Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Qjet or Edelbrock?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scumdog, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Scumdog

Scumdog

Ok, going to change the Smokey SBC in the ot truck.
    It already has Edelbrock manifold and carb but I also have a fully rebuilt Qjet and manifold.

What would be best for drivability and economy?

2. I'd use the Qjet. Just keep your foot out of it for fuel economy. Those secondaries can suck a gas pump dry.

Nailhead Jason and Deuces like this.
  3. Never liked the q jets. I would use the Carter AFB

4. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Whatever carb you can and will spend the time to adjust correctly has good chances of working well. The Q-jet was good enough for many car manufacturers for ages, so it's probably good enough for you too.

belair, papadaddio and Deuces like this.

5. Deuces

Deuces

Q-jet....... ;)

papadaddio likes this.
  6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Edelebrock is my choice

Montana1 likes this.
  7. carbking

carbking

No absolute answer, it depends on your desires.

If your engine is mostly stock and you want maximum driveability, fuel economy, and horsepower as well as reliability; then the Q-Jet is the answer.

If you want to be the koolest kat at the drive-in with the hood open, then, depending on the experience of the viewers, maybe the clone is for you.

Regardless of which you choose, use a manifold designed for that style (spread-bore - Q-Jet, or square-bore - most of the clones). Never mix manifold styles and carburetor styles using an adapter.

Jon.

egads, Blues4U, arkiehotrods and 7 others like this.
  8. Q-Jet for sure. I have a so-so relationship rebuilding them, but a local shop does a great job on them.

Deuces likes this.
  9. BJR

BJR

Q jet for sure. They came stock on Cadillacs and many other cars. If it was good enough for Cadillacs with 500 cubic engines it's good enough for me. Good drivability and performance.

Deuces, bill gruendeman and belair like this.
  10. If it's going to be a hot rod, then I would choose the Edelbrock.

11. Terrible80

Terrible80

12. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Quadrajet.

Never could tune that cornering stumble out of those AFBs. Our roads hear are very steep and curvy..

What ever you chose, use the intake manifold that was designed for it instead of spacers..

Deuces likes this.
  13. Did you find out what was wrong with the engine currently in it?

14. carbking

carbking

RJP - just read your variation on the glass 1/2 full parable in your signature.

The variation I like is:

The pessimist sees the glass as half empty
    The optimist sees the glass as half full
    The engineer simply designs and builds a glass of the proper size.

Jon.

15. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a quadrajet carburetor as long as it's properly tuned and in good condition but they can be a major pain when it comes to rebuilding, not everyone can rebuild a quadrajet carburetor and get good performance.

I have had good success with them in the past but since I am not one that want's to be fiddling with a carburetor I started using Edelbrock's more than 20 years ago and I have been well satisfied. HRP

16. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I have only used edelbrock carbs for 20+ years on a 58 Edsel and a 63 Cadillac -so I can not comment much about quadrajet carburetors. But the edelbrocks never seem to give any trouble especially after sitting for long periods .I started the Cadillac after sitting for 5 years this summer - dribbled some gas down the carburetor fired it up and drove all summer. Never gave any trouble. And that carburetor is 15+ years old.

6sally6 and Montana1 like this.
  17. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

Q-jet. And tune it with a wide band A/F ratio monitor. The part throttle ratio is easy to adjust. Fuel economy will improve.

bobss396 likes this.
  18. AHotRod

AHotRod

Q-Jet for the Win !
    Been using them all my life.

Deuces and scrappybunch like this.
  19. I ran in a stock car class, the rules were no Holley 4-barrels. I ran a Holley 2-barrel with success, but a lot of guys ran Q-Jets and the cars were fast. If they are set up right, they are as smooth as silk. Carter used to re-pop them around 1975 or so and the $$ was very right.

scrappybunch likes this.
  20. Q-Jet would be the best all around, I believe. That is, if you like to tinker and tune a bit til you get it right for your application. Those things were used on everything from a 230 ci OHC six to a 500 Cadillac, so there's a lot of variations in them.
    Once you get it right, you shouldn't have to mess with it. The secondary flapper spring might loosen up after a while, if you use it a lot.

Truck64 likes this.
  21. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Qjet here too.

Built them for yrs, everything from stock to dual qjets on a 350 tunnel ram.

Played with edelbrock and quickly understood why the qjets replaced the afb carb.

AHotRod likes this.
  22. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Qjet -one of the most efficient best designed ,most used and.....most disrespected , abused , maligned carbs ever built...

23. Q-jet for a driver
    Holley for a drag car
    Idelbricks for carrying lawn chairs to the monthly cruise night

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    INVISIBLEKID, jvo and Deuces like this.
  24. slack

slack

25. Scumdog

Scumdog

Nah, still taking it out of the truck.
    Vac modulator good, under valve covers clean so at the moment I suspect it's plain wore out.

26. I would run a Qjet, but I’ve had great success rebuilding them. The only problem I’ve come across is the throttle shaft bushings getting worn out in the base plate.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

BJR likes this.
  27. BJR

BJR

X2

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  28. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I've always had good success with Q-Jets... 51357631_2004356099601861_8767528878349484032_n.jpg