Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What am I missing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wamm, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Wamm

Wamm

Every morning when I get to work I check the "Cars for Sale" listing. I see the same cars day after day, week after week, Month after month. Some of them were originally posted "years" ago. They just keep bumping them back to the top.
    If you truly want to sell your car...Here's a suggestion...Maybe try lowering the price? I understand the market is really soft right now, and you never get out of them what you put in them. However, No one has 75K for a 32 Ford that needs painted, interior, etc. or 90K for a Willy's that you can't drive on the street. Don't get me wrong...I have seen some really great buys on here. And a week later their gone because the price was right.
    I'm thinking some of these guys just want to post pictures of the rides for us to look at. I guess I'll catch some heat for my rant...But really..."I'm I missing something"

F.Y.I. After seeing some of the prices on here....my car should be worth 60K. lol.;)

2. alchemy

alchemy

The classifieds are free to list. They aren't going to get the same exposure anywhere for the price. They aren't in a hurry, and think they'll catch the fish someday.

slack likes this.
  3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Wamm are you self employed? If not, what does your job encompass that allows for your morning 'cruise' through the classifieds? .............just curious o_O

Ray

4. Wamm

Wamm

What does it matter to you.....Just curious

oj, LWEL9226, hidez57 and 3 others like this.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

One for the money, two for the show, three here we go.:oops:

6. cederholm

cederholm

I thought it was the classic, "honey, I'm trying to sell the hot rod but no one is buying!!" :eek::D

Jet96, j3harleys, nochop and 4 others like this.
  7. "A fool and his money are easily parted"...…..maybe there's not many fools here!

nochop likes this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have had car sell in hours. others have taken months - no rhyme or reason - just lowering the price continually is not the automatic answer - I watch craigslist on a regular basis, not as many classics as there used to be - some really nice rides at realistic prices just sit - who knows - guess not a lot of people out there with a pile of cash to spend, including me

catdad49 and uncleandy 65 like this.
  9. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Wamm has a good point. But it's just not this site it's all of them. I have been looking for another car and I check out a lot of site on the internet. So if Henstray wants to know what I do most the time he can keep working so I get my SSI, just curious

10. I see a few ads that keep dropping the price and they're still not selling. Maybe it's a distance thing, no title, not a desirable car, who knows?

j3harleys likes this.
  11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Hey Unk, we are on the same team.......I too, am retired. So we both have a vested interest in @Wamm maintaining employment so HE can continue working and contributing to OUR SSI. However, he obviously sidestepped answering the question....which is an answer in itself....;)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Thor1 and stillrunners like this.
  12. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Unfortunately , many of those cars are just sitting , deteriorating,that's really kinda sad. They're not gonna ever be worth what they were 12 years ago , nobody WANTS to take a loss..AFA the other , nunurbusness is nunurbusness...a polite person would abide by the OPs wishes ...

13. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Your right, Maybe Wamm is working undercover, just as long as he keeps the SSI coming he can spend all the time he wants looking for cars.

14. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I sold my '34 in the classifieds in about fifteen minutes. I think the trick is offer a decent car at a fair price.

[​IMG]

-Abone.

15. pitman

pitman

"Or I shall taunt you a second time!"
    '74 Monty Python ^^^^ (whoa!)
    Eeeees quite nice, yes? ;)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Jet96, charleyw, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Love it ! My favorite of favorites !

pitman likes this.
  17. I find that people run with certain crowds, what I think is expensive they think is cheap, what I think is a nice car they think is junk, they'll find their guy from their crowd eventually, if not you'll just have to keep scrolling past it. wink wink

Hnstray likes this.
  18. My thought is that when I sell something fast, I probably didn't ask enough!

19. lake_harley

lake_harley

I have a car for sale in the classifieds here. I'm in no particular hurry to sell it and if it doesn't sell part of me would still like to build it, but that day is just not now. I don't think I have it overpriced. There's a saying, "There's a butt for every seat", so I'm just patiently waiting for someone to decide he wants to build a car like the one I have, and is able to find it without going to page 112 of the classifieds. Just to defend myself in advance; I'm not bumping the ad 2 times a week.

I doubt I'm the only one playing the waiting game. Oh....the car I have for sale is inside a garage, protected from the elements too, so it's deterioration has been arrested.

Lynn

Boneyard51 likes this.
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a huge difference in being able to sell a car like the 34 that Flamedabone showed in post 14 that has the just right look than trying to sell cars that just don't have the look or don't have the right combination of pieces.
    This car has been for sale locally for around a year. https://yakima.craigslist.org/cto/d/yakima-1934-dodge-five-window-coupe/6993482479.html
    While it is a nice little ride it isn't a 25K ride. 283 and a glide in a Mopar are a deal killer for a lot of guys the Hemi valve covers make you wonder what else is somewhat fake. The wheels just flat don't jive with the car.
    I've seen the car at local events for years on end and along with the wrong mix of pieces it is probably too connected to the owner locally. He also has a slick looking 59 Coupe Deville that he has had a hard time selling even though the price is more realistic for what it is. Cad is all stock but from what I see it presents well.
    Still I think a lot of guys don't have a lot of vision on what they could change on a pretty well finished car to make it look right without spending a lot of time or money on it. I've known too many who can't get past a set of ugly wheels when they look at a car when the fix for that is fairly simple and may be a bargaining tool. Helped a buddy go pick up a car he bought a number of years back because he had cut a deal with the seller to let the seller keep the wheels and tires that were on it and bring his own tires and wheels. 30 minutes of tire changing in the guys driveway and we were off down the road with a car that looked three times better than it did before just with a wheel change. He had a vision on how he wanted it and it worked out.

