Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wanted: Headlight switch with instrument dimmer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by European Custom, Oct 20, 2019.

1. European Custom

European Custom

Hi, i´m trying to find a headlight switch for my chevy 48 to replace my broken one, but i didn´t find one with a dim function for the instruments:

My current one has the following functions:

- 3 positions (off/Park/Lights)
    - plus when i turn the headlight knob, i can dim the lights of my instruments

My current one has also no brand information, does someone knows where i can get such switch? I need it for 12V.

Here a pic of my current one from the back:

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  2. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

My ‘67 Plymouth Valiant and ‘74 Plymouth Duster had one like that. Probably pretty common but that’s all I’m absolutely sure about.

nochop likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

The original switch probably does what you want.

But if you post a picture of the broken switch, we might be able to identify it, so you can buy a replacement. Chevy light switches had the dimmer for many years, although the switch design changed over time.

4. European Custom

European Custom

Thanks for your feedback, i insert a pic from the back view of the switch in the first post. I think it´s a quite common switch, but in most dealer descriptions they didn´t mention the dim function.

5. Look for a Chevrolet light switch through the 1970's. Make sure it has the pull knob. It should mount through your existing hole in the dash.Here is an example: upload_2019-10-20_8-56-40.jpeg Google and click on images.

MO_JUNK and chop job like this.
  6. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

7. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

If it is the original 48 headlight switch it is Standard Motor Products #DS-141 Used in many GM vehicles but not sure in Europe. Was the car produced in Europe or NA ? Go to the Standard Motor Products / Blue Streak website. lots of information and photos.

MO_JUNK likes this.
  8. Mimilan

Mimilan

If you're based in Europe look for an early British GM Bedford or Vauxhall Cresta [PA or PB] headlight switch.
    They are Lucas # 34682

9. European Custom

European Custom

Thanks to all for your help, I will take the one from the link from onetrickpony.