Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SB Chevy to Rambler American Swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by essco, Jul 28, 2009.

1. essco

essco

Am in the early stages of stuffing a small block chevy V8 with a 350 automatic in a 1964 Rambler American. Would like to hear from anyone out there who has been thru this that can offer some good wholesome advice like how they built motor & trans. mounts since nothing is available for this model. Thanks for listening. ED S.

2. I did mine back in 92, fits great, I would recomend making sub frame connectors, as this stiffens the car alot. I used the stock 6cyl motor mounts and circle track ear style mounts, but I am going to change that this winter to reg sbc mounts. Bigest thing is make sure the dist clears the wiper motor, use a small cap dist, like a MSD or points. You can use camaro/nova headders, and if you want, the colum shift can be used with slight mods. A cross flow rad also can be made to fit with a bit of trimming. If you have any ? just ask, I can get some pics if you want.

3. milorat

milorat
    BANNED

I didn't do the swap but fits good.350/400/9" rear.

Attached Files:

4. 440H

440H
    from Colorado

digging up an old thread, hey Fullblast I would like to see a few of your pictures of that rambler. what year camaro headers did you use. also Essco any progress ??

5. aaggie

aaggie

Old Ramblers make cool sleepers but beware of the hidden rust areas. Check under the front fenders as water collects and rots away the whole cowl and inner fenders and you won't see it until the fenders are removed.

There are no aftermarket panels available and the repairs needed will probably cost more than most people would be willing to pay. That said they are real light and 250 HP should really wake it up.

6. I use the first gen ones, but I need to change them, thinking early corvette, hug the block more, and don't want them to get too close to the firewall. Prob make some as my welding skills have improved. But the Rambler is on hold for now{have to have somethinfg to drive} till I get the 50 pickup to driving status.

7. 440H

440H
    from Colorado

>Fullblast thinks for getting back, so 67-69 camaro headers actualy fit and cleared o.k. ?
    would still like to see some pics if you ever get a chance, how did you solve the trans crossmember mount problem. thanks again..

8. farna

farna

Most people mod the original trans CM for the new trans mount. There should be more than one mounting point under the car for the trans CM, you may have to move it. Not hard to make a CM and bolt it up through the floor -- just drill up through the "frame" rails and use a fender washer or metal plate on the floor. Carpet covers the bolt heads, but you can use carriage bolts for the rounded heads.

9. TexasKen

TexasKen

Anyone have any pics of the headers in a rambler american with sbc? I have a 64. With a 327 sbc , powerglide and ford 9 rear . I’m looking to put headers on .

10. farna

farna

This guy uses the stock front suspension with an SBC with Chevy II "over the rail" headers. Cut just enough fenderwell out to let headers through. The humps needed to be removed anyway... Note the extra bracing though. The vac wiper motor is inside the cowl, so it shouldn't get in the way. If converting to electric use one of the cable drive types with the motor on one end (kick panel mounted). If you want to check salvage yards Jag XJs use that type, you'll just have to modify the cable length. Get the pivots and arms too. You can mount a pivot "upside down" on the cable to change direction (cable on top instead of on bottom). Cable on top or bottom of both runs them in the same direction (back and forth instead of to and away from each other).
    63 American ChevyII over rail headers.jpg

11. You really need to do an intro post before anything else here.

12. TexasKen

TexasKen

I for sure not cutting into the car like that . I’m sure they make headers that will fit

13. farna

farna

Duh!! I re-read your post. You have a 64, that photo is a 61-63 (58-50 about the same). Don't know why I was thinking you had the earlier, smaller body!!

Most block hugger headers will fit the wider 64 American body with no issues. It was designed to take the slightly wider (than SBC) AMC 66-69 Gen2 V-8 (and 70-91Gen3 fits). Anything meant to fit a 64-67 Nova should fit with no problems, 68-74 Nova as well. Camaro headers are probably too short, with the exception of 67-69 first gen.

There are no header to fit the little/narrow 58-63. That's why the guy took that radical route with the Chevy II OTR headers. No worries in that body -- it's VERY stiff and has rails that run continuously bumper to bumper. Plus that particular car has a full roll cage. It's a wheel stander -- so yeah, it's sturdy enough!!

14. Leeguy

Leeguy

Purchased this car last year - now just starting to get it sorted. Looking for some pointers on headers for my 69 Rambler with a 350 installed. Must pull headers off to remove #7 plug, and even then it's a MAJOR pain in the ..$$
    I see above that the 62-67 nova headers should fit. Anyone try them with good luck? I'd like to purchase rather than custom if possible.

Thanks for any guidance - help!

Engine.jpg 1978 Rambler.jpg Also, I'm including my first version Rambler back in 1978. It was all AMC. 1/8th mile - Neita Raceway Iowa. Sure was a lot of fun until #5 rod went through the block.

Just Gary likes this.
  15. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I put a 327 Chevy in my '64 American back in the 80's but unfortunately I've forgotten a lot of it. I do remember using those Chevy II headers. I do remember having to mod one pipe, but I can't exactly which one or remember why. I think it was the pass rear - heater box maybe - I just can't remember. I'd take a look in the garage, but long ago I pulled the chevy and put a hemi in it. Wish I was of more help. Fun car - FUN SWAP!

16. Leeguy

Leeguy

Thanks, HemiRambler! BTW, that is an awesome digger pic! I have to mention that this is my son's racer. I think I'll purchase a set of the 64 Chevy Nova headers, and see how they fit. What I have will definitely be removed. This was the first "shakedown" 1/2 pass, late this year.
    IMG_0054 -u.jpg

Greenblade, Just Gary and Baumi like this.