Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ebay caution ! Hot Rod Vol1 No1 $250.00

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigO, Oct 19, 2019.

1. CAUTION to those who collect car magazines, a seller " Thrift.books" is trying to sell a Vol No1 as the orginal, I requested that he confirm the actual publish date and he confirmed it was the 80s version and said he didn't know and was glad I asked about it and he would change it, but he just reposted it as the 1948 issue, so beware and ask questions before buying anything that looks to good to be true. BigO ( If this needs to be remove I understand)

2. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I guess I missed the part of what magazine it is???

3. I think it is in the thread title.

Tommy

timwhit likes this.
  4. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Last i checked Vol. 1 No.1 is still owned by the people at HOT ROD. it's tattered up a bit and smells bad so no collector probably would want it anyway.

5. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Note that there were two different sets of reprints of the first few issues of Hot Rod - one was the same size as current issues, the other was taller and wider and was the same size as those original issues. I have both; I'd have to look to be sure, but I believe both of them are marked somewhere (maybe on the back page) to clearly show they were reprints.

As far as that goes, chances are any original copies of Volume 1 Issue 1 that you may find are going to show much more aging and wear than a reprint, so the difference will be obvious.

Speed Gems likes this.
  6. Fordors

Fordors

With eBay, or any purchase for that matter, it pays to read between the lines. That seller has 1 3/4 million feedbacks, clearly a high volume operation so there’s no way they research each and every item.
    They have no intent to deceive, they just don’t really know any better. Why wasn’t the listing revised? With their operation they must employ a lot of people and nobody cares.
    Caveat emptor, do your homework.

uncleandy 65 likes this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

When a person/business does not care about other people/customers it shows their lack of integrity.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It may just be due to the amount of employee experience and awareness. I just sent back a part for my OT car that if you know what you are looking at (I do now) it is obvious that it is for the left side and it was advertised as being for the right side. It was marked with a paint pen as RL meaning rear left but the person who listed it listed it as a Right Light.

9. The reprint date is on the contents page, I believe it's at the bottom of the page.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Report him to eBay

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

With 1 and 3/4 million feed backs...... EBay ain’t going to do nothing to him, untill they get a whole bunch of negative feed backs. As long as his % is good, he’s golden!

Bones

12. Not really. Ebay will shut the account down, if they get a bunch of complaints from the same seller. They don't care what your feedback ratings are. At work, we had a good rating, the guy doing the listings never checked the emails concerning a customer complaint. After repeated emails they shit it down. No way to EVER get it back. If that company gets enough people pissed about it, they'll be smart enough to take it down

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That’s what I was saying! I used to do a bunch on EBay and kept a 100% positive feedback, so people would buy from me. My point was with 1.75 million feedbacks it’s going to take a bunch of negative complaints before ant thing happens. It’s hard to keep 100% positive! I see sellers all the time with 10% negative feedback and still going strong. 10% for him would be 175,000 negative complaints! See what I’m getting at?

Bones

14. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I have bought a number of books and magazines from thrift.books and have been 100% satisfied with my purchases. They move a heck of a lot of books and magazines. They currently have more than 5.8 million listed on eBay and this isn't their only selling platform. At that volume, it would be very easy for someone to list it without knowing it was a reprint. I am sure it was unintentional.

Boneyard51 likes this.