Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need some parts for 40 Ford Windshield Wipers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57chevywagonman, Oct 17, 2019.

1. I have been helping my good friend with his 1940 Ford 2dr sedan. The original wiper stands are in OK shape and will work with the addition of an electric motor from Speedway Motors. The problem is that along the way someone removed the knurled piece off the end of one of the wiper shafts. I took the other one apart to see what is missing. It appears that we are missing 3 small pieces: the knurled shaft end, the special nut that holds it to the shaft (end is slotted so it looks like a screw) and a small washer with a knurled edge. Is there a chance any of you might have suitable replacement parts? My guess is ones off of another car of similar vintage might fit. Any help or advise is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

3. He is out of stock. This is the problem that I am finding everywhere. Any chance you still have your crusty originals?

4. alchemy

alchemy

I'm confused about which parts you are missing. My 40 wiper transmissions (that's what they are called) have a shaft that sticks out with a very short threaded bit, and a little bit of splines on it. The shafts aren't removeable in any sort of easy-to-do fashion. I'm guessing if your shaft is missing you will need a whole new tower.

The stock 40 tapered acorn-ish nuts are available at all the parts vendors. And my car never had any washer with a knurled edge. https://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/cgc...&searchtextdesc=wiper&sd=Search&searchnumber=

5. The shaft is not missing, just the splines that go on it.

6. alchemy

alchemy

Thinking more, I've seen some adapter kits that added the 1/2" wide splined ends to the original 40 small shafts. This allowed you to snap a modern (70's) arm in place instead of the 40 style arm. I've got no idea where you'd find such nowadays though. I'd just remove that stuff and buy repro 40 arms, nuts, and blades. Simpler and cleaner.

7. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

I think I have some spare. I'll dig around tomorrow.

8. BJR

BJR

Post a picture of what you have, and the other one of what you want. That would be very helpful in finding the parts you need.

9. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I would start calling rod parts places and see who might have them on the shelf.

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They have been unavailable for a few years. I have taken many sets completely apart and had the towers rechromed and reassemble--takes a bit of time and you must be careful not to break anything on reassembly It is pricey too--$120 to rechrome towers-- have done maybe 5-6 sets. Have two sets redone hanging on the wall for the next projects. Baxter Ford used to do this too but not any more.
    Someone on here had a bunch of old towers for a 40 but I can't recall who it was.
    Some claim you can use 40 woody or convert towers which are available but a bit different-I have never tried them.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The previous owner of my '40 removed the wipers and welded the holes shut, so I don't have the originals. I know several fellow '40 owners and I will ask them if they have any parts you could use.

12. It turns out that what we have is parts from the push on wiper conversion. Very simple problem to solve.

I really appreciate everyone's input on this! My buddy decided he just wants me to prep and paint the originals body color. It should look good. We recently had a discussion about all the work he keeps adding to the project and expecting for free. I was very nice and basically cut him off! He had traded me an '84 corvette to fix the body and repaint the car. However other things keep getting slipped in and no mention of additional compensation is ever made. I had to tell him I was not going to do anything more than the agreed work and everything else is not my problem and will not stop me from painting the car. He took it pretty well. ;)

13. alchemy

alchemy

I thought that's what you had.

About 35 years ago we had a '40 coupe that had pitted wiper transmissions. We painted them body color too. But that was back in the days of monochrome treatment on hot rods.

14. Here's a little trivia. Back in the '50's I worked in a junk yard. I also had a '40 coupe. Found out by chance that some other car like a Hudson or some such mongrel had the identical wiper stands. Now all you gotta do is find out which car it was and then go find one.

stillrunners likes this.