Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Story of my '53 F100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cheater Chrome, Oct 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Cheater Chrome

Cheater Chrome
    from So Cal

Good morning everyone,

I posted my intro up a month or so ago and have been trying to find the time to post the story about my '53 F100. Slow day at work, so here it goes...

Back in 2016, I sold my '66 F100 in search for a mid- late fifties F100. Something about these old Ford trucks I just dig. My grandfather was a lifelong mechanic and Ford man and passed the bug down to me I suppose. That being said, I dig all makes and models but just have a thing for these trucks. Anyway, I was scrolling through CL any chance I had and came across this '53 and jumped on it.

The seller was this really cool older gentleman in Riverside. The truck had already been worked on a bit- with the typical 302/C4/9" combo already in there. Other than that, stock. It wasn't running and needed some TLC, but the asking price was low and I knew I had to have it. Cash in hand, I bought it the next morning and had it towed back home.

01IMG_2834.jpg 02IMG_2839.jpg 03IMG_2833.jpg 04IMG_2829.jpg 05IMG_2835.jpg 06IMG_2843.jpg 07IMG_2863.jpg IMG_2845.jpg IMG_2847.jpg

2. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

So, what are your plans for it?

I ask because I started with much the same on my avatar '55 Chevy. I built the truck of my dreams, way too much money spent and now that it's "done" - to the extent they're ever done - I kinda regret not having left it looking more like the avatar than how it now looks.

I'll offer my unsolicited advice, (the worst kind, I know) I'd mostly keep what you already have. Just clean it up a lot and detail the under hood area. Yeah, I'd fix that front fender and attempt to color match it, color sand a polish the existing paint and take some 0000 steel wool to that chrome front bumper. Reconsidering how much effort & expense sent into my own oak redwood I'd now use ordinary fir to make my own bed wood and paint the bed strips black with SS bolts to finish off the bed.

Looking forward to seeing your progress pics. Best of Luck!

3. Cheater Chrome

Cheater Chrome
    from So Cal

So I got it home and the fun began. Let me prefix this thread with the fact that I am not a mechanic or fabricator and have a lot to learn. It's a hobby that I love and enjoy doing when I can (with two kids, wife and demanding job), so the work progress is slow. I'm sure a lot of you can relate to this!

The first thing I did was drop the tank, installed a new one, ran new fuel lines, pump and filter and had the carb rebuilt. I replaced the plugs, put some fresh gas and oil in it and it fired right up! I cleaned it up, put some tires and wheels I had laying around on it, and put my attention to the brakes so I could actually drive this thing.

02IMG_3661.JPG 01IMG_3404.jpg FirstWash.JPG

coupe man, AHotRod, JUNK ROD and 6 others like this.
  4. Cheater Chrome

Cheater Chrome
    from So Cal

Thanks Dan. I've mostly kept it as is so far. Progress has been slow, but I'm pretty happy with where it's at. Thanks for the advice, I agree with that. My plans are to eventually paint it, get it a little lower (stay tuned for those pics), and slowly make it into a drivable/useable, 50's mild custom pick up.

532r5 and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. Cheater Chrome

Cheater Chrome
    from So Cal

After a few months I got enough money to do a front disc brake conversion. The front drums were toast and I decided I (eventually) want this thing to move and haul my kids around in so I went with the discs. I'm happy with them, big difference and an upgrade I recommend. I went with the firewall mount for ease of install and maintenance. Which I'm glad I did since I've had to replace the CPP combo/proportioning valve 2 times already. DiscBrakeConversion1.JPG IMG_2865.JPG CleanedUpDrums.JPG DrumsRemoved.JPG DiscBrakeConversion3.JPG DiscBrakeConversion4.JPG DiscBrakeConversion5.JPG NewBrakeLines.JPG

6. Cheater Chrome

Cheater Chrome
    from So Cal

Next up was some minor electrical work (I still need/want to rewire the truck) to get all the lights working and up to street legal status. I went with some blue dots. Eventually I'm gonna ditch these for some custom lights. The 50 Merc's are cool, but I'm looking for some other options. Suggestions welcome!

I drove her around a while like this, but not for long. I had to get her looking right! (or at least half way decent). I had the bed off so I started the nasty job of cleaning, wire wheeling, scraping, and laying in a pile of rat feces while cleaning up the frame, under cab, etc. I hate this part! I did this for nights on end. I must have taken at least 25lbs of dirt, grime and crud off that thing. I got to a point where I was happy with it, gave it one final pressure wash and laid down some Rustoleum gloss black on the frame and chassis everywhere I could.

