Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead Shop (Texas)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by slowspoke, Oct 20, 2019.

1. slowspoke

slowspoke

Has anyone here had any luck locating a Flathead V8 shop in the DFW region this past year or two? I've left a few voicemails got shot down by one shop and spoke with an awesome character that only does full builds (unfortunately) and warned me not to source the project out to anyone under 70 years of age! I'm looking to have the typical machine work completed.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’d talk to @Bass and see where he points you

3. Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  4. NOT ME,I ;M TOO OLD ALREADY (87)

belair and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. My best advice...Call Wayne Calvert in Denton,Texas...Calvertys Automotive''on Dallas street.

6. slowspoke

slowspoke

Unfortunately the gentleman I spoke with at Calverts indicated they did not work on flatheads. He wasn't able to point me in any one particular direction.

7. speak to "Randy Calvert"on call back...He is Waynes son..coz,someone is jerking your chain

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Yeti Man

Yeti Man
    from NorthTexas

Randy Calvert told me they do the machine work, and have another guy do the assembly. I can’t find that guys number at the moment as I’m out of town for a week. Will try to find it when I get home if you haven’t found results.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. slowspoke

slowspoke

Interesting. I’ll have to give them another call and be sure to speak with Randy. It was a bit disheartening to hear them turn me away as I’ve seen the name floating around in relation to flathead.

10. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Are you talking about Keith Tardel's shop in Austin Texas. It is called Rex Rods and Chassis. Keith builds flathead engines and does an amazing job of building them, in addition to chassis fabrication and complete car builds.

Texas Webb and 55styleliner like this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keiths Rex Rods is in Johnson city which is a 4 and something hour run from the DFW area. 48 miles west of downtown Austin and about 25 miles west of dripping springs HQ for the Hamb. Doable in a day pretty easy as most of it is on I 35 but that at least two 500 mile a day runs for Slowpoke.
    Good thing is that there are some damned fine places to eat along I 35.

12. slowspoke

slowspoke

Thanks. I haven’t given up on the Dallas/Fort Worth region just yet but I’ll keep them in mind.

13. There's a guy down Houston way that's advertising as a "builder" of flatheads so I was going down that way as soon as a block gets a green light for no cracks. It's as much as the tooling for them to do the motors as finding someone that knows their way around a flattie....and then you have to find a good crack free or reparable block.

14. Is it Piscano up in Denton who runs the built up banger motor in a A coupe at Bonneville - he's great but not inexpensive.

15. slowspoke

slowspoke

Wow did you really have to settle on a machine shop in Houston!?

16. Silverplate

Silverplate

We have used Calvert for several projects in the past, during the past year both Wayne and Randy have turned us down flat on any requests.

17. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can''t remember the name but there is a guy in College Station. He posts on here too.

EDIT: Flathead John47