Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Morris Minor Gasser build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Oct 22, 2016.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

savannahDan. You are correct. I have a fresh .020/.020 crank and with some Eagle rods and SRP pistons
    it will be a 13 to 1 294 cu.in. revver . I am getting recommendation's in the .680 lift range and 265/270 range duration @.050. . It should hit a good lick and have the power band of a 2 stroke.

Fiddle Picker, scott27 and enloe like this.
  2. savannahDan

savannahDan

I recently was reading about a 306 build, AFR 165s, 13:1 or so, 520 some odd hp. This is the cam card. It peaked at 7100. It was on E85 however.
    upload_2019-10-9_11-31-25.png

3. southcross2631

southcross2631

Thanks. I will look it up . Has anyone had any experience with Mike Jones cams ? He is from N.C.
    That's a pretty low rpm number. I am thinking I would need another thousand rpm's to make over 520 hp out of my little motor. Where was the article ?

Fiddle Picker and AHotRod like this.
  4. savannahDan

savannahDan

it was by a user on facebook in the pushrod fords group. The peak may seem low due to the heads - AFR 165 are pretty efficient but the runner volume/cross section may be tempering the power band to some degree. Larger runners could shift the peak rpm higher, just a guess.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  5. southcross2631

southcross2631

It must be a custom grind because it is not on their online catalog. They assign part numbers to their custom stuff.
    My ProMaxx shocker 210 heads flow way more than the AFR-165 heads. So it could make more power up top especially with more carburetor. I am contemplating a 950 cfm carb. My AED 750 flows around 820 cfm.
    They will build carbs just for the SEGA once I sent them the rules.
    Thanks again for the info. Are you going to Aiken ? I would love to, but the car is out of commission until next season.
    Going to start painting as soon as I get done with back surgery on the 25th of this month.

Fiddle Picker, AHotRod and enloe like this.
  6. savannahDan

savannahDan

yes it is a custom grind. I'll be at Aiken and Shadyside.
    On the specialty carbs...do they make more power? Comparing a 750 dp right out of the box tuned for 12.5:1 AFR, vs an AED or whoever, same size, same AFR....any power advantage?

Fiddle Picker, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  7. southcross2631

southcross2631

Yes they do make more power. The Holley HP stuff has gotten better due to competition, but a blueprinted tuned for your application will give you more.
    They also asked me a lot of questions before they built the carb. If I was going to the race I would bring my carb and let you try it.

Fiddle Picker and enloe like this.
  8. 6sally6

6sally6

Haven't used him personally but.........Mike Jones is considered a real guru when it comes to camshafts. I believe his Dad was in the same business. I thing a lot of his 'bread & butter' is with the NASCAR crowd. He's real cutting edge. Like I said...don't know him but....have heard nothing but good about his stuff.
    6sally6

9. southcross2631

southcross2631

Good news ! Just got off the phone with Paul from Liberty Gears. Due to popular demand they are starting to manufacture a 300M input shaft conversion for the small input shaft Toploader 4 speeds.
    So you don't have to buy a new clutch disc and a new throw out fork and modify your small block fork. You don't have to buy a new front bearing retainer and throw out bearing.
    Just ship them your twisted input shaft and they will cut it off and drill out the shaft and press in the new 300 M shaft and weld it up and ship it back to you. Lead time right now is about 2 months and the cost is $305.00 plus shipping. In the future if you should make enough power to damage that shaft they will cut the weld and install a replacement for a little over a hundred bucks.
    For guys like me that have a toploader with Liberty guts and can't afford a Jerico or one of the other aftermarket 4 speeds. It is a blessing. I was going to think long and hard about which way to go seeing as I need to build a new short block also.

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

Mike Jones is a Guru, as 6sally6 has stated. I've known Mike for many years, he has a understanding of cam design and technology that very few poses. He is a Go-To for Indy Car engines, as mentioned NASCAR, land speed, off shore boat engines, etc. His ability to make a lot of power and torque where you want and need it, and alow the valve train to live long term is second to none.

Fiddle Picker likes this.
  11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That is good news, I have been looking at my top loader and trying to figure out what I should do before install or just install it.

12. southcross2631

southcross2631

Mine made 3 passes before twisting the input shaft. Traction ,high rpm's and horsepower are 3 things they do not like.
    I can't believe how bad I beat on the one 's in the past, but tires have improved and I was even running a low spring pressure diaphragm pressure plate in my Morris to try and help the transmission.
    Now after I get my input shaft back I can find the next weakest link. Probably twist the tail shaft off.
    Paul said to put a stripe line on it and check a few times during the season. My little motor that I am building will not have much torque and a light switch power band.

13. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

Glad to see you've got a plan hatched to get it back going!

