Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 51 Chevy Pickup...No electric power

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thekid1950, Oct 16, 2019.

1. thekid1950

thekid1950

Reaching out for help

The battery is fine...cable contacts are clean & tight.

Absolutely no power...no headlights....starter doesn't turn over.....etc

Where should I look? I have power to the starter & the electric takeoff....?

Thanks guys

2. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Check your negative connection. Wherever the negative is connected to the engine or chassis, be sure it is a good and clean attachment. I would start there.

54EARL likes this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fine meaning brand new? Charged and checked on a load? You cant build a house on a bad foundation

tractorguy likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You do realize that that round pedal over to the right of the gas pedal is the "start" button?

A test light and or multi meter is/are your friends here. Basically finding out where the break in the power path (s) is/are.

On electrical issues never ASSUME that will bust your butt every time. Make sure that you have the full rated voltage across the battery posts. Then hook the + lead to the + post (With Neg ground) and start checking to see that you are properly grounded as far as the engine and cab go as far as that goes. If you connect the neg lead to a good bare metal spot on the engine do you show full voltage?
    If you have good grounds you then start checking the other way and find where the break in your hot lead is.
    Is the wire for power to the truck connected to the stud on the starter that the battery cable is?
    I'm thinking that leads up to the Horn relay but it has been a long time since I worked on a stock AD truck. You just have to keep testing and following the electrical path until you find the issue.

5. thekid1950

thekid1950

It was my ground!!!
    All fixed
    Thank you!!!!

52HardTop likes this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Usually is.

firstinsteele likes this.