Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Yeah, Its got a Hemi/41 shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

BAWHAHAHAHA!!!:):D

Chavezk21, Stogy, AmishMike and 3 others like this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm gonna be viewed face down when people see me in the casket, that way they have one last opportunity to kiss my arse:eek:, isn't that what the Irish call it.

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buttered up
    upload_2019-10-15_21-3-55.png
    and new and improved iPhone 11 pro pictures. (also known as "don't drop your phone on a concrete floor")
    upload_2019-10-15_21-6-45.png

Baumi, dehartcarl, Hotrodmyk and 5 others like this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that made for an interesting evening reading all six pages of the thread. Looks like another great build with room in the back for golf clubs or a hitch for the golf cart trailer.

Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  5. Raising the bar..this is going to be a sweet truck.

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks man, it will definitely have room for sticks! I was trying to think through a locking box to secure them in the bed, haven't got that figured out yet but rest assured, I will!

I don't plan on a lot of plating other than bumpers, guard, windshield garnish moldings and some tail pipe work. I do plan on making it well detailed and executed. Should be a hell of a runner as well.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got the flu and I got it bad so no work this week that does for the office and the garage. But prior to getting sick I took delivery on my new truck bed. I started a thread 2 weeks ago about a bed I had purchased for a lot of money from a manufacturer and never received it. I got my money back from my credit card company and that day I purchased a new bed from Midwest Old Ford Parts and they managed to have it at my door in just over a week.
    That's good service and I saved over $400 on the order. I had my neighborhood Maaco shoot the steel parts in black epoxy primer before I assemble it.
    upload_2019-10-29_20-6-56.png
    Meanwhile I was primering and painting the frame. A nice catalyzed satin chassis black. Looks like a weeks worth of bondo, high build and blocking was worth it.
    upload_2019-10-29_20-9-21.png
    Mr. Deville, Im ready for my close up.
    upload_2019-10-29_20-10-35.png
    Now I can finish my antibiotics and get to work building a roller.

8. Things are looking good. How long till it's on wheels?

9. loudbang

loudbang

More important is when are you going to start BUFFING parts. :rolleyes:

10. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Looking good!

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had hoped to get some work done this week but this flu has me sidelined temporarily. I figure in a couple of weeks I should have the suspension and running gear in the frame. I want to order tires and wheels and I can't do that without that bed mounted and the fenders and boards in place. I know the rear offset is going to be tricky being that 9" is only 56.5" wide. That makes rear offset less then 3" if I'm right, maybe 2.75". Fronts should be no problem but ill mount the fenders and measure before ordering a bunch of custom non returnable wheels. Chrome reverse is the plan still.

Oh it will have a bit of the bright work sir you can count on it but a lot more tame than the 34.

Thank you! The day I caught up with you and yer buddies at the burger joint, I noticed you had a round brake light above the bed up next to the cab. Can you remind me of what that looked like again?

loudbang likes this.
  12. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

@Bandit Billy Thank you! The day I caught up with you and yer buddies at the burger joint, I noticed you had a round brake light above the bed up next to the cab. Can you remind me of what that looked like again?

stoplight3.jpg
    Actually started out as a joke but stuck. Ya know, mini vans, soccer moms on their cell phones, etc. :eek::D

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a pretty cool idea. Thanks!

Hotrodmyk and loudbang like this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Update: Bandit Garage
    Really not that much to report but I swept my floor finally, so that's something right?
    Oh, and I painted the trans and replaced some bolts.
    upload_2019-11-10_20-42-26.png
    Then I prepped the Hemi for the docking maneuver. BTW, best tranny tool ever is a mechanics stool. It swivels, rolls, Should have thought of it years ago.
    upload_2019-11-10_20-43-49.png
    Note to self, install adapter prior to bolting the flex plate on next time. I got lucky and this Hot Heads adapter actually rolled on without removing the flex plate. Clean living Baby!
    Nothing left but stuff it in the frame upload_2019-11-10_20-46-28.png t
    And a shot from the rear showing off the Olds extra shoes. I changed the bolt pattern all the way around on the truck to 5x4 3/4 with 7/16 lugs, just cuz I have a ton of GM wheels and tires so it makes it easier. These are offset 3 3/4" and that wont do on the truck, too tight on the frame. I'll need at least an inch on each side so 2 3/4" offset. not off the rack but the deep dish look will be cool. Fronts are just uni-lug paint rollers but the size is almost dead on. We will see once the fenders are mounted.
    upload_2019-11-10_20-52-26.png
    A little worried about how low this thing sits already. Needless to say lowering blocks aren't necessary.
    Next up is some fine tuning of the rear axle, shocks, brakes and new rear anti sway bar to match the front one courtesy of heidts. Then some gloss black and shiny bits.

