Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1964 Max Wedge A833 and bellhousing identification...help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by II FUNNY, Oct 22, 2018.

1. daliant

daliant

I like the scoop idea, pretty crafty.

II FUNNY likes this.
  2. gene-koning

gene-koning

I'm guessing your going to have fun.
    I pounded the crap out of 23 spline A833 transmissions. If you beat them long and hard enough, you had to hold them in 2nd gear, and they would growl a bit (or a lot) more then they did earlier in life. I killed a lot of clutches, some drive shafts and more then a few 8 3/4 center sections, the transmissions held up pretty well.
    The 18 spline 833 was a beast. Gene

II FUNNY likes this.
  3. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Well the trans held up, but the 8-3/4 broke an axle...it was stock, and I should’ve upgraded. Never made a real pass. Made one soft launch and then missed 2nd gear. (The pedal has more travel to disengage the clutch than it should for a hot rod)and shut down early. The next and last attempt was a clutch dump at 3500 and it spun one tire and headed left, so I shut it down and drive slow down the side of the track. When I got back to the pits I jacked it up and only one tire spun. A few upgrades and some seat time, and I’m sure I’ll have some fun.

4. cool.....glad your having fun !

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

Well, I guess things haven't changed much in all these years after all! A missed 2nd gear, then a broken rear end was the outcome I experienced with my 1st 4 speed adventure, except mine was the 8 3/4 center section that broke, and mine was done on the street. Gene

II FUNNY likes this.
  6. Good to see you making progress and getting out to the track. Moser axles took me 12 years to twist, but not brake with the valiant, and I have done quite a few 6k launches. That are fast to ship out too.

II FUNNY likes this.