Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Took out 42 year old daughter for a ride in my old beater

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 15, 2019.

1. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Your story is touching. There can't be anything much more rewarding than seeing
    your daughter smile.

HOTRODPRIMER and Gman0046 like this.
  2. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I am going to vote for the radio. I suspect that your daughter has a favorite radio station, and playing that station adds a touch of familiarity.

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Good on ya, Danny. So what kind of stereo are you getting?
    ''Radio''. How archaic. Oh, wait a minute, this is the HAMB....

4. gene-koning

gene-koning

When my grown kids call me "daddy", they usually want something.
    We are a pretty close family and we get together very often. They usually call me dad, so when the "daddy" shows up, I'm pretty sure they are trying to butter me up for something. When the "Daddy, I love you!" comes out of their mouths, I'm really being set up! Its becoming a running joke, but I do my best to accommodate them as much as I can.
    I think I'd probably install a radio, maybe she will ride along more often. Gene

5. Is the radio installed yet ?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. As a father of three beautiful daughters this hits home for me

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

You are a good father and grandfather you and your wife should be proud of yourselves. It has been my observation with all the old car guys I have known - my father and father in law included . That EVERYBODY in their family gets looked after FIRST and then their hot rod hobby gets indulged on!

HOTRODPRIMER and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Well said…..

raven, guthriesmith, Oldioron and 3 others like this.
  9. Great story Danny. I have two adopted daughters from India that sadly came with different opportunities (baggage) than what Melinda deals with. The older of the two is now 20 and we don’t see her at all because of things that have happened mostly stemming from that baggage. The younger is 14, almost 15, and I am seeing the time together slip away. Just yesterday, I spent some time trying to research where she was from as we are considering a trip back to India to search out her biological brothers, etc. I also have two sons that I am blessed to be able to build old trucks with. But, there is just also something special about a father-daughter relationship.

Oh, and another vote for a radio in your 32 coming from a guy who doesn’t have one in any of his old cars. :D

10. Thank you for the kind comments, I am totally inept when it comes to the technology concerning electronics but I'm going to look into this blue tooth speaker thing, Melinda has a phone that she can play music on.

When we are in Brenda's wagon it does have a radio and a cassette player, I know it's antiquated but it works. HRP

11. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Danny, you are a much better man than I am, if that happened to one of my kids ( girl 31 boy 26 ) I don’t I could get up off the floor and live a full fun life like you and Brenda seem to do.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. derbydad276

derbydad276

my daughter also had a Closed Head Brain Injury... lucky for her she has over came most of it ...
    what frustrates the hell out of her is that it ruined her memory..
    her early teenage years are gone & cant remember her Freshman & Sophomore years of High School
    she also gets upset, when... people come up and start talking to her, and she can't remember them .

13. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

My baby girl had a brain injury at birth, she's 16 now. Even though she's non verbal, confined to a wheelchair, tube-fed, she is, by far, the happiest person I know. Obviously she can't ride in the Merc, but we do get her out in the wife's 2 dr Jeep.

14. [​IMG]

Danny, these JBL speakers are small, portable, easy to find, and can be used with your phone or an iPod. Sit it in the back seat and your good to go!

15. 6inarow

6inarow

Nice story about a nice daughter. Peace to you and your family!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. 343w

343w

Thanks Danny for the post, I have four girls, there is a special bond with them all, especially when they get involved with our hobby and the questions they ask about their own car needs..

17. God Bless you man! My daughter and granddaughters are 3000 miles away, so I don't get to see them often. My son has not spoken to me or his mother in years. Three grand-kids I never see. Enjoy the time together with your children.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. As others have mentioned, I too am a father of two daughters, and a grandfather to a girl and two boys.

Being called Daddy or Papa is a special thing. And I'm lucky, they're both close to home (one is on her own, single-parenting the three kiddos, so we help out often...the other is in medical school and comes home as she can.) We talk to at least one of them daily. And frequent Facetimes with the kiddos tie us over until they can stop by. We did jack-o-lanterns last night...

[​IMG]

dana barlow, Gizzy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

RADIO*;;;Sound track of life we actually have a little control of,can add a great deal too feel an mood to boots happy up or fight off bad. The side thing here is,it can help others too enjoy parts of your past with you in the now.
    In my teens {1950 an early 60s},it was a transistor radio the size of a pack of Camel's ,plus added ear bud, if driving.
    As time moved on,my happy sounds by the 1990s not be found any more { no old'y station plays 50/60s any more}. So had to add a hide away chip player with 250,,, 55 to 64 oldys an two 5x8" speaker hiding under dash out of site
    { but no sucky beatle's crap}. There is only a very small keypad on side of steering to, Off/On/FF/RW.
    Now days the young tech heads can do it in there fancy phones,I still don't have that type phone !!!
    009.JPG

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. Loke you Dana, I am way behind the times when it comes to technology, ie cell phones, the one I have you say hello & good bye, it's small and fit's in my watch pocket (how fitting, it does have a time feature) it's so old that I tried to look it up on line and they don't go back that far. :rolleyes: HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  21. HRP, I understand and work with techie gadgets...but it doesn't mean I have to own them. Don't bother with the cell phone, just get a speaker that has a 3.5mm plug, go on eBay and get a good used iPod (for cheap) and a 6-8' 3.5mm cable. If you go down the cell phone route then you have to get one with enough memory to hold a bunch of songs (or the cloud) which equals higher price and then your doing the "I need a new phone as soon as it comes out" dance like everyone else.

[​IMG]

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

Hrp just find a younger person to get the music happening in your car for you cost don't matter your daughter's smile ,even smile with her eyes will make it so worthwhile ,treasure your family as it is priceless , please don't think I mean your a cheapskate just don't be like me and say I will do that when I have time do it now make your girl happy I'm sure all your family will agree

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Danny you've mentioned you daughter from time to time and I have to hand it to you and your wife. Tough row to hoe but focussing on the positives is the only way to go. I've seen various people in my life that were in the same situation. We all want our kids to grow up and move on but that can be bittersweet as your "baby" kind of disappears so you are blessed in way, especially to be called Daddy. So I'm glad you're doing the right thing and exploring the various suggestions proposed. Now to help you when driving your '32 you can always program up era correct songs from the thirties all the way up to whatever time frame you think is appropriate to your car. Soothing medication for your ears!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    HOTRODPRIMER and dana barlow like this.