Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Snoopy" Model A Hot Rod Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Denns1989, Sep 8, 2014.

1. IRION29

IRION29
    from Alberta

Stogy, What I mean by idiots is large number of "repairs" using Robertson screws where they don't belong. In a Canadian early Ford 100% correct, my Tudor has them in the wood structure that I have replaced (rear window frame, rear body ribs ,etc.) I've seen many cars at shows, in Alberta that have screws meant for furnace ducts in the dash, sill plates, trim ,etc. One '53 Chev convertible, shiny two-tone paint beautiful interior and Robertson screws holding the trim on the body. This not being an isolated example, but a too frequent occurrence. WTF ? Too lazy to go a fastener store?"Well sorry, Eh? Canadian tire didn't have those."

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. IRION29

IRION29
    from Alberta

My Sedan has had the same deal since built. Loosened the rear spring mounts and shim one side no luck. An old guy said to check if the spring is centered on the mount. Haven't tried it yet.

chryslerfan55 and Denns1989 like this.
  3. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Thought I would share this since I wasn't familiar with the name:

"Most of us call Robertson screws 'square drive' or 'socket head' screws. They were invented by Canadian traveling salesman Peter Robertson around 1906. But since Robertson refused to sell exclusive rights to the Robertson head screw to Ford, he turned to use a screw developed by a guy named—you guessed it—Phillips."

4. 5 years ago today, I "extracted" Snoopy & brought him home for a new journey - Here are pictures from that day :)

FB_IMG_1566595003760.jpg FB_IMG_1566594988228.jpg FB_IMG_1566594967509.jpg FB_IMG_1566594951676.jpg

WC145, Jet96, Bowtie Coupe and 11 others like this.
  5. carothersbs

carothersbs

That’s awesome thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Denns1989 likes this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Such a ridiculous find. I can’t even imagine the door opening to that!

WC145, Stogy, Denns1989 and 2 others like this.
  7. lol yep The 1st time I walked into that garage, the owner was apologizing for how dirty the car was etc., meanwhile my brain is saying " HOLY @#&*! over & over again while I silently walk around the car trying not to soil myself... ha ha

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This pic has got a Norman Rockwell twinge to it...priceless...

5yrs ahhh the other anniversary...:D

Congrats...a milestone drive is in order...

9. Milestone Drive was last nite !, 110 mile round trip to a Cruise Nite, today it was to pick up my daughter from school, tomorrow it's going to a Car Show / Ribb Fest ​

Jet96, Bowtie Coupe, OFT and 3 others like this.
  10. manyolcars

manyolcars

Henry didnt use phillips. Thats GM that you are thinking of and Cadillac
    https://chrisduke.tv/history-phillips-screwdriver

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a nice stretch for the vintage joints...I really wanted to hit the Jam Up in Rockton but I ran out of time tonight getting ready...its a 5-6hr drive one way...next year...:(...the weather was perfect too dang.

Three cruises here are 15-30 minutes away the rest 1 hr+

I guess it's similar for you...the problem is most cruises here are not very Hamb friendly...can't wait to see some Jam Up footage...did you go?

Bowtie Coupe and Denns1989 like this.
  12. Please continue posting your adventures with this car. This is a perfect example of why I love the HAMB! tapatalk_1542457083127.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

WC145, Bowtie Coupe, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  13. Ya same here, all shows in my area are not HAMB friendly, I'm the odd man out, but that's ok - I usually am I almost fell over the other night - a guy recognized my Rodders Journal lifetime membership tshirt & asked how long it takes to come in as he got in on the latest offer they had - I told him it was refreshing to meet someone local who knows about that mag ha ha lol.
    Unfortunately I couldn't make the Jalopy Jam Up again this year, its 7 hours one way, I have a 5 year old daughter that's my priority & it's a major investment time wise & financially to make that trip, I really regret that I can't attend, such an excellent show, I can't see cars like that in my area... someday again I hope, they put on an amazing event.

14. Thankyou, glad you enjoy, I'll continue to share Snoopy's adventures ! I love that picture as well

15. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

Just caught up with this thread.
    What a cool car... and a great story... especially since you've gotten to meet the people who owned it, built it, etc., to get their stories.
    I think you are taking care of it in just the right way and enjoying it, as it should be.
    Thanks for sharing it all with us.

-Woog

Nicholas Coe and Denns1989 like this.
  16. Thanks for the kind words, the stories & connections are just as much fun as the car !

Woogeroo, Nicholas Coe, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  17. Jer,

Did you get a picture of our 2 cars together at the MS cruise night on Thursday? I didn't have my Rodder's Journal Lifetime shirt on, but I could have. Sorry. Didn't make it your way on Saturday; we went north for the weekend.

Denns1989 likes this.
  18. I didn't but stole this from fb :) it has a bit of both of our cars !
    FB_IMG_1566950732300.jpg

19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Callahan Auto Parts
    Made by the American Man
    For the American Man
    Big Tom would be proud.
    upload_2019-8-27_18-5-3.png

20. Ha ha It's extra appropriate.. my last name is Callahan - How could I wear any other shirt that day ?

indyjps, Bowtie Coupe, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

^^^^ What he said, Mister Callahan! LOL Gary:D

Junkman Bob, Stogy and Denns1989 like this.
  23. Had to scrape ice off the windshield on my daily driver this morning before work so I decided it was time for Snoopy to go to his winter berth this evening, hovering around 40 'F with no heater makes for a "fresh" ride :).
    Had a construction gang cheer me on while passing thru some road construction & also had the snap on top blow off for the first time at 65 mph - that was exciting ! Just around 950 miles on the odometer for this season.
    Pulled over for a quick picture along the way... 20191018_181030.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  24. catdad49

catdad49

Ha Ha! Sleep Well, Snoopy.

25. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Yes the temperature has dipped out west for the season now as well. Insurance was up on my coupe earlier in the month. Got just under 1500 miles on her for her first year. Hopefully spring comes early in 2020!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rock on Snoopy...the insert ejection must have freaked you out...Wow...glad it was a solo event with no injury...air is a powerful thing indeed...did the top survive? New snap time?

I see mid single digits in the daytime by the end of next week...I was out yesterday and it was around 60F and Sunny...Ole Hotrod enjoyed the hour or so fall jaunt...:confused:...and so did I...:D

27. Yes, I had enough time to think "what's that.." - followed by a zipper like sound as all snaps released in about a 1/4 second - fortunately no cars behind me, I watched the top flutter like a kite in the rear view mirror, but didn't touch down until it was on the side gravel, just bent the front reinforcement strap (that's sewn into the top - leading edge) I just rebent flat, no tears or scrapes ! I stopped & bought a lottery ticket :)

So I think I will try new snaps on the leading edge, a "tounge & groove" slide in style would probably be a better solution but once again the snaps have worked for years & owning a survivor you don't like to change anything unless you really must...

WC145, Stogy, Bowtie Coupe and 2 others like this.
  28. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Glad you were Lucky on the top ejection! Sleep well Snoopy! Gary:D

Denns1989, Bowtie Coupe and hendelec like this.
  29. sololobo

sololobo

I am so in love with that little coupe. Your approach to all this is very admirable and I respect your decisions. When I heard it run I had chills, excited for you and your nice family to enjoy taking care of "Snoopy".

Denns1989 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  30. Thanks for the kind words, It's an honour to be the caretaker, been quite an adventure !

Bowtie Coupe and hendelec like this.