Attached Files:

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What's the most weight that bed will see, a bag of clubs and a cooler!:D

Chavezk21 likes this.
  17. Will the expensive thing take also take good pics as well as the crazy ass fisheye stuff?
    That’s cartoon level distortion

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have no idea really. Check this out though @31Vicky with a hemi
    this is a photo I took of a buddy during a poker game the other night. Bright kitchen table, tons of light, turned on something called "stage light" and snapped this. That's unedited man. I don't know how they do this stuff. They aint just phones anymore.
    dick.jpg

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...well theres proof that one finger is certainly longer than the other...:D

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran into a problem installing the rear sway bar. I called @Pist-n-Broke and he dropped by to put eyes on it. The Wizzard and I have two different ways of attacking a problem, on the anti sway bar (sounds like a tavern in a dry county) I mistakenly began by reading the instructions CE has sent along.

The instruction say to mount the bar to bottom of the axle and the included brackets to the inside of the lower frame rail. Doing so immediately presented a problem as the rear CE leafs are not located under the frame but inside it to allow for a nice static drop without lowering blocks, however the inboard springs made the sway bar mount impossible.

The Wizzard doesn't read instructions so nothing muddles up the creative process. He decided in a matter of minutes to mock up the sway bar above the axle, mount the brackets for the links to the upper inner frame rail and basically redesign the way CE had it figured.

The move required a few (some fabrication required) elements. To reinforce the link bracket I fabbed up a lower bracket out of the old X member I removed from the trucks frame.
    upload_2019-11-25_9-48-45.png
    Never mind that nasty tire tread, my 442 has a nasty habit of literally shredding back tires and these are some of her spoils, now paint rollers. I drilled the frame top and bottom for the brackets and mounted them on both sides and then tacked them together in the frame, removed and welded them up tight, added some gloss black and installed them.
    upload_2019-11-25_9-51-58.png
    Here can see the bracket, link installed but not snugged up yet. The 2x4s were not harmed in the filming of this episode. They were there to simulate a 29" tire height.
    upload_2019-11-25_9-53-19.png
    The bar mounts are tacked on the axle tube, I don't like the u bolts so I'll weld them up tight when I pull the rear end out this week to paint. I had to relocate the axle vent as well so I have a couple of small tasks before paint.
    upload_2019-11-25_10-3-36.png
    You can see the interference of the spring coming into play under the links. I used 7 inch link bolts and cut spacers to fit. I installed them upside down so you can remove them with the bed on.
    Parallel leafs, Bilstein chrome gas shocks, anti sway bars front and rear, ought to make a good cornering truck.
    upload_2019-11-25_10-11-1.png
    Clearance with the suspension hanging...
    upload_2019-11-25_10-12-10.png
    and with the tires on the floor, as the weight increases so does the clearance between the bar and the pumpkin.

Great suggestion Mr. Wizzard! I'll wrap up this part of the project up before Turkey day.

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A page back we discussed the new intake from Hot Heads. I bought the 1X4 and had my chrome shop buddy take it down with 80 grit, remove the logos, casting marks, soften the edges of the runners, you know...that whole chestnut.
    upload_2019-11-26_20-10-28.png
    Well I painted it gloss black like the block, heads and trans. What ya think?
    upload_2019-11-26_20-7-48.png
    That's a hardened gloss black ceramic squirt job. Hot Heads manifold and SS hardware they supplied! Yeah, one less trip to the hardware store.
    upload_2019-11-26_20-11-58.png
    Still looking for that perfect air cleaner. Holler if you have something you think will work. Here's something to get ya started...I see some chrome and some shiny black paint, maybe some stainless mesh work. G'head, talk amongst yourselves.

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Slick!

greaseSlinger57 and Bandit Billy like this.
  23. I always thought these were different enough to be Kool. If I remember right they are cast aluminum and could have the Buick letters filed off and a Ford badge put in place of the Buick badge. Or a guy could mount it backwards if he was so inclined.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

greaseSlinger57 and Stogy like this.
  24. Here's another one that always made me look twice. Just add a K&N inside
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pist'n those pics are tiny...;)

The next post the pic is x'd

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  26. Intake manifold looks good, as does the whole package..a good mixture of the polished and the black, subtle, classy.

27. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been told that the chrome (as opposed to painted) shocks add 0.15g to the cornering, so congrats on upping the capability of an already good package.

I have enjoyed your builds immensely.

vic

28. Don't know what happened there. I hijacked them from flebay and they looked fine when I pasted them here. The second one was there when I posted it but not now. To technical for me.

Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, those pics are a bit too small to make out. From here they look like the front end of a Mustang, shudder the thought :cool:

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  30. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the right air cleaner is a mixture of chrome and gloss black, perhaps some Desoto lettering to match the wire covers???

It hasn't been easy but the Desoto mill is starting to look at home in the frame. Next up I have to re-do the tranny mount. I hate rebuilding stuff but the trans was too high in the ass, need 3" lower to make for a 3 degree down engine angle. It will also provide some clearance in the floor pan as it was a bit snug during the original test fit.

loudbang and Stogy like this.