept on the car. The hood may be in perfect working condition, sitting in the back yard. Remember, the courts job is not to "interpret" the law, adding clarification that doesn't exist, they can only go with what the text of the statute actually says. It is the Legislatures job to write the law to include every specific item they want it to include. If the text doesn't include it, it doesn't exist. Nothing in that text says the hood must be kept on the car.

And to further illustrate this, note that the next section of that statute says: "(2) 
    (a) Every motor vehicle, except those manufactured with removable doors or without doors, shall be equipped with doors. Open top designed vehicles are not required to have operating doors when the vehicle is operated without a top. "

Where the legislature wanted to clarify regarding the operation of a vehicle without doors they included text that specifically addressed it. They could've done the same regarding the hood, they chose not to. Come on, you guys know all about rule books and finding the loop holes in the rules regarding what can and cannot be done. It's the same thing with the law.

12. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, I got it now. I'm a little slow on the uptake here. Thanks for the responses.

13. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I have never met , talked to or heard of an unbiased judge...

Old wolf likes this.
  14. vwfreek

vwfreek

My dad registered a 1963 VW Baja Bug with Hobbyist plates in the early '80s before the 'street modified' designation was available. So he had to title it as 'reconstructed' and get an inspection for a state assigned VIN. For those not familiar with Baja Bugs, it's a body kit with cut down fenders, shortened front hood, and exposed rear engine. He put a chicken wire cover over the engine and it passed inspection.

15. A Boner

A Boner

Time for a bump.
    Anyone in WISCONSIN go through the WSP inspection to get a REPLICA or STREET MODIFIED title.....LATELY? Anyone in your car hobby circle, try/succeed getting a title for a hot rod in WISCONSIN?

16. vwfreek

vwfreek

A WSP inspection shouldn't be required for a 'Street Modified' title. I titled a 'Street Modified' car a couple months ago, no questions or pictures asked for. According to the DMV website an inspection "may" be required for 'Reconstructed' or 'Homemade'. https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/vehicles/title-plates/hobbyist.aspx

Edit: I just reread the page, and there is no mention of inspection in the 'Replica' designation either.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  17. A Boner

A Boner

Where does the Green Bay Area inspector work out of? What type of vehicle did you get titled?

18. vwfreek

vwfreek

I believe it's Sheboygan, but I'm not sure since I've never needed to inspect any of my Hobbyist vehicles. It was a 1991 VW.

19. Just because there isn't any inspection required. that does not mean you can ignore the legal requirements set forth in the regulations.

20. A Boner

A Boner

No chit Dick Tracy.

UnkkaBobby and milwscruffy like this.
  21. A Boner

A Boner

Bump to front

22. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

A lot of my friends run hobbyist plates . most just filled out the app and sent the money . I am one of the few that I have talked to that actually sent in a description of how their cars where modified. And they still got their titles and plates and some are not even branded " street modified" on the title. I have been asking these questions to people I do not even know at events all summer . Fenderless or not no one had any real issues or had to have an inspection. I do not think the DMV really cares as long as you send money. But that still will not stop the WSP from stopping you and writing a ticket. But I have talked to as many fenderless, hoodless , bumperless guys I see and no one so far has had any issues. And I am talking about guys running huge tires , blowers ect, ect. Cars that you would think would really stick out going to major events running the interstate. A few I have talk to at Back To The 50s even saw WSP sitting running radar and had no issues. So I just don't know how much of an issue this really is. Drive your hot rods and enjoy and I guess hope you do not run into a cop with a chip on his shoulder with the intent of making your life miserable . My buddy with the 36 Chevy pickup on basicly a T bucket frame is going to build some cycle style fenders for it this winter just in case but is going to run it as is. Larry

Speed~On and 35 Dodge Hot Rod like this.
  23. WISDMV as a matter of procedure can require a vehicle owner to make the vehicle available for a WSP vehicle inspection. There are consequences for refusing to have your vehicle inspected by WSP.

WSP vehicle inspections are not required as part of the application process for "Hobbyist" or "Collector" license plate. WISDMV as a matter of procedure can require a vehicle owner applying for a "Hobbyist" or "Collector" license plate make the vehicle available for a WSP vehicle inspection.

If applying for new registration and the vehicle fails WSP inspection, registration will not be issued until the vehicle passes WSP inspection.

In recent instances a vehicle failing the WSP inspection will have current registration suspended.

Curt R

UnkkaBobby and Old wolf like this.
  24. Bump, been a while and summer's over. Any new, bad experiences over the past summer ? How is the legal end going ?

25. A Boner

A Boner

Time for a bump.
    Things are progressing up in Madison. What is needed is more phone calls to YOUR districts, STATE SENATORS and STATE REPRESENTATIVES. (The squeaky wheel gets the oil thing) https://legis.wisconsin.gov/.
    The DOT/STATE PATROL/DMV are having meetings about the missinterpretations.....the problem is that there isn't anyone at those meeting from the car hobby side of things, telling them our side of the story/PROBLEM! Call your "elected legislators" and tell them about the "unelected State officials" up in Madison, screwing up our hobby, and the laws the legislators passed 25 years ago!

Hopefully Bob or Ed from the "Wisconsin Specialty Vehicle Alliance" will get on here with some new info, and a link, so you can join in on the fight.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Max Gearhead likes this.
  26. UnkkaBobby

UnkkaBobby

I'd like to be made aware of the meetings taking place and those in attendance. I'm fully ready to contact my representatives (some more) and that information is very helpful. I'll be making them aware of some doings that SEMA is currently involved in. I'm adamant they should know. Thanks for the continued efforts "a boner" and everyone else involved.

27. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

28. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Committee? I know the site but don't know what to look for

29. A Boner

A Boner

https://legis.wisconsin.gov/

Under:
    "Who are my Legislators?"
    Type in your Zip Code
    Call the 2 Legislators your Zip Code gives you.
    -Thanks

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  30. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

That part I knew and have sent letters with follow up phone conversations to both of my elected officials. I thought it was suggested that the site would tell us when the DOT/STATE PATROL/DMV meetings were taking place. My misunderstanding.