Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Granada Tie Rod End problem???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alteredpilot, Oct 18, 2019.

1. I know, granadas aren't period, but its a period car with a granada disc brake conversion...
    So, The spindles I have are marked 5D7AA and 5D8AA which indicate granada, and the owner said granada. The owner ordered some tie rod ends but they were wrong. I ordered some for a granada and they're wrong (both too big). The tie rods that came off the car have a threaded stud at .430 dia and the top of the taper starts at around .520 dia. I called the local ford old car guys and they are totally bamboozled.

any ideas on this one?

2. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

My 56 Fairlane uses the original tie rod ends.

3. Have you checked the Mustang II tie rod ends? HRP

4. Squablow

Squablow

I know when Fatman or whoever was selling Granada spindles as drop spindles/disk brake conversions for 54-up Ford cars, they always were "reworked" Granada spindles and I'd heard that the reworking was the tie rod ends, although I was under the impression the tie rod end holes were reamed or bored out on the Granada spindles to take earlier pieces but this is 15 years ago memory.

Johnny Gee likes this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too big rather than too small makes one ponder this a bit.
    It may be well worth looking up the original tie rod end for the car it is on and see if there are any specs.

6. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Maverick used spindles and brakes that were mostly the same as Granada but used smaller tie rod ends due to the lighter weight car.

7. Find a real Parts store,and ask to see the Moog buyers guide.There are pictures,and specs given for every part they make.Have your specs with you,and compare.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

MII has a female end to to to the inner half of the tie rod from the rack.
    Stock Grenada has a male end to go into the sleeve on the tire rod.
    Most 50 something Ford cars use an outer tie rod end that takes a 1/2 inch nut.

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

IIRC, there is a difference in manual and power steering tie rods, I think the power ones are the bigger ones. I do remember the center link is different on the Maverick on power steering and manual, so Granada may be, too.

10. Update

The owner found the work order from when he had the conversion performed. It lists the tie rod ends as 67-69 mustang. Gonna look into it and i’ll Report back.

RICH B and Cyclone Kevin like this.