Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1939 Dodge D11 steering box repacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stoicescu.a, Sep 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Hellow, I am new on this site and I kindly need a peace of advice: I own a 1939 Dodge D11 luxury liner ( I am based in Europe, Romania) . Will you guys please be so kind to reccomend me a decent replacement for steering gearbox as mine is wear beyond repair ? Any help is much appreciated!

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. brading

brading

Could you take a picture of the box. Seeing as where you live I would be looking at one off a European or Japanese make of car for a box. No doubt you would have to make modifications for it to fit.

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

Maybe try old Volkswagen van? They were popular for side steer applications. Don't have first hand knowledge, however.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. brading

brading

As it is a side steer a Ford Transit van would be another option.

6. Mopar steering boxes were basically the same from 1939 thru to 1948, when I installed the 318 poly in my 1940 Oz Dodge in 1973 I ended using an Austin 1800 rack & pinion narrowed 9"....works fine 45 yrs later but now I'd use a GM Cavalier centre steer rack......but getting back to your question........what is actually worn?..........bearings, bushes and seals are available but the worm is hard to find, same with the roller......yrs ago I installed an Oz GM Holden steering box in a 40 Dodge Coupe, these were an alloy box that I made an adaptor up for so that the Holden box bolted onto the Dodge chassis, then used a GM steering column vibration damper and shortened the Dodge column with a sealed bearing where it was cut..........I assume your 39 Dodge is still LHD so I'd be looking for as mentioned a Japanese or European car that uses a separate steering box, with sufficient pitman shaft depth to suit the column angle and chassis depth............another concern would be whether you intend to use the original column and therefore its column change mechanism or not.........have you checked out the various aftermarket steering boxes that are now available especially those that are available for the 55-57 Chev market, they are a separate, stand alone steering box and would be similar in overall shape/profile to the original box.............this all assumes that you are just running the original engine etc.......but are you?............regards from Oz...........Andy Douglas

Attached Files:

7. brading

brading

Another one Landrover steering box

8. Thank you everyone for your kind feedback! I am indeed intending to use the orriginal steering column while the orriginal engine is installed and running. The steering box worm and sector are both quite severely worn. There will not be a problem purchasing a steering box replacement (or repair kit) from the US but I do not know what to buy and where to buy from. Here's a picture of the steering box at the time I have purchased the car. Any help or suggestion is much appreciated

Attached Files:

9. brading

brading

Might be worth trying the GSRA German Street Rod Association or the SSRA Swedish Hot Rod Association to see if either of them can help you out. I will ask on a couple of forums over here.

10. Well, I'd be removing the original box,pulling it apart and chase up what is worn.........try wwwoldmoparts.com, Andy Berbaums for bearings, seals etc tho the bearings and seals in theory maybe even available locally via a good engineering shop in Bucharest.........for the worm & roller I'd be checking ebay regularly.........also suggest you join the P15-D24 Forum as these guys maybe able to suggest more options.............you say that you do not know what to buy..........if this is the case then I would strongly suggest getting a workshop manual and a parts manual and read them cover to cover as until and unless YOU know what you need and how to fix it you are going to be a cheap feed for unscrupulous people who probably don't know anything as well...........knowledge is king and you need to gain it before spending your money...........andyd