Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Kustoms blues? I need to see some kustoms....

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by straykatkustoms, Oct 6, 2014.

1. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. loudbang

loudbang

3. j hansen

j hansen

Damn,,,,,,what a nice car.Anymore pics?

4. loudbang, 54delray, OG lil E and 2 others like this.
  5. j hansen

j hansen

^^^^^ Thanks Sancho ^^^

loudbang, OG lil E and Sancho like this.
  6. Great pic Mick! Such a cool car!

I agree Sancho, I'm just crazy about '60 Ford four doors. Back in the 90s I met a guy named Lee that had a '60 four door. The first time I saw it I fell in love with it. From then on a '60 was on my list of must haves. Hasn't happened yet (lol), but there's always hope, right?
    Lee was in a club called the Pan Draggers that a lot of guys I knew were in. These guys were like the Shifters, but this was in the early 90s. Every time I saw them at a show I was blown away by the old time style of their cars--just like in the 50s!
    I used to see Lee all over town cruising around in his Ford. The car had shaved door handles with wide whites, Moon discs, triple cap lakes and it sat almost on the ground. Lee was a crafty guy and he adapted an air ride system in the car from semi trucks. I guess it was pretty crude by today's standards, but this was way before air suspension was all over. It worked surprisingly well, too!
    Lee also decided he didn't want gray primer on his baby blue Ford, so he tinted the primer blue so it pretty much matched the paint on the car. Doing this was not real common back then.
    When Lee was cruising around, he always had his trusty dog with him. A female English bull terrier named Mary. She looked just like Spuds McKenzie in the old beer commercials. They were inseparable.
    In the summer of '97, the Pan Draggers threw together a rockabilly weekender like Viva Las Vegas, only a lot smaller. This was a new concept as Viva wasn't around yet. My friend Charlie (then a member of the Pan Draggers) invited me and my friend Mitch down there. Mitch took his '52 Chevy and I drove my old '50 Plymouth four door down there. The show was great! Nothing like I had ever seen before. Talk about a glance into the future!
    We saw some great customs and hot rods, listened to some great bands, saw lots of pompadours and gals dressed up like in the old days. We also met some great leadsled fans from Japan! These guys were the real deal. They didn't speak a lick of English, but their interpreter had the conversation difficulties in hand. Nice bunch of guys! They seemed to like our cars. I wish I had thought to take their picture, but we were all so engrossed in the conversation I never got any shots.
    I did manage to get a shot of Lee's '60.

Lee's 60.jpg

There is an ironic twist to this story. I lost touch with Lee years ago and I always wondered what ever became of the car. About a year and a half ago a '60 Galaxie four door came up for sale on Craigslist here in town. When I saw the ad I immediately recognized the car as Lee's old cruiser. The car looked to be in rough shape and the price of $2000 was a little steep. The ad mentioned he might be willing to part the car out, so I figured it was the worse for wear. My curiosity got the best of me and I set up a time to go check it out.
    The car had no engine or trans, and the rockers and quarter panels were really dented up and had a few rust holes. One of the lake pipes was bent, and both were rusty. The skirts were gone and the car had dents everywhere. The only good thing the car had was a nice set of original Lancers in the trunk. It was a sad sight. Mitch was with me and he thought it was too far gone. I reluctantly agreed and I walked away.
    A few days later the guy updated the ad and said he was parting it out. Mitch asked if I wanted to go back with him to buy the Lancers. I decided not to go as seeing the car again would be too heartbreaking. Mitch bought the hubcaps and they are hanging up in his garage waiting for the right car to come along.
    A few weeks later I was at a local wrecking yard and I saw the car one last time. The front clip was gone, as well as the bent up lakes. It did still have one of the tail light lenses on it. It was very faded and unuseable, but I took it anyway. At the counter, the guy chuckled at the tail light and told me it wasn't any good. I told him I liked it and he said I could have it. That tail light is hanging up in my garage as a reminder of the cool, backyard built '60 that lit a custom fire under me that I'll never forget! E

7. @OG lil E You certainly have a way with words. I love reading your posts!

8. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ditto E!! Sorry, I'm not very good with words.....

54delray, loudbang, OG lil E and 2 others like this.
  9. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. loner2

loner2

14. loner2

loner2

15. Thanks guys, I appreciate that! By the way Mick, you don't have to be good with words, you have a knack of finding and posting some of the best custom pictures on the HAMB! Thanks for letting us dream along with you through all the great pix! E

Sancho, 54delray, Hamtown Al and 3 others like this.
  16. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. loner2

loner2

19. loner2

loner2

20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Did you know it is a Pontiac ^^^^^^^^^

21. 'Mo

'Mo

About the only indication at this point would be the round front wheel arches (which I generally prefer to Chevies).
    And I sure don't miss the "waterfall"!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Gary Minor from California gave it the Diehards pic in Indy at the Custom Car Revival. He picked that car cause he likes Pontiacs. I had to go see which one it was.

Sancho, 'Mo, 54delray and 3 others like this.
  23. wicarnut

wicarnut

24. wicarnut

wicarnut

I really like this Kool/Smooth mild Kustom 1935 Ford[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Lines, Jay71, Ranchero59 and 19 others like this.
  25. wicarnut

wicarnut

26. loner2

loner2

27. loner2

loner2

28. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Okie Pete, Lines, JUNK ROD and 22 others like this.
  29. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Lines, JUNK ROD, Stogy and 22 others like this.