Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '51 Mild Custom shoebox coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Tony Ray, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Where, I say where does that man get all that energy? He’s 93 years old and he just keeps going.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Pipes likes this.
  2. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Hey! I can see whats going on Sat, and let you know! the only thing I really need besides the grille surround is to make up my mind on the grille i want to run, and some 51 merc skirts. Maybe a bench set for a 51, havent decided on that yet..I was there friday but had to go back home to go to work..so i missed sat and sunday.. I was ticked..wish I had seen that!

3. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

So i might not get many chances to work on the coupe this year but I’m doing ok with slowly gathering some parts.. [​IMG]
    Lincoln door buttons..
    [​IMG]
    50 Merc grille surround
    [​IMG]
    54 Chrysler grille bar.. and a few more odds and ends..
    Next on the list is 51 mercury skirts, a license plate surround of some sort, some appletons.. 112 or 552s , then it’s body work like radius hood corners, shaving ,nosing and decking.. I haven’t quite decided on the trim yet but I’m looking.. this spring should be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

AChopped1950ford and Peanut 1959 like this.
  4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nice scores!
    Any idea what year buttons those are? Mine are exact copies from '41 and they look a bit different than those ones

Pipes likes this.
  5. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

I thought they were like ‘46’-47s? I could be wrong though.

6. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

I did hear that the ones the guys are reproducing now,are actually smaller then the originals, and supposed to be easier to hook up.

AChopped1950ford likes this.
  7. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Mine are a different story than those you are talking about. One guy i know in here Finland, made a small batch of them yrs ago and they are same size than the originals. The button part looks like different than on yours.
    I think you need a frenching rings too, those buttons just doesnt seat nicely on shoebox doors. They have to be at same spot where the original doorhandle button is. The first buttom assembly i did, i put them below that handle button spot, to make it seat better but that didnt work. It was really hard to push it, because the latch leverage wasnt correct. I did a vol 2. with frenching rings and voila. works perfectly.

IMG_20190819_144309_8 (Custom).jpg

brEad, Thor1 and Pipes like this.
  8. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Man I like those frenching rings you got! It looks better then the ones I seen them sell for the reproduction ones.. I was talking to a buddy and he plans to run them on his as well but was talking about hooking the button up to door poppers, kinda curious to see how he does it, to see if I want to go that route.

9. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks, they are homemade. I made a punching dies for those rings with lathe. My opinion is that you cant get much deeper frenching rings than those i have. There isnt any room between latch lever and the buttons bottom, with deeper rings you need to do some latch lever modifiying.
    I guess your buddy was talking about an electrical poppers? I think its possible to do, but i guess its not necessary needed. Well, some extra boost when opening the door doesnt hurt anyone.
    I think spring loaded poppers do the job too. Not sure yet, but probably i go with the spring loaded poppers.

Pipes likes this.
  10. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

I believe that’s what he was talking about.. I’m just hesitant on relying on something that the battery can die and leave you stuck.. I got a bit to go before I get to that stage so I’ll have to plan it out..

11. Back up plan is a must. Electric poppers and dead batt's. Well on these early Fords the Batt's under the Hood and the Hood release is inside the Car. Double Crap, right? So add external batt charge posts in an out of sight place but easy to get to. What about the hood release cable? Have you ever had one brake? I have, double Crap. You might want to think ahead of that also. If you do, then remote batt charge terminals really aren't necessary. Basically have a plan in place before you need it.

Pipes likes this.
  12. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Grille bar came in.. thing is in great shape and looks good.. haven’t decided if I’m going to narrow the surround always liked the grille to end between the headlights not under) or might use the 51 factory bullets on the ends of the bar.. pretty happy with the directions it’s going now..[​IMG]

AChopped1950ford, Sum54ford and brEad like this.
  13. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Hey rocky,
    Did you ever live in ottumwa Iowa?
    Could have swore I've seen that grey ford around town years ago!
    Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Coachgault