arkiehotrods and Hnstray like this.
  21. That’s my standard answer at work, did they bitch about the price? No? Then we left money on the table!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 and uncleandy 65 like this.
  22. 1pickup

1pickup

I have a car listed. No, it's not a '32 Ford or '57 Chevy, but it's a dependable driver. It wasn't built to sell, it was built the way I wanted to do it. So, it's not red. Doesn't have Cragar SS wheels. Doesn't have a crate 383 sbc. Doesn't have a stock interior. No power steering or power brakes. Those are what you do to appeal to the largest number of buyers. Then, you have to price it at half of what you have invested in parts, & it's a "good deal." I occasionally bump it up, & I usually get responses when I do. My price must be pretty close to what people think it's worth, or I wouldn't get so many responses. I do get a lot of trade offers, which really isn't what I'm looking for. I don't want to sell it for way less than I have invested, & I like the car & drive it to events when I can. So, someday, one of the people who have responded that they love what I have done to the car, will have enough money to drive it away. Or, I will desperately need some cash to finish one of my other projects, & I might consider taking a little less. Or, my wife will drop the price when I'm gone. In the meantime, you should list your car for $60k & see if you get any bites. Just remember to NEVER bump the ad back up, or these guys will jump all over you!

23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Not necessarily. There is an old saying in the selling lore......."your first offer is often your best offer". Anybody who has sold much of anything, but was trying to maximize the 'take', often initially turned down an amount equal to or greater than he eventually settled for.

Another way to look that might be "if the buyer was satisfied with the price you asked (and presumably, you were okay with when you asked it) what are you complaining about?"

In the commercial realm, such as your truck repair shop, charging the most you think you can get away with, as opposed to what it actually took in parts and labor to perform the service, will eventually diminish your customer base. Being fair to yourself and your customer usually is the formula for continued success.

In the private sale arena, the Seller may or may not have a realistic grasp of two things....the market in general and even more likely, where his vehicle resides on a scale of 1 to 10. Not much you or I can do about that other than staying in congenial contact until something changes.

Ray

24. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Hnstray, there are all kinds of jobs out there, that require different modes of labor. My previous job was production and was elbows and assholes! If you spent too much time in the can, the straw boss was bumping on the door to see if you were alright! Honest! But it paid good and had good benefits and I would still be there if it was closer to home.
    But forty years ago I changed jobs. My job was to maintain a fleet. One time the Chief came in my office and observed me sitting at my desk with my feet propped up on it. .... he asked if if didn’t have something to do? I asked him “Did I spend all the money you gave me last year?” He said yes..... I asked if he had any more money for me? He said “no”..... I said I guess I don’t have anything to do then!!
    My point is... some times you just have a job to do..... if you get it done...... you can have some “ down time” ....... to cruise the classifieds.......just saying.

Bones

uncleandy 65 likes this.
  25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

yeah, I get it......but every morning?? :confused:........:D

26. I completely understand what you are saying. I would never say it to a customer. It’s really just a joke between myself and a couple of guys in the office.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray likes this.
  27. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

My father was at his desk every morning precisley 30 minutes early , A. He despised tardiness B. He said it gave him a chance to enjoy his morning coffee, paper and ready himself for the day , his ritual if you will ..
    When I was still in business , I had a few widow/ single older ladies that needed minor home repairs from time to time , when ever I handed them the bill it was always " well that's not so bad" , I started responding that I accepted tips started bringing home cookies , pies ,little things for my wife or kids , I charged on a sliding scale , knowing who could afford what , always made me feel good ..!

28. 1ton

1ton

What cracks me up is the guy selling what was a classic car until he got it home and disassembled it. Will show a picture of what it could look like and gives a potential value of it when done. Now offers it for 25K because it's such a nice car. Holy shit for brains does not see it as a pile of fricken parts but as a completed car. Idiots! Oh, and sometimes I scratch my balls while I'm working, I assume nobody has a problem with that?

29. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

It's been a while since I've seen it but I seem to remember a time when you would see cars at shows with a tiny for sale sign painted in the corner of the windshields. So it looked like they were always for sale.

30. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

I'm in the shop every morning at 6:00 am, we open at 8:00am. The computer is turned on QuickBooks opened along with the HAMB. I do a search to see if there is any questions from members I can help with.
    I go over the previous days receipts, count the cash box, get deposits ready, pay bills and look at what jobs came in the previous day to see what parts need to be ordered and line up the days work from there. This is the only time there is during the day to get anything done without interruption, I do everything here except business taxes. Receivables, payables, shipping, ordering, estimates etc. etc. Its all me. For the hours put in the pay sucks sometimes but its what you do when you own a business.
    Sorry for the long explanation but I have no problem seeing how the OP has "free time" to check the classifieds in the HAMB every morning. Some customers give me a hard time because I wont stay till 5:30 so they can pick repaired items up, I just say I'm in the shop by 6:00 am you can pick it up before you go to work.;)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019