Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration What's good for a backer on a vinyl sign ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Just trying to bring some hometown flair to my NY garage, I couldn't find real signs so I had vinyl made up, I would like to put them on some kind of backer in the shape of the sign to be able to hang them like real signs.
    I have access to 22 gauge (it could be thinner) aluminum sheet but not sure if tin snips would leave a clean edge and I think it's a little thin to cut with a jig saw. I thought about maybe using plexiglass since it can be cut with the jig saw and sanded to get a decent edge.
    What else is out there I can use ?
    I'd like to make the backer a 1/2 inch bigger than the design so I can drill that edge for attaching to my wall. received_479669509277400.jpeg received_2515590175153845.jpeg

2. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

I don't now if it would be perfect for your application but a lot of vinyl signs are backed by corrugated plastic board. It's the stuff that the political yard signs are made out of. (Yes I know yard signs are screen printed).
    But that same board is excellent for vinyl signs too.

Hombre and swade41 like this.
  3. Mattimus

Mattimus

I used to make vinyl signs for a living many many moons ago. You can stick that to almost any substrate. Corrugated plastic is cheap and easy, but will give you slight ripples in the surface. My personal favorite was using acrylic and then flame polishing the edges before applying. I would also suggest misting a mixture of soap and water on the sticky side before you squeegee it on your backer. It will help prevent bubbles and creases. Any bubble you do get can be popped with a razor and squeegeed smooth again.

swade41 likes this.
  4. Check with a local artist supply store, they usually carry a product called foam board, it is about 1/4 " thick and is structurally stiff, normally used for dry mounting large posters .

They may also have Gator Foam which comes in different thicknesses, these products are not too expensive and can be cut easily with a utility knife. HRP

deathrowdave likes this.

5. And while you are at the artist supply store look for spray on glue the comes in a can like spray paint and a roller to get the bubbles out. Tell them what you are doing and ask for their advice. My daughter just turned 13 and I have a lot of recent experience with this type of project.

Charlie Stephens

6. Baked on white aluminum is an option. Expensive in a 4 x 8 sheet, but if there's a sign shop near you, you can offer a few bucks for a drop, in the size you need.
    You can score that aluminum a few times with a razor knife and a metal straight edge. Then break it over a table edge and hit it with a file. Straight as you're going to get it without a shear.

cactus1 likes this.
  7. This is the aluminum sheet I have, its white on one side and black on the other and is .045 thick.
    The trick would be cutting the shape of the shield with tin snips or just dumbing it down to a rectangular shape.
    20191017_171908.jpg 20191017_172142.jpg

8. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Fine pitch blade on a jig saw and belt sand to shape?

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sandwich the aluminum between a couple of pieces of thin plywood and cut with a fine tooth jigsaw.

Hnstray likes this.
  10. 6sally6

6sally6

When it comes to a good backer ....I've always used Levi Garrett, stays moist and not toooooo sweeeeet!
    (Sorry, couldn't resist)
    Luan comes in 4 X 8 sheets at HD and Lowes and jig saws/sands real EZ and it pretty cheap and you can drive a nail thru it and sand and paint it.
    6sally6

Southmark likes this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Sally's right... Luan. The 'only answer'! Many door panels are Luan under the tucks and rolls...Great stuff, 1/8" is affordable.
    A guy was quitting a business in Campbell, CA. Said come get this Luan ply, it HAS to come off the walls before I vacate. It's free if you take it..."
    My F100 was 'sagging' from the weight. I had Luan coming out of my ears, stacked it on my Mezzanine, had Luan wherever I went.
    The 'good stuff'...

12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

MDF is a little higher priced than luan but it is better, much smoother!

5window likes this.
  13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Got that right, Dick...I'd build flying model airplanes with it, but for the weight...

14. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I have used prepainted white alum , check with a metal or sign supply house to see if they damaged sheets. Should be able to pick it up cheap. It will with a good tin snips

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. Bear40

Bear40
    from Minnesota

My wife has a sign shop, therefore I cut a lot of sign materials for her. I would recommend DiBond or AlumaCorr. Both are a composite of thin aluminum on each side bonded to a plastic core. Strong, lightweight, weather resistant, and can be easily cut with a jig saw and sanded or filed to shape. She pays about $55 for a 4x8 sheet of DiBond.
    https://graphicdisplayusa.com/products/dibond/

17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I'd take that vinyl back to whoever made it pronto! They forgot the "L" at the beginning and the "O" at the end...

alanp561 and swade41 like this.
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

So you must be from this part of the country.

19. I will always be from South East Missouri, no matter how many years I live in Western New York !

fastcar1953 and saltflats like this.
  20. So I finally got around to doing this project, I ended up using that aluminum I showed earlier, tried cutting it with my electric body saw but it wouldn't even start the cut so I ended up doing it with hand powered tin snips. Then took a half round file and dressed the edges, turned out good, so I proceeded to my first attempt at sticking vinyl, it stuck with bubbles.
    So I had kept Mattimus' suggestion of using soap and water to position it in the back of my pea brain, I was able to unstick the part I stuck, sprayed it down, repositioned it and squeegeed it out.
    I will admit I was leery of taking the glue off with the soap n water but I had to chance it, so far (6 hrs later) it's still stuck.
    Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone, I'm very happy with the outcome.
    20191203_131050.jpg 20191203_135718.jpg 20191203_135539.jpg 20191203_152507.jpg

LOST ANGEL, saltflats, TagMan and 5 others like this.
  21. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Always good when the original poster comes back and lets us know what works!

swade41 likes this.
  22. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

im from norcal and that sign makes no sence . mfa means WHAT??

23. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Why are vinyl signs on the HAMB....? Go find a real signpainter and back away from the computer.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. It stands for Missouri Farmers Association, a regional coop if you will of people helping people, giving back to your own community.

Because I don't want a pair of $400 dollar signs for garage art, but if you want to put your money where your mouth is, I'll gladly accept your hand painted donation if it'll make you feel better.

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

One of my best friends works for MFA, and another's dad just retired last year.

swade41 likes this.
  26. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Damn man, did someone lick all the red off your peppermint candy? o_O

27. Ha, not at all, I just have no tolerance for stupidity at this stage in my life, make a remark and I'll gladly return the favor is all, but it seems the majority of the people handing it out are offended when it comes back.

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  28. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

wow , I just had never heard of it . im good though . had someone ask on another channel what norcal was . I assumed everyone knew ! that whole assume thing . does what . everyone one knows that one! right? I want a magnetic sign for my pickup cause when everyone says its stupid I can remove it . wonder how long itl last.

29. Well if you're putting a norcal sign on and you live in norcal I would imagine people might think you're just proud of where ya come from, but I'm sure there would be a couple remarks about knowing where you are if you're drunk or something.
    I was born and raised in Missouri, so to me this is just a little piece of home, now I'm just about positive that nobody else in Buffalo NY will have a clue to what it is, but I will and it'll bring a smile to my face.

20191204_171042.jpg

30. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

My avatar is a magnetic sign that is on the doors of 2 of my old vehicles. It is a reaction to some local gold chainer/power parkers. After 4 years of being parked in the AZ sun, removal required a razor blade scraper.

swade41 likes this.