Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stromberg ww power valve

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Studehawk, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Studehawk

Studehawk

Hey guys, wondering if anyone has a source for Stromberg ww power valves. I have a rich WOT condition that I'm trying to correct and I would like to find a smaller size to get me closer to target. I have gone as far as I can with main jets but have to push the midrange part throttle ratio too lean (16:1 or more) to even get the WOT ratio to 10:1. I had also thought of blocking the power valve circuit entirely and just tuning the main circuit if there is no source for power valves but would prefer to keep it in place if possible. Any advice or just a source would be great. Carb is on a vs-57 supercharged 289 Studebaker , .080 over, r2+ cam ported heads approx 9.5 to 1 compression ratio and running 6 psi boost.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I think I bought mine at Summit, but they should be easy to find

3. Studehawk

Studehawk

Thanks for the reply. I see lots of avalability for 97s but no listings anywhere for the ww series. Are they the same as the 97s ? I had been told they are different but dont have a 97 here to compare.

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I remember them as being the same, jets too

although my experience is limited and it's been at least a dozen years since I played with them..
    ww carbs 001.jpg

stillrunners, Jet96 and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. Studehawk

Studehawk

Thanks Paul, love that setup you have. they definitly look close so I'll order a couple and see it they fit. If anyone knows for sure if the 97 parts fit or are adaptable id be happy to have confimation. thanks.

6. I don't have anything to add, But I did run two WW's on my old STU-V sideways intake. IMG_1059.JPG

Jet96 and Paul like this.
  7. carbking

carbking

The Stromberg type WW carbs used at least 4 different physical styles of power (economizer) valves, one of which is the same style as some of the Stromberg type EE valves. The other three styles are definitely NOT interchangeable.

There are also at least 2 different physical styles of main metering jets available as well.

While I do not know of an "ala carte" source for either; power valves and sometimes main metering jets come in the better rebuilding kits.

One needs to have the stamped Stromberg code number when ordering parts.

EDIT: just reread your whole request. Are you using the original Stromberg that was modified by Stromberg to work with the blower, or are you using a different Stromberg?

Jon.

8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Thanks Jon,
    I must have just lucked out.
    At least Studehawk now has somewhere to start

9. FWIW I have 50s Mopar WWs on my blown Flathead.....the Jets and PVs interchanged with Stromberg 97 jets. Dunno about the later WWs though ;)

10. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Pretty sure my carburetors were stock to the '60 Studebaker Lark the 289 came from, plus one of course.

11. They were made in an amazing array of styles. I had to but 20+ WWs on sbaY to come up with 6 for the Mysterion clone.
    P1010442.JPG P1010443.JPG

12. Studehawk

Studehawk

I am using the original one that was modified for the supercharger correct. I believe the carb number is 6-122. Ive modified it further to work with the larger cam and am very happy with how it functions in ever regard except the WOT air fuel ratio. It really is a great carb. If a kit came with the stock size I'd be happy to have that to baseline but with the modifications to this engine I really need a smaller one anyway. It has always looked close to the 97 ones to me so I think I will start there. Thanks for sharing your experience!

13. Studehawk

Studehawk

Yes lots of subtle changes and variations on these depending on year and model. They are a very versatile carb for sure.

14. Studehawk

Studehawk

Thanks that makes it seem more likely they will work. I'll post some pics with the carb number etc for anyone having similar trouble. Really appreciate your time. Nice to see all the Studebaker stuff around!

15. carbking

carbking

There were two different original blower Studebaker type WW's. 6-121 and 6-122.

Studehawk and Willys36 - if you are going to play with that many WW's, would suggest you acquire the various Stromberg Master Parts Manuals, which have bill-of-materials for the various carbs. Also information on power valve styles and sizes, jet types and sizes, fuel valve orifices, etc. Won't have pictures of the circuit changes, but has a lot of useful information.

Remember, Stromberg coded their identification numbers, so very easy to at least determine the make for which the carburetor was sold. Common WW codes would be:

3 - Chrysler products
    6 - Studebaker
    7 - Buick
    23 - GMC

There were a few others, but the four above will represent 99 percent of the WW's one will find.

Jon.

stillrunners and Paul like this.
  16. I had to get that many to juggle parts until I had 6 that ended up cosmetically identical and as close to Ed's Mysterion carbs as possible. Only one had to be operational, the rest just for looks. I got the right kit and parts to make one operational one. This was my first (and last?) experience with WWs.
    DIY carb kit.jpg P1010433.JPG P1010434.JPG P1010435.JPG P1010445.JPG

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    kidcampbell71 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  17. carbking

carbking

WOW !

Need sunglasses to look at those pictures !

Looks great.

As to the WW, very surprised more rodders do not use them. Stromberg stamped each and every one with the code number, so one does not have to be a carburetor guru to identify what one has. Most parts are readily available (at least by mail), and the carbs are generally less expensive than the Rochester 2G series (the supercharged Studebaker is an obvious exception to the less expensive ;) ).

The WW, and its big brother, the WWC come in sizes as large and larger than the Rochester 2G series.