Attached Files:

7. Cheater Chrome

Cheater Chrome
    from So Cal

I put new rear end gear oil in it, got the bed back on, installed the tailgate that came with the truck and ran with it. Next up it was time to get it sitting right. I had scored some 8.20 x 15 Firestone white walls on CL and had them mounted and put 'em on with some cheap baby moons. I saved up some cash and took it to North County Spring in Escondido (good people that do solid work) and had a few leafs taken out the the main leafs de-arched. It gave me about a 3" drop all around. What a difference! Now I was getting somewhere... NewTires_StockStance.JPG Lowered_AtShop.JPG NewStance_SmallerFrontTires.jpg

8. catdad49

catdad49

Cheater, looks like you're off to a Great start! Have Fun with it, Carp.

Cheater Chrome likes this.
  9. Cheater Chrome

Cheater Chrome
    from So Cal

I ran it like that for about a year, only doing minor things to it here and there (NOS steering wheel, seat belts for the kids, minor repairs, etc.), as money and time permitted. I really dig the original white dash and interior and want to keep it. One thing I've been wanting to do interior-wise is the steering wheel. I want to put a white '50 Shoebox Ford steering wheel in it but not sure if it will work. Any suggestions on steering wheels?

SteeringWheel.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  10. Cheater Chrome

Cheater Chrome
    from So Cal

Last September I blew a freeze plug and decided it was time to do what I had been putting off- rebuild the old tired 302. The freeze plug that blew was the one right under the motor mount so I had to pull it anyway, so no time like the present! With little to no money I decided to pull it and dig in.

The engine was running fairly well, had good compression all around so I wasn't sure how much it would need. A big issue I had was the way the engine was installed. The aftermarket crossmember was welded to the TOP of the frame rail. I presume that this was done to center the mech fan in the stock radiator and shroud, but it gave it a hell of a downward angle to clear the firewall. It just looked funky. The bell housing was right up against the firewall and my driveline angle was off. (I installed some shims to bandaid it so I could run it). So I pulled the motor and got to work. IMG_1796.jpg IMG_1797.jpg IMG_1805.jpg

catdad49, AHotRod, JUNK ROD and 4 others like this.
  11. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

what a bitching old truck

12. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Man, I love F100s...and want to build a simple driver like you're doing. I hope that when I find "my" truck, it's in as great shape as yours. The changes you've made already are great....truck looks awesome, congrats!

13. Cheater Chrome

Cheater Chrome
    from So Cal

Once I got it apart, I soon found out it had been rebuilt. Not sure when, but I took photos of the tag and have yet to decipher it. But I'm guessing '98? It's a 1968 302 out of a Torino. It was bored .40 over. I was happy about this and kind of bummed, because at that bore a rebuild is pretty much out of the question. Crank and cam looked good, cylinders and pistons were in decent shape.

In January I had to have a minor surgery so my medical bills burned what project funds I had. I decided (which I now regret) to just clean it up and put it back together. I would focus on repositioning the engine, cleaning up the engine bay and firewall.

At the very least, I wish I would have done the rings and gotten a valve job done. But time and money can make us make bad decisions, so I did what I could afford at the time. New water pump, oil pump, freeze plugs, seals, gaskets and upgraded to a 4bl Edelbrock Performer intake and Edelbrock 1405 carb. I cleaned up the valves and heads as best I could. The intake and carb I got off of CL on the cheap. I rebuilt the carb, painted my stock exhaust manifolds with some Rustoleum BBQ paint (holding up well actually), and cleaned up the tranny and painted it.

IMG_1850.jpg
    IMG_1873.jpg IMG_1916.jpg IMG_1970.jpg IMG_2093.jpg IMG_2091.jpg IMG_1862.jpg IMG_1860.jpg IMG_1867.jpg
    IMG_2101.jpg

14. Cheater Chrome

Cheater Chrome
    from So Cal

Thanks man!

15. Cheater Chrome

Cheater Chrome
    from So Cal

Thanks man. Appreciate it!

16. Cheater Chrome

Cheater Chrome
    from So Cal

Thanks Carp. Appreciate it!

17. Cheater Chrome

Cheater Chrome
    from So Cal

Once the engine was clean and assembled I sprayed it with some Duplicolor Gold engine emamel. Really happy with how it turned out and is holding up well. I found some original Cal Custom valve covers to complete the look I was going for. (The second photo was inspired by a photo I saw on the HAMB). IMG_2119.jpg IMG_2197.jpg

cactus1, catdad49, AHotRod and 4 others like this.
  18. Cheater Chrome

Cheater Chrome
    from So Cal

Next, turned my attention to the engine bay. What a mess... I cut out the old crossmember, flap disc'ed the frame to smooth out the welded areas, cleaned it up and painted it. I painted the firewall white because I like white firewalls. Ha! (In addition to looking good, it gives me some light when working on it with the hood on.)

