Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Installing emergency brake

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by spillaneswillys, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Looking for suggestions on installing emergency brakes and lever. The truck sits on an S10 chassis. I would like to do this on my own so I need help with suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. jazz1

jazz1

Hand brake lever. Google the Lokar hand brake and you will see pics of bracket that attaches to transmission to fasten your lever. Easy to make. I made a bracket welded into floor of my truck to mount parking brake lever. What ever works as long as you have one.
    You might consider a under dash hand brake lever

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Isn't the correct terminology Parking Brake?

4. oldsman41

oldsman41

What emergency brake. Okay. You can make one up or find a model a hand lever and make bracket to hook to the right side of trans. U bracket with the wire going to the brakes and you got it.

5. evintho

evintho

'87-'93 Mustang E-brake handle mounted to the floorboard butts right up against the trans tunnel. Fab your own cable system underneath. Not too difficult.

[​IMG]

Driver50x likes this.
  6. OH MY, please check out what Lokar have on offer or it will be an E-Brake!!! JW

7. 83FD19EB-4626-4763-93E5-606D601A1B39.jpeg 6D163420-E1FF-4A40-B649-CD721377F999.jpeg

Check out forklift parking brake handles
    Under dash and floor mount
    Easily adapted and strong
    Fab up your own cables

jazz1 likes this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Late 70's Corvette.
    I made this cover for the park break lever in my Nova.
    20160118_092304.jpg

The lever cover for my roadster started as a B&M shifter cover.
    Roadster Jan. 2014 004.jpg

jazz1, 61Cruiser and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. It was an emergency brake until tandem master cylinders came about, then became a parking brake.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

jvo and Jibs like this.
  10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On a street rod, it's an "parking brake". On a hot rod, it's an "emergency brake".

F&J, bill gruendeman and leon bee like this.
  11. Terminology will really help with the OP's question.
    There have already been a few threads on this park/E/hand brake fitting topic.
    JW

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The wrecking yards are full of handles similar to what Evintho showed in post 5 or the one DDDemmy showed post 8. Unless you did some brake mods to the rear end that didn't include the Emergency/park brake hardware that part should be there. some cables and some rigging to route the cables and you are in business.

13. Your right no one cares about proper terminology....I can see where your post was far more helpful....

As far as the question, not sure about the early dodges, can’t remember what they have for an emergency brake but the late 50’s dodge trucks have a slick setup mounted on the drivers kick panel, I can get a picture tomorrow if needed, just came in from the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  14. My '50 Chevy truck came with the Lokar brake on the floor and the automatic gear lever on the steering column. I don't care for the look of either and I'll be going with the Lokar floor shifter and the brake handle under the dash, left of the lower column, someday soon.

15. What the OP needs to do is give us an idea of what the set up is, like the rear end, cross members, doe's he want floor or under dash set up. Post some pics of what you are working with, this will cut out what won't work for you and make things a lot clearer for you. WE NEED MORE INFORMATION!! JW

16. Why do i get the feeling this one ''those'', where the OP asks a question and never comes back. JW

17. gene-koning

gene-koning

I suppose he could always hijack the parking/emergency brake pedal assembly that mounts on the driver side kick panel of the S10 he got the chassis from. then he could just use all the S10 stuff.

They are not real hard. You need something inside both the rear drums to activate the shoes with a pair of cables. The said cables need to be bracketed together so they are activated by one cable or linkage. Then you need a lever or a pedal inside the car that will pull the single cable, or linkage, and can also release the pressure on the cable/linkage. How you make it fit with the car is up to you.
    Instead of having something inside the rear drums activate the brake shoes, I've seen a disc brake rotor mounted on the drive shaft yolk on the rear axle used with a cable activated caliper. That cable activated caliper is connected to the inside the car lever/pedal.
    The old Mopars had a drum mounted on the end of the transmission that housed a complete cable operated brake system. The driveshaft would bolt up to the brake drum. The problem with this system was if you lost the driveshaft, you also lost the parking/emergency brake. Gene

jazz1 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  18. jazz1

jazz1

As well those drum mounted parking brakes were useless in the larger trucks with 2 speed rear ends if 2 speed disengaged. Dealt with that numerous times on the later electric shift type
    I've mentioned this before but....my neighbour had fired up his very nice '32 coupe, turned around and it had rolled out of the garage and hit neighbours retaining wall. No damage but his parking brake kit was on the shelf where it had sat for a couple years.:D