Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I was shocked that the car weighs over 2,700#s. Guess it’s time to get that front axle drilled like old one.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, Hemi Joel and enloe like this.
  2. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I wasn't shocked at the weight because of the dual purpose nature. It has to have all of the safety stuff, the elaborate roll cage, the fire suppression system, the parachutes the wheelie bars, plus the big fuel tanks for nitro and gasoline. Two complete fuel systems, a big blower and drive, 2 complete ignition systems, wiring for Street and race functions, cooling system with radiator and electric fans in the trunk, plus an all steel body. Chrysler had very thick steel panels back then. Don't ask me how I know!

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds light for all that equipment.

loudbang, enloe and Hemi Joel like this.
  4. 20190427_160801.jpg Most of the unlimited drag week cars are 3000 plus. Keep in mind that weight is with me in the car. I'm 195lbs.

chryslerfan55, Stogy, j-jock and 5 others like this.
  5. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I would not have guessed it was over 2800lbs either......chromoly tube chassis, all aluminum hemi, no front end, magnesium spindle mounts, aluminum axle - hell, the heaviest single component is probably the dana 60! - I guess it all adds up....

6. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

On my 31 Plymouth coupe, looking at the doors for example: all of the window regulator mechanism has been removed, the glass has been replaced with lexan, the steel panel on the inside of the door, right behind where the upholstery would be has been completely cut out and a thin sheet of aluminum riveted in it's place. The doors still weigh 40 pounds each! My deck lid with all of the structure stripped out, just the skin, weighs 24 lb. That's how thick of metal they packed into these old Mopars. So think of how much the quarter panels, the cowl the roof and all of the rest of the body weighs. They are not light.

7. squirrel

squirrel

My 65 Barracuda is under 2600 (without driver), that's with the 30# each steel front fenders, the other panels are all fiberglass..no funny car cage, but it does have an iron block Hemi that weighs quite a bit.

keeping weight out of a car is difficult.

Stogy, j-jock, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  8. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

My mentor, Joy Fair, said, "Throw it up in the air. If it comes back down, it's still too heavy!"

chryslerfan55, Stogy, j-jock and 7 others like this.
  9. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

loudbang likes this.
  10. Me and the car are going on a diet. Between the two of us I want a hundred pounds off. I run a dana with a sure grip. Changing to a spool will save alot. Changing the gas tank from steel to aluminum would also save alot. I could loose 10lbs. The rest will come in smaller forms. I think its possible.

11. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

You could also take a shit before ya race it will save a few pounds.
    Tony

enloe and 427 sleeper like this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Ron White:
    You ever take a crap so big your pants fit better?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    chryslerfan55, enloe and 427 sleeper like this.
  13. Tony that's why I eat taco bell the night before a race. Winning isn't always pretty.

14. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Too much information!:p

Stogy, loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  15. The crank looks good along with the rod bearings. The second rings are pinched on cylinders 2,4,6. This was caused by the great cool dry air. I should have pulled four degrees of timing out. It detonated at the hit. The crank will get magnufluxed and polished. The rods will go back to grp for resizing. They do it for free. I have some spare pistons ready to go. I will order some more to have on hand. I have the larger nitro piston pins. Do to the detonation they will be checked for straightness. A light touch with the rabbit turd hone and a fresh set of rings and it's back together. The funny fuel causes funny things to go on inside the engine. 20191012_170145.jpg 20191012_170110.jpg

16. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

YOu can freshen that motor quicker than most of us can change a set of points...

17. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

DragWeek 2020 is gonna get a great view the green machine doin it’s thing.

loudbang and racer-x like this.
  18. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Good to here on the crank. I just got a call from Dave and my crank is getting shipped out today, getting closer. Drag Week 2020 run for some fun, see ya all there.
    Tony

racer-x and loudbang like this.
  19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

20. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great news. All 2020 tracks are within reasonable distance for many of us.

Hemi Joel, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I’ll go to Indy to see some Nitro action, say hi, and cause more damage to my fragile hearing.
    I know that it’s serious day so I promise not to pester

22. squirrel

squirrel

Yes, only 1850 to US131. It was over 2200 to Virginia this year.
    Sent from my Trimline

23. great that will give you extra time to stop by. we can head out together.

24. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Congratulations on the good run Brian! You have definitely earned it. Hopefully we can come watch you and squirrel at drag week next year

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. Moving forward with putting the car on a diet. I spoke to squirrel and dave Schroeder about putting a spool in the car. All agreed it's the way to go. I think I have reached the point power wise it would be safer. I pulled the diff out and found all the case bolts loose. These were lock-tighted and torqued. Further proof the spool is required now. Out of curiosity I put it on the scale minus the gear. The spool weighs 12 lbs. So I loose 31 lbs of rotating weight. I will change axles to gun drilled 40 spline units for more strength and weight savings. Even though they have a larger outside diameter the drilled axles are still lighter. Since drag week i got my fat ass in the gym losing ten lbs. So me and the car are almost half way to our 100 lbs goal. 20191017_092546.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  26. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

So does this mean you won’t be ordering steak sandwich for lunch on Saturday?? And maybe a Diet Coke?

27. Just a salad and water.

28. squirrel

squirrel

several years I quit sodas, french fries, and some other carbs...lost about 40 lbs. Most of it is still off.

makes a big difference. But also, each persons digestive system works different, so YMMV.

29. I quit eating most carbs and sugar about a year ago and lost a significant amount

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and Stogy like this.