I got the new crossmember positioned and installed properly between the frame rails. The frame had already been drilled for the crossmember, so at some point it was installed properly. Still don't know why the PO decided to raise it above the frame rails (other than centering the fan in the radiator), but I just used the existing holes and it saved me some time. I got the engine back in and positioned where I wanted it. I drilled some holes through the crossmember to keep it at the angle I wanted and used some grade 8 bolts to hold it in place. This way, if I ever need to pull the pan, I don't have to pull the engine.

I had to use a smaller fan (went from 18" to 16"), cut my exhaust to fit, move my trans crossmember, adjust fuel lines, throttle and shift linkage but other than that it was pretty easy. I cleaned up my electrical routing, put a new alternator and starter on it and it was good to go. Or so I thought... IMG_2497.jpg IMG_2514.jpg IMG_2516.jpg IMG_2816.jpg IMG_2840.jpg IMG_2845.jpg IMG_2837.jpg IMG_3961.jpg

catdad49, AHotRod, JUNK ROD and 4 others like this.
  19. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

That would look really good towing my 64!

20. Cheater Chrome

Cheater Chrome
    from So Cal

Initially, it started right up. I timed and tuned it a bit and was stoked to get it on the road. Then it sat for a few days. I went to start it up and nothing. Dead battery. Charged it, nothing. Replaced the battery, and it would crank, but the starter would not disengage from the flywheel. I had to pull the starter cable off the solenoid to make it stop. Bad solenoid. Replaced it. Then it would not fire or turn over at all. Checked all my grounds, everything was up to par. Decided it must me the ignition switch. Replaced it. Nothing.

Finally, I called my buddy Jake and he turned me on to the simple jumper technique. With his advice, I made a jumper out of some 10g wire and some alligator clips. Ran it from the solenoid to the coil, pushed the starter button and it fired right up! Why didn't I think of that! Learn something new everyday...

So I put a NOS ignition switch in there and it's been running ever since. Funny how a new aftermarket switch didn't work but the NOS 60+ year old one did. Makes ya wonder...

So that's where I'm at now. Like I said in my earlier post- I wish I would've been able to do more when I had the engine apart. My compression is still good though, it's doesn't smoke like it did before, runs cool (I switched over to manifold vacuum) and idles good. I think I have a small vacuum leak somewhere that I'm trying to hunt down. But in the meantime, I'm trying to drive it as much as I can.
    IMG_4595.jpg IMG_4601.jpg

Attached Files:

coupe man, catdad49, JUNK ROD and 6 others like this.
  21. eddie1

eddie1

I love those F-100 & yours is damn near perfect. I agree with you if you decide to go with the 50 Ford steering wheel!

22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

As a former '53 F100 owner (1979-1992), I want to say that is one nice F100 you have there, and the modifications you've made are just right!

23. Budget36

Budget36

You nailed the stance, not slammed, but just right.

24. Cheater Chrome

Cheater Chrome
    from So Cal

Thanks Eddie! Yeah, I think a 50 wheel will look right. Your Shoebox looks killer!

25. Cheater Chrome

Cheater Chrome
    from So Cal

Thanks man!

26. Cheater Chrome

Cheater Chrome
    from So Cal

Thank you Arkie. Appreciate the compliments! Still a work in progress so I'll keep this thread up to date as I can.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  27. Cheater Chrome

Cheater Chrome
    from So Cal

Thanks Budget36. I'm thinking of going a little lower with it eventually, but I can live with how it sits right now. I'd also like to move the axle forward and center it in the wheel well.

28. Cheater Chrome

Cheater Chrome
    from So Cal

Drove it to work today. Also went back to the baby moons and trim rings. I'm running 7.00x15's in the back and 6.70 x 15's in the front. IMG_5017.jpg IMG_5018.jpg IMG_5020.jpg IMG_5021.jpg

29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

you have done a great job - for vacuum leak problem, rubber hose can look fine on the outside and be cracked on inside - sometimes best to replace all of them, unless brand new

30. Cheater Chrome

Cheater Chrome
    from So Cal

Thank you Jalopy. That's a good point about the rubber vacuum lines. They are all new, but it's worth looking into. I appreciate the advice.