14. southcross2631

southcross2631

I was given this photo from Knoxville . It looks like it was working,too bad I didn't get some more passes to work on it. DSCF3572.JPG

15. southcross2631

southcross2631

A very good friend offered me a 351 Windsor crate motor that he's had for 10 years and never installed in anything. He said it made around 500 hp when new. Not nearly enough in present form.
    The problem is that it puts me right in the middle of the 2 weight breaks for A and B/Gas.
    It's 357 cu.in. and I don't realistically see 300 lbs. to take off to make A/Gas. Chrome Moly cage , all aluminum interior panels , tube front axle vs. I beam . Fiberglass front end. Seeing as how the block is heavier than my 289 block.
    I could use the block and stroke it to 408 and use my heads and the weight is perfect as is . 2448 and the car is 2464 with me in it now.
    I could add 400 lbs and stay in B/Gas. Use my heads and add some compression and a new cam.
    It will need to be torn down as it is on a stand and gets started and run on regular basis.
    probably gas washed cylinder walls from all of the short run no load starts.
    Just another thought to mess up my off season. I know that new headers would be in order, but that was in the plans anyway.

16. southcross2631

southcross2631

While I forced to just sit around and recover from my back surgery. I was looking back at some old pictures of former race cars and realized that I have been missing some old friends and started to look them up.
    One of them is the guy that used to do all of my machine work when I was running dirt track and then went back to the dragstrip. I knew he had left south Ga. to try some new adventures.
    So I googled him and found he had moved back and had a shop, so a phone call and we spent almost an hour on the phone catching up and when I mentioned my Morris he said he hadn't heard of the SEGA and was intrigued by the thought of a small cubic inch ,high rpm motor with no electronics.
    So as soon as I can travel we are loading up my 289 block and heading to South Ga. to see if we can rekindle some of the magic that allowed a successful run of wins on the dirt and on the drag strip.
    Might surprise a few folks and put a bowtie on that blue oval.
    I am open minded to any of his ideas.

Fiddle Picker, scott27, brEad and 6 others like this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

18. brianf31

brianf31

19. AHotRod

AHotRod

Great News!
    I wish you all the best in recovery and Horse Power!

20. southcross2631

southcross2631

21. 6sally6

6sally6

Be sure and stay away from Miller's Cave!o_O
    6sally6

Fiddle Picker and Thor1 like this.
  22. southcross2631

southcross2631

Looked for that for years, never could find it.

23. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got my main girdle in yesterday. Started mocking it up today and ran into a slight issue.
    Contacted PRW and they are working on getting me the correct hardware so the oil pump will set down on the block. DSCF3573.JPG

Fiddle Picker, brEad, Crosley and 4 others like this.
  24. southcross2631

southcross2631

In spite of being busy with the SEMA show. Shaun from PRW managed to take the time to send me a shorter stud and the nut needed to attach the girdle and to clear my oil pump.
    Customer service is not really prevalent in a lot of companies these days. It's good to see some companies take care of their customers.

25. southcross2631

southcross2631

Finally healed up a little bit from my back surgery to do a little bit. Still can't lift over 30 lbs until Jan.
    I made my steering stabilizer brackets and got the stabilizer installed. Should help cure the death wobble that I experienced at Knoxville.
    Got my main girdle mocked up. Now just need to order some bearings and polish the crank. DSCF3575.JPG DSCF3574.JPG

26. southcross2631

southcross2631

Trying to heal up and get something done on the car. I need to get 100 lbs off the car with my new littler motor. I am planning on 40 of that coming off the driver.:rolleyes: My Keto diet starts right after turkey day.
    Started doing stuff that is free today. Drilling holes in the deck lid bracing.
    Might not look like much ,but it weighed a little over a pound and looks cool. there is some metal bracing that can come out in a few places without totally hacking the car to pieces. If it is in the budget, DSCF3576.JPG light weight front brakes should give me a big head start.

27. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

It's looking good, hope everything works out health wise.

loudbang likes this.
  28. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got ready to order my engine parts and for less money than I can buy the parts to build a 294 . I can buy a 334 stroker and it will be 12 to 1 compression with a lot less dome and a lighter piston and I will have enough in the budget to order a cam right away.
    That's a Scat 9000 crank , Scat rods, Icon pistons rings and bearings.
    Just means adding 200 lbs of weight that I can put where I need it, fewer rpm's that I would have had to turn with my 294 inch motor . both combo's would have used a cast crank.
    So I guess it's a 334 inch motor for the Morris.

scott27, Fiddle Picker, enloe and 3 others like this.
  29. southcross2631

southcross2631

Looking for a good used solid roller cam for my combo to save a few bucks.

30. southcross2631

southcross2631

Waiting on my rotating assembly to be delivered this afternoon. Then it's on to having it balanced.
    I can reuse my 50 oz flywheel. Jegs sells a 28 oz balancer weight . Better spending 16.00 for a weight than $ 200 plus for a replacement fly wheel then having a 50 oz flywheel setting on my shelf collecting dust. I already have an SFI 50 oz balancer that I can't use with my new combo.
    Make someone a good deal on that if you need it.

porkshop, Crosley and AHotRod like this.