The biggest issue is the aluminum throttle body, which probably should be bushed at the first rebuild; but once bushed, very seldom needs additional work; and the rest of the carbs are virtually bullet-proof.

Due to the design, finite tuning is easier than with the Rochesters.

Jon.

kidcampbell71 and rat bastad like this.
  18. Studehawk

Studehawk

Thanks, that's great info. Do you have a source for those documents?

19. Studehawk

Studehawk

Wow awesome setup! Here's the engine in question as we're doing show and tell. No need to chrome this one though

Attached Files:

metalhead140 likes this.
  20. Ain't no such thing as too much chrome!!!!!!!!!

21. FE6X2Stromberg WW.jpg I've got at least 20 extra WW's and got the leftover parts from Willys36 in trade for some Ford FE parts he needed.
    Message me the EXACT parts you need and I'll send them to you

BTW this is my direction with WW's
    Movin/on

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    kidcampbell71 and stillrunners like this.
  22. Studehawk

Studehawk

If you have a 6-122 or 6-121 id be interested in a spare complete unit but the only part I need is the a power valve

23. Studehawk

Studehawk

Ok I had some time today and pulled the power valve. Its marked 54 which doesnt seem to line up with any of the numbers im seeing for 97's. does anyone have an idea for how to measure, translate or a good starting point? the numbers im seeing for 97s range from about 70 to 60

24. Studehawk

Studehawk

Pic of the current valve for reference.

Attached Files:

25. 5brown1

5brown1

if you do a search for "stromberg WW parts" you will get several options on where to get parts.
    the power valve for the supercharged 6-121 and 6-122 is a 54 not the 57.

I stand corrected. Something about age and memory.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    stillrunners likes this.
  26. Studehawk

Studehawk

Thanks , the stock size is good information but not really what I'm after, I have a rich condition with the current power valve that is stamped as a 54 so I would be looking for smaller than that. Also I think you're referencing main jet size

27. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Larger number on power valve is smaller, the 57 is three sizes smaller than the 54

28. carbking

carbking

The correct power bypass valve for the 6-121/6-122 carburetors should be marked 54.

The correct main metering jets for the 6-121/6-122 carburetors should be marked 57 or 057.

The number marked on the power bypass jet for Stromberg is drill size, not thousands of an inch. However the number marked on the main metering jet for Stromberg is in thousands of an inch.

In the case of the 6-121/6-122 there are actually FOUR number 54 orifices in the power bypass jet. Thus, a 57 with only one orifice would be MUCH smaller in fuel flow than the 54 with four orifices.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but this information is readily available in the Stromberg Master Parts Manual.

And one other item to consider: the Stromberg power bypass jet with four number 54 orifices is marked 54. The Stromberg power bypass jet with a single number 54 orifice is also marked 54.

In the FWIW category: I know you are running way rich at WOT, but I would be extremely careful in downsizing the power bypass valve in increments. The valve you are currently running will flow APPROXIMATELY 7 TIMES the amount of fuel of one marked 57. I would suggest trying to find a valve that decreases flow by maybe 10 percent. If still too rich, another 10 percent, etc. Much better to be way rich than a little lean with the blower.

Jon.

29. Studehawk

Studehawk

Thanks carb king. I'm more than willing to buy this master parts listing if you are aware of a source for it but what I need is to find a source for a power valve. If nobody makes them there's not really much advantage to having a drawing of it. I appreciate the advice on staying on the rich side and of course don't plan to push the envelope with lean mixture but it's too over rich to run wot as is. I see from your profile it looks like you are in the business... Do you have a source for different sized 4 orifice power valves? At any rate I'm happy for you assistance thus far and think it's good to get some more of the ww tuning stuff in the open anyway. Thanks

30. carbking

carbking

As I stated earlier, I do NOT know of an ala carte supplier of the power bypass valves. We make the ones we put in our rebuilding kits in our shop, but (no offense) have absolutely no interest in selling them individually. Definitely not complaining, but if I could clone myself 3 or 4 times, would still be busy!

In your case, the power valves for the Ford EE series are the same PHYSICAL dimensions as the 386951 valve used in the 6-121/6-122 carburetors. Any decent machine shop can modify the valves. Buy a handful, take to you favorite local machine shop, and have them modified. Figure the AREA of the four number 54 orifices. Reduce the total area by 10 percent. Figure the orifice size to produce this figure. This will probably still be too much, but as stated earlier, you don't want to go lean. I would suggest figuring three or four succeeding decreasing sizes, and have the machine shop do them all at the same time. Once the shop has the set-up, pretty easy to change drill bit sizes and/or valves. Should make the cost per valve substantially less. If possible, I would find new old stock valves made in the USA for cores, rather than new reproduction versions of unknown origin and quality. You could even start with used valves; but if you do so, measure the plunger tension to make certain the plunger spring is not fatigued.

As to the literature, probably the most comprehensive listing of carburetor literature for sale on the planet, including what you asked about, is located at this link:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Carbshop_lit.htm

The information you desire is located in either Service Book 10-E or Service Book 10-F. I know there is a 10-E listed. Click the Stromberg link, and then scroll to the bottom of Stromberg to find the service books.

Jon.