Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 Ford Ranchero Seat Belts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by captaintaytay, Oct 16, 2019.

1. I definitely need to install seat belts (2 Point) on my ride.
    Looks like pre 62' didn't have them or any mounting holes to install them.
    Just don't want to take any chances, besides wifee won't ride in it until I do something (maybe that's a good thing):D
    Can anybody direct me to a site or thread about measuring and installing them?

2. 62rebel

62rebel

I thought all the Fords had mounting plates in the floorboards after 56.... should be there or up on the transmission tunnel and on the side under the door. Probably have rubber plugs in them. Then again, someone could have replaced the floorboards and didn't have mounts to install.

captaintaytay likes this.
  3. 62rebel

62rebel

Anyway, the guys on the TFFN site can tell you exactly what you need.

4. Seat belts became mandatory in 1966, but I believe they were a option as far back a 1955 for Fords, so there is probably a reinforced area the seat in the floor for a mounting point, you can purchase a couple of new lap belts from a host of vendors and they will have provisions for bolting them to the floor.

You can trim off the excess. HRP

5. Thanks for the reply's gentleman.
    The PO included brand new shoulder belts in the sale.
    Those will require drilling holes on the, I believe "B pillar".
    I'm sure they would work alot better, but there ugly and I
    just don't want add holes if I don't have to.
    I just want to stick with lap belts.

6. chopped

chopped

Weld a nut to the B. Shouldn't harm the paint. That's if there is a double plate there.

7. 62rebel

62rebel

I added shoulder belts to my '62 Tudor by welding a plate roughly where the coat hooks were. Didn't have the headliner in,though

8. My '59 Ford actually had a reinforced area on the trans tunnel. I re-purposed some huge front end washers (lower a-arm?) that were at least 3/16" thick to use from the bottom. Some of the belt vendors sell plates and washers.

The fronts are 3-point, I mounted the top point at the b-pillar, Wesco sold me a pair of plates to use from inside the pillar. I had to drill a bigger hole lower to fish the plates through. They had clearance holes for #10 bolts, which I tapped for 1/4-28 grade 8 short screws.