Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects model A coupe build from Down under New Zealand

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by whitewallwilly, Jun 23, 2014.

1. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Thanks,, really enjoying this build, when this is done ive got my 56 nomad to do a total job on

2. Kool looking rig,it’s a credit to ya!

whitewallwilly likes this.
  3. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Well ,back home from my trip to California to The Hotrod Reunion,,,,,,this 1960 Ford Fairlane followed me back to New Zealand,,brought it off a friend up by San Francisco,drove it down to Bakersfield to the Reunion,,,always a great event,,also went out to Santa Margarita to the RPM Flathead Nationals ,man that was an awesome day,,,I would recommend that to anybody ,vintage flathead drags,,,swapmeet ,an Hotrod display,,,it was well run ,
    Carried on down to Huntington Beach via the Grapevine, spent the last week picking up a few parts around that area ,for up an coming projects,before dropping the car at the shippers IMG_6694.jpg IMG_6696.jpg

Now back into the Model A,wiring is now complete,,,,and ready to fit the cowl to windshield panel that used to be the fuel tank,,,,,
    All the wiring is accessible from underneath the dash,with the relay panel hingeing down for access IMG_7588.jpg

The heater/windscreen demister pipe will have an outlet attached and directed to the windscreen thru the slots in the lower rear cowl area,
    The list is now getting much shorter,,, and a few jobs to do for our LVVTA(Low Volume Vehicle Technical Association Inc ) Certification that is a requirement in NZ, IMG_7587.jpg

Attached Files:

clem, catdad49, JUNK ROD and 7 others like this.
  4. AHotRod

AHotRod

What a sweet Fairlane ... nice score!

5. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

What a sweet wiring job!

clem and whitewallwilly like this.
  6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I really like what you have done under the cowl / tank top, but what are your plans to keep everything dry in less than perfect weather? I'd love to do something similar when my 29 coupe build starts. Thanx, Gary

Stogy and whitewallwilly like this.
  7. Just found and read through this thread. Car is turning out very nice!

Stogy and whitewallwilly like this.
  8. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Thanks for the comments,

Stogy likes this.
  9. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Thanks ,it drives well,did a heap of work on the car when I got it ,prior to my road trip,,ran like a top

Stogy likes this.
  10. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Hi Gary
    Thanks for the comments,I will be fitting the cowl cover this weekend,I will be using a sealer instead of the original type sealing ,I reckon I will get it sealed up pretty good with a black silaflex type sealer
    Cheers

brEad and Stogy like this.
  11. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Starting to bolt on some of the little parts that just finish things off,
    Fitted the heater switch and ran the vacuum line to the gauge IMG_7599.jpg Fitted the "Guide" Traffic View Finder, IMG_7600.jpg . Tested the tail lights ,brake,flashers,still have to fit a couple of small reflectors IMG_7604.jpg . Front park lights also double for flashers IMG_7606.jpg Dash lights, red oil pressure light on left and generator charge light on right,and illuminated heater light comes on when heater switch is turned on, IMG_7608.jpg

12. Lots of great details.

13. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

IMG_7636.jpg
    Hi Gary
    Fitted the cowl top cover today,used a good quality paintable sealer insetead of gasket seal strip,,,, the toughest job was getting the 10 rear bolts that go up from behind the dash panel,used some turps for clean up

PJ

14. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Picked up the seat today,really happy with how it turned out,,,,grandma's old leather couch just got recycled,
    Door panels and kick panels will be next

Just got to get some leather conditionier on to the surface
    IMG_7634.jpg

This potato sack was used in the Model A seat as a layer under the seat cover,I will hang it up in my shop, IMG_7622.jpg IMG_7623.jpg

Fitted the cowl cover ,used a paintable sealer instead of the gaskets,,
    Going to have to modify a spanner, to tighten the cowl stainless moulding lower threaded bolts ,,man they are tricky little mothers to get to, let alone start the nuts, IMG_7636.jpg

Attached Files:

15. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

So tonite I needed to tidy up the areas either side of the Newport Enginering Wiper motor,, rather than try an cover it over with a fabricated cover I thought it would look ok exposed,I added a little Trico Wiper brass name plate,some polished stainless mounting bolts ,and I cut a plate to cover the header wood either side, IMG_7656.jpg

left side IMG_7664.jpg

R/H side
    IMG_7655.jpg 've got a couple of brass plaques to rivet to the R/H plate ,,to smart it up a bit IMG_7661.jpg

Attached Files:

catdad49, JUNK ROD, Rich B. and 4 others like this.
  16. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

exposed motor with the new timber look well.how did you route the wiring

17. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Managed to feed the Wiper wiring up thru the l/h front pillar,I did this before I installed the wooden front header then routed a groove thru the wood for the wiring the run,
    Cheers

Rich B. and nunattax like this.
  18. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

did something similar with my 38,routed the wiring through an oil hose up the A pillar

19. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

So today I took the Model A for its first run,,loaded some tools into the trunk,my wife said to hook the car trailer onto the back of the pickup ,in case I needed to get her to come get me if I broke down,,,,,,, I said to her ",have faith in my workmanship,now get in your driving"

IMG_7667.jpg IMG_7669.jpg

We took a few back roads,the car ran well IMG_7671.jpg

Even stopped for an ice cream IMG_0182.PNG Didnt realise my wife had her best driving shoes on for the occasion IMG_7675.jpg

The car ran well,,ive still got a list of things to finish off,but it was good to finally drive the car,

I've got to get the speedo reading right,,at 60 mph the speedo is reading 87mph,,
    I've changed the drive gear to a 9 tooth part I got from AGE,I've got 7.50 16 tires ,which I reckon are round 30.5"diameter,an the rear end ratio is 3.19 to 1,,
    The speedo calculation says I need an 18 tooth driven gear,, which I done ,but the speedo is still a long way out
    I'm thinking maybe a speedo ratio adaptator like PATC sells ,, but I'm trying to figure what percentage in need to change by,,,I have the full range of the color coded driven gears ,so if I can get the speedo reading close to being right by adding a ratio adaptor, then I can dail it right in by changing the pencil type driven gear

My tachometer is also not working,so I can't tell what RPM the engine is doing,,the tachometer was working in the car I took it out of,I'm wondering if by fitting a Pertronix unit to the distrubor, its not picking up the pulse

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    clem, catdad49, JUNK ROD and 5 others like this.
  20. Looking good Willy :cool:

21. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Very, very nice!!!!

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats on this Milestone @whitewallwilly...Careful your on the wrong side of the road...;)

Joking aside your a natural for this thing...thanks for sharing the journey...

23. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

You got the stance spot on, what a great
    Hot Rod !!

Rich

24. sharpmark

sharpmark

Impressive ! I like the photo outside the store - great stance. Congratulations on a mighty fine looking hotrod !!!

25. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Thanks

26. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Thanks kadillackid, it's been a lot of work, but throughly enjoyed every moment,,, next in line is my 56 nomad,Ive owned this for over 15 years,an only driven it the day I brought it,,

catdad49 and kadillackid like this.
  27. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Thanks Mark,really enjoyed building this,,,nomad is next

28. v8flat44

v8flat44

Well, i sure like it...a whole bunch...but i miss the Vette valve covers. Love the "family" pics too.
    Bre blessed in your travels.

29. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

Can I see some pics of the wipers from the outside? I have run wires
    to thay area, but need to choose wiper.

Rich

30 AV8 likes this.
  30. Damn that's a good lookin A ... Love it !