Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 2 door vs 4 door

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Paulhunt2014jd, Oct 13, 2019.

1. If somebody will come by the house and pick me up in their cool old four door I will gladly ride around all day!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Algoma56 likes this.
  2. Squablow

Squablow

My '57 title just says "car", doesn't even give a door count, but I've done what you did on other cars and it worked out fine. Yes, the data tag shows a 4 door sedan body style. But it also shows gold color with silver interior and a 6 cylinder engine. Unless I was trying to sell it and also pass it off as some stock restoration, I don't see the issue. I will continue to do them, because customizing is not a crime.

But I'm helping derail the original topic. I'd drive a 4 door around if the price was right, can be cheap thrills, and an easy way in for newcomers to the hobby, I certainly won't shit on anyone for their choice of a 4 door build. But if I've got the choice, I'll start with the 2 door, or convert it.

Old wolf and scotty t like this.
  3. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

That’s what I’m talkin’ about! The GM fastbacks are some of my favorites and the four door models are practical with style. The back seat in my ‘49 Cad club coupe is very hard to get into.

Orn and anthony myrick like this.
  4. One of the first, if not the very first, cars I just fell in love with was a 56 Pontiac Star Chief 4dr hdtp that one of my dads buddies had stashed out behind his place up on blocks. This was probably around 84-85 and he was willing to sell it to my dad for $150. It was missing the radiator, carb, and front wheels. Factory pink and white car. I was a kid and could not have cared less about how many doors it had bc I was just enamored by all of the chrome and stainless it had! My old man passed it up and a few years later it went to scrap, along with several other old trucks and whatnot, but it left an impression on me. It was the epitome of 50s flare in my young eyes.

5. It really depends on the car and the builder, most of the 4dr's on here are great looking cars. Then there's the Cars 4 Dr hardtops and the obvious 57/58 Cad Brogham, 1962 / 64 Continentals, 36 / 37 Cord Westchesters, Graham Hollywoods, 35 thru 40 Ford 4 dr's, and almost all convertible sedans AKA Bathtubs like the ones on myTubs pages here on the HAMB https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...custom-tub-pics.1077707/page-43#post-13284072
    And all the "Gangster" Buicks, Cads, Olds, Pontiacs, and more, those 4 dr's with Tommy Guns hanging out the window.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Hubnut likes this.
  6. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

My friend turned Mordor into a THREE DOOR. Driver side Sedan look !

scotty t likes this.
  7. Years ago in Ocean City Maryland there was a taxi service that used old 4 doors. 50’s 60’s and early 70’s cars they way I remember it. After some cold adult beverage I rode in a cool 64 Galaxie.

8. derbydad276

derbydad276

When I started driving in the late 70's it was not cool to have a 4 door ... But Coupe's were everywhere,
    back then ...
    Today ... More doors are becoming (ok) due to the fact they are more affordable .. and still retain the (Old Car ) cruiser factor ... My o/t 41 year old driver is a 4 door hardtop and my 53 is a coupe both cars get thumbs up everywhere I drive them

9. us054382

us054382

40 Ford Coupe was my first car, I still have it. But years ago with a young family I had to opportunity to buy a clean, low mileage 67 Skylark four door sedan, 340 CI, two speed auto, - - great, great car. I really didn't care it was a fourdoor, kids didn't car it was a four door, car show didn't even care it was a four door, it was a cool, old car. My girls still remember their first car shows in that car from 2000 thru 2007. I sold it for about as much as I had invested, and it was a really good, dependable, cool and somewhat classy ride. I have very fond memories of sharing it with my growing family. My advice is, do your research, determine the era, make and style that appeals to you, then find the best, most complete and rust free model you can afford. Learn the mechanicals and enjoy working on whats within your interests. Hopefully, others close to you will also take an interest, and the 2dr/4dr issue becomes moot.

egads likes this.
  10. I like 4-doors, always have. They were always about 1/2 what a 2-door went for. I had a '66 Chevy Caprice I picked up cheap, like $75. Long story made short, it was quite the sleeper. I took the 396 badges off the fenders and replaced them with 283 badges.

chevy57dude, ffr1222k and egads like this.
  11. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DSC00005.JPG single spinner 008.jpg 100_1623.jpg O.jpg We didn't get a lot of coupes or 2 doors in Australia, so we had to make do with what we had. Here are A few I have owned .

egads likes this.
  12. Most tubs are 4 Drs and are better than cool
    [​IMG]

13. goldmountain

goldmountain

Some 4 doors done with the right mods can be phenomenal. I have seen at least two '49 to '51 Merc 4 door builds on the Hamb that look as good if not better than the 2 doors. Here are other examples. Scan-191218-0001.jpg

Sancho likes this.
  14. goldmountain

goldmountain