Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chasing a Vibration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Oct 14, 2019.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Now I'm certainly not claiming to be the most experienced hot rod builder around. But I do have a fair amount of experience at it in my 82 years on this earth. And for about 50+ years of that, I made a living as a machinist with 24 of those years in jet aircraft engine parts rework that required some damn tight concentricity requirements for the 20K rpms they turn.
    And I'm astounded that at some point in this ordeal someone didn't find the eccentricity in the driveshaft's rotation created by the defective yoke. Guess all the concentricity checks of the driveshaft were done in a lathe or some sort of V block or fixture setup rather than with the driveshaft installed in that yoke on the car?:confused::rolleyes::eek:

kidcampbell71, X-cpe and Boneyard51 like this.
  2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I know this sounds confusing to some of you but with the car on stands a running at 55 in 5th gear there was no determinable movement of the driveshaft. I know it is unbelievable but you could not detect any unusual movement of the yoke or we would have changed it a lot sooner than we did. It's just one of those things. I know I'm relatively inexperienced in the hot rod world but I have done a couple cars and a few chassis in the last 50 years and it's a first for me?

teach'm, warbird1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Your much to modest. Most people don`t have a clue who you are.

4. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Thanks for posting your experience with the vibration cure. I’m not too sure about all the other nonsense posted. Certainly made me consider one more part to question in a long-term quest to cure a vibration problem.

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Please don't think I'm belittling your experience, I'm just trying to figure out how such a persistent and annoying vibration could come from a yoke unless it was somehow machined off center?
    I wouldn't think there was enough mass in a yoke to be out of balance itself enough to be so noticeable a vibration as this one, and that it had to be throwing that end of the driveshaft out of concentricity. Still scratching my head on this one:confused:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Strange Engineering. Made in the USA.

7. There’s some goofy stuff out there

709C10B5-3F60-4D84-984C-C7DA130A41FC.jpeg

big duece and olscrounger like this.
  8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This^^^ have seen this a few times.