Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hey you HEMI guys, whats the best HEMI rebuild book?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Oct 18, 2019.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

I ain't got deep pockets and I own the "Bounce around Hemi". (Rolled around in the bed of my p/u :eek: because I was in a hurry and didn't secure it)
    It hasn't run with out missing since I put it back in the car after having the tyranny completely rebuilt. This then means I'm left up to my own devices to solve the problem. I've replaced every thing there is to replace in the ignition and running system, and had it inspected and approved by the best in these parts. It starts right up, idles great, drives out fine until about 25/26 hundred RPM when an intermittent miss takes over. Shift it up to 3rd, cruse and it is okay. I do have the time to go into it because of the weather and I've decided to do that.
    Now I've had it torn down myself when building the car having the heads done, having the cam reground, but never had the rods off the crank and pan off. Of course that doesn't make me the sharpest tool in the shed but I do have enough experience to know that I don't know it all about things "Hemi" and I want to do this slowly and right. I have great help in the form my great friend Jim if I come across issues.

So I'm asking for advise from you Hemi guys in buying the best Book I can buy for tackling this winter project. Thanks in advance for your help.:)
    Oh yeah, this is a '55 331 Chrysler, and I'm thinking broken valve spring, the distributor was in the block when it took is trip, but wasn't rolled on, it just rolled from sitting on the pan 90 degrees to the right then 180 to the left then 90 to the upright position again. No damage to anything external as the headers were on and saved that from happening.
    As a note: I was tongue lashed and the world now understand because of social media that I'm never to be trusted with and decision making process of any kind. Thus............the need for the book. Thanks once again.

The car is slightly non HAMB friendly but not the engine so as I start, progress and finish I'll try, (I say try) and post some pic,s of what I discover and how I mend the problem.
    34Larry.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  2. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Budget36

Budget36

I think a rebuild is wasting time and money, that if you can't figure out the issue, would be better spent on taking the car into someone who can figure it out.

Mechanically I can't see an issue that only occurs at 2500/2600 and then goes away. I mean maybe (and it's a stretch) a wonky valve spring or something goofy with the timing chain...but again, not likely.

My guess would be after the rebuild you'd have the same issue.

I mean maybe send the distributor to someone with a machine that can run it and see if something is amiss-no pun intended-with it, IIRC you put new wires on it. Next up I'd have the carb gone through with someone who knows how to do one correctly for your engine combination.

racer-x likes this.
  4. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

Maybe it's not the engine at all. Maybe the tranny.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.

5. 340 Hilborn gives an excellent example of a rebuild manual.

Have you considered consulting a vacuum gauge?
    They are an excellent tool for the old engines.
    All the basic tools are your friends,,,,compression gauge,,vacuum gauge,,,,they will pretty well tell you anything mechanical that is wrong.

It that checks okay,,,then you go to ignition,,,or fuel.

The fundamentals always apply with the old stuff,,,,the new as well,,,,,but so much electronic on the new,,,,,,a bad sensor will give you false evidence of a problem,,,and you go chasing it and spending money.

Tommy

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'd start with a compression check. That'd tell you if all the cylinders are up to snuff.

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I recommend from the classics
    "The Tale of Three Fifties"... Think about it

8. George

George

The Tex Smith book is good, but there is some wrong and/or conflicting info in it. Have you put "Hemi Tech Index" in search yet?

9. 402BOSSMAN

402BOSSMAN

10. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank's Nick!

That's A BUNCH of good information!

Do You have s'more pictures or, YouTube dyno-pull videos of those telescoping tubes...?
    upload_2019-10-22_10-11-56.png
    Is this the dyno engine? ...Like to geek out on the mechanics...Importance of tube top flare transition?

11. What distributor are you using? I have a MSD ready to run.

12. sunbeam

sunbeam

Start with the free stuff The Victory Library is a good read.

13. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Hemi Haines has built 56 or more Hemis and is an EXPERT go to his site and he has a step by step tutorial for free on rebuilding Hemis There are some very important points covered here