Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Alternator light?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lance Markel, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Lance Markel

Lance Markel

I'm a Ford guy and when you turn on the key, the ALT light goes red, then as soon as the car starts, it turns off. It also lights when the car is not charging. I would like to utilize and light so I know if the ignition switch is on.

I bought a GM based wiring harness kit and nothing addresses this. Was this done by some component in line of the light that sensed more than 12V that an alternator puts out? Or was this a function of the voltage regulator that the light was connected to? Is there any way to replicate this?

Otherwise I can just have the light on constantly while it's running, but I don't really want that.

2. squirrel

squirrel

an oil pressure idiot light will do the same thing :)

The answer to your question about how the light works, kind of depends on what you have for an alternator...but in general, it's a terminal on the voltage regulator that makes the light go on. Give us more specifics about your charging system, we can help you figure it out.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  3. Lance Markel

Lance Markel

It's a Ford later model 1 wire alternator.

4. squirrel

squirrel

An oil pressure idiot light would probably be easier...and they're quite useful, too, if you use a 20 psi sender (so you can catch the oil pressure drop before anything serious happens)

osage orange, cpd682 and Pist-n-Broke like this.

5. Lance Markel

Lance Markel

Hmmm. What a great idea!!! Thanks so much. Now I need to see how I can have (2) oil senders. I don't think there is room for a T and there is only (1) external port on the motor.

6. squirrel

squirrel

you can use a pipe nipple and coupling to extend the senders... or if it's a mechanical gauge, you can tee it off at the gauge end, not at the engine.