Coachgault

Great reading for a quiet Sunday morning...lots of information and interesting helpful responses....We are on the downhill side of a similar project , a 50 4 door not a barn find but a "tree find" .. rescued from under the protection of a huge Jeffery pine in Toms Place Ca. about a year ago. The pictures pretty much tell the story... although the interior of the car was destroyed by animals, it had a good running flathead 3 speed overdrive, a fresh battery and gas and it fired right up...no leaks no smoke no wierd noises.. filled the master cylinder with fluid and the brake(s) worked...we discovered later only one of the 4 brakes actually worked...
    So now l began considering the possibilities...
    Leave it stock, redo the totally destroyed interior rewire from headlight to taillight as that was ruined by animals as well and maybe paint... Not a bad way to go but costly...although the car would need all that in any case...
    So even though the car had interested me for years...l had tried to buy it from its previous owner for years and the answer was always "One of these days...." I ended up buying the car from his estate...l decided l had chosen the wrong car for a project...it's a four door..and put it for sale....no interest .
    After about a month of trying to sell it and doing basically nothing l decided to try selling just the engine...if l could get enough for it to help finance the project...Almost instant response! So l took a video and some pictures to help confirm the deal and got busy removing the engine and transmission. We then began forming a plan..
    I wanted to drive the car anywhere any time and make sure my wife could as well if she so desired ..I drove cars from those years as a younger man...they were fine at the time...and they say moms and grandmas drove them too..my mom hated them but what choice did we have...
    Power brakes power steering air conditioning good lights comfortable seats electric wipers etc...Bought a good running 93 Thunderbird for a donor car...Ford Ranger rear end...driveshaft from Ford Explorer both from pick n pull..wire from Autozone...The pictures fill in the blanks...and l look forward to more posts from you as your enthusiasm is contagious and gives encouragement to forge ahead to the"finish" line...

Pipes likes this.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  16. Coachgault

Coachgault

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Here are pictures for previous post

Pipes likes this.
  17. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

That's about perfect in my opinion.

chryslerfan55 and Pipes like this.
  18. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

19. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

I actually took out the 3 inch blocks and made a 1 inch block for it. I figured once I get the tires and wheels and put it on the road i can always either put those back in or split the difference!

RustyDogg likes this.
  20. Hey @Pipes do you remember what the part number was for those rear drop springs you got from Summit?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

spiffy1937, Sammy-76, brEad and 3 others like this.
  22. I guess I read it wrong - I thought you got the springs from Summit for $23 - must have been the perches or the original blocks. How's it looking now? Or is that a recent picture?

23. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Pretty much looks the same.. haven’t had any time to work on it and lost the garage space I was using when the place sold. Should be back on it soon though!

24. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

95917632_539875863617287_7992945906066391040_n.jpg 95922657_2523482334632839_3004206869091713024_n.jpg havent got much work done to the coupe, but have bought a part or two.. latest score was today..finally got my 51 mercury skirts!

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    brEad, Thor1 and Sammy-76 like this.
  25. Sammy-76

Sammy-76

Nice score I plan on getting some for my 51 as well

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Pipes likes this.
  26. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

its been on my list of things to get since the first day i got the coupe.. they offered them to me for 330 bucks and i couldnt say no!!

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Thor1 likes this.
  27. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

89150839_2615333785414653_7616680541571514368_n.png 94841498_697989140950399_5169181359087812608_n.png I wasnt gonna post nothing about it, because im not sure if it goes against the rules or not, but I been dedicating alot of time to collecting kustom shoebox ford pics, tech and stuff, for my facebook group, Kustom Shoebox Ford Library, and its been killing my time to actually work on my coupe. Im really hoping to finally get to start planning all the modifications now, and get it a lot of it done by winter. I dont know how these guys run real websites and still find time to work on their projects! between work, house stuff and the group, its crazy. One thing i am pretty proud of is we were able to hook up with a company and do limited series shirts.. came out awesome. now i got some extra cash to buy more parts! hopefully posting more scores soon and then getting some real updates!!

AChopped1950ford, brEad and Thor1 like this.
  28. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pipes, I didn't know you're the driving force behind the FB group! I got the first shirt that got mailed out I think. Thanks for the hard work- FB, here and in the real world.
    You da man!

Tony Ray and Thor1 like this.
  29. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Thanks!!! its a labor of love i think..or a twisted addiction!!

Hombre and Thor1 like this.
  30. Hombre, Tony Ray and Thor1 like this.