Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Selling stuff, do you all get these questions too?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Oct 16, 2019.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I've had an ad up for the '34 since mid September, when I laid awake at 0300 one morning and thought, "Why do I need this car to drive to cruise nights 4 times a year and to just one show?" I'm retiring at the end of this month, we have 3 other cars, the '48 Diamond T, the '59 T'bird and the '63 Riviera, so it's not like I NEED a roadster. On top of that, after our '51 Pontiac Tin Woody wagon was totaled, rear ended by some dope on a cell phone, my wife said, "I'll never be comfortable in the roadster again after the wagon got hit."

I'm not one to be afraid, but I have to admit the thought of what would've happened if it'd been the roadster that was hit from behind waiting to turn left by an F150 going 45-50 mph, then into oncoming traffic going the same speed, gives me pause.

And, turns out I didn't have enough insurance coverage on the wagon to go out and replace it with a like car, so there's that too...

So, I put an ad in the classifieds at 0400, mentioned it on a '33-'34 page on that one social media site we all love to hate, for a price that wouldn't cover the hard parts alone, and almost instantly had messages and calls. By by 0730 my phone was ringing, by 6 pm had what seemed like 4 really serious people, and by 8 pm, sold.

For whatever reasons, the first sale fell through, after holding it for over a week, and while I was relieved at the thought of keeping it, my wife said, "You really ought to sell it. We don't need it. I'm not comfortable in it any longer. I want another wagon. You're retiring in three weeks, just put the ad back up, call up the other people who were interested, and let's move on."

As usual, she was right. I contacted some of the interested parties, one was happy to have another chance, but oh man, the other questions I've gotten make me wonder about the future of humanity.

The best one so far is, "How about selling me just the chassis and you keep the body."

Seriously? I started my career, after graduating from WMU with a degree in marketing, selling cars here in Battle Creek, and was instantly surprised at what total flakes 90% of our customers where, and of the 10% left, half of those had bad credit. Things haven't seemed to have changed, I've had guys offer to trade everything from Model A coupes to '55 Chevys, after clearly saying I would consider a trade for a running, driving, late '40's through mid 50's wagon.

So, hats off to all of you out there buying and flipping cars, I've thought I could supplement my retirement by doing the same, but that old saying we used to use in the showroom, "The trouble with the public is they let anybody in", is still true.

To the half dozen guys who truly did want it, and were disappointed when they didn't get it, thanks for some great conversations and your interest, it made dealing with the flakes tolerable. I do have some stories to tell now too... ;) 38708146_10217690284351516_4276197086325637120_n.jpg

Spooky, 1Nimrod, OLSKOOL57 and 26 others like this.
  2. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Yep. I'm convinced "average intelligence" is actually ridiculously low.

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

The problem with eBay is you will be contacted by every nut job there is. I'd be typing all night if I listed all the dumb questions I've recieved. Had a car on eBay with it clearly stated has Tremec 5 speed. Got a call asking what type of 4 speed was in the car.
    Try the HAMB Classifieds when selling. I've had good results without the eBay fees.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Think about how dumb the average person is,
    Then realize half the population is dumber than that

joel, mad mikey, jimgoetz and 33 others like this.

5. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

.......picture collectors get me going

bobss396, stillrunners and tractorguy like this.
  6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Here's one...I sell at the Pomona Swap Meet and the Long Beach Swap Meet.

Well, I have a SHIP TO SHORE RADIO that I purchased for my boat but never used. It's still in the box..NIB...

Anyway, Pomona Swap Meet, very busy day, A guy and his son are walking by...The son see's the radio and asked me if it worked...Told him "yes, it's brand new"...he said "I need to tell my dad about it"...Runs off and brings his dad back...

Dad is mad because SON showed him one SHIP TO SHORE RADIO. Dad went on to tell the son that "only one SHIP TO SHORE RADIO will not work on their boat because you need two radios to communicate"

Son told dad how a SHIP TO SHORE RADIO works and it made dad mad because the son had educated him in public.

So, Brian. some people are eaten up with the dumb...They ain't got the brain's god gave a dead goose...

Let's have a beer on them...

Spooky, mad mikey, BigO and 7 others like this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The question I always like is "will you take payments".

8. Yeah, I have run into that too. Sometimes I wonder if people are really that dumb or are they just messin' with you. Remember, if average intelligence is average, then that means there are just as many people dumber than you as there are that are smarter than you.
    You are with 2 other people in an elevator.......one is a dumb ass.

mad mikey and drdave like this.
  9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

My friend Steve put an ad in the local paper for a car trailer he didn't need any more. One of the callers asked "is it self-contained ?"

mad mikey and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. The one i like is about price. I usually price low to pass it on and be done. But some people will say “how much ?” “I saw it for less last week at where ever “ i just saw “buy it !”, “i would. “
    Most “buyers” are dreamers and not serious.
    Might as well just play with them.

mad mikey and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  11. chopped

chopped

Everyone on the HAMB is above average, I'm on the HAMB. Good for me.

mad mikey, 5window, desotot and 10 others like this.
  12. topher5150

topher5150

I was in the process of selling an OT SUV that was nearing 20 years old for way less than I wanted. Half the offers that I got were basically scrap prices, and everyone else I set up appointments with them to take a look at it because they had to have, and there i sit whole night wasted looking like a fool because they dropped off the face of the earth.

classiccarjack likes this.
  13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

No matter what ,you find bullshitter s,the flakes and the lowballers on the net. Wether it is eBay, CL , or here. Even more interesting in person , then you can be truly astonished.:D

14. I understand people wanting to haggle for the best deal but I have had a couple of guys interested in my '50 coupe and kept on about the price so I dropped it to 10K and one of the guys actually ask me if I would take 5K, the other one just joined to tell me about how he sold is '50 coupe for 30 grand in California.

When offering a car for sale you open yourself to all potential buyers, I too don't need the third car and want to use the money to turn my old garage into a apartment for our daughter. HRP

15. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Good for you HRP:)

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

put a car or part up For Sale at a very good price, not looking for profit - people figure that the the guys on TV rarely ever pay full price so, they must make a low ball offer - for parts at a swap meet people will ask what the part will fit, even though that info is on part - I ask, them what do you have? and they will say whatever - I say that it will fit everything from a '32 Buick to a new Subaru - turns out they were not interested in part in the first place

mad mikey, bobss396 and jim snow like this.
  17. I had an engine for sale a few years back and a guy wanted to buy just the rotating assembly. Are you kidding me? You want me to pull down a running engine so you can buy the crank?

18. williebill

williebill

It's actually pretty simple.
    The people who answer my ads must like the same stuff I like.
    And they're some really fucked up people. There's a lesson in there somewhere.
    Buying is more fun than selling

19. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

As most of us have noticed, the market for our cars is flatter than a plate of p... That seems to have brought out not only the low-ballers but also the clowns who wouldn't have had the bal.. to ask some of the things they do. We just have to shake it off and move on. They say there is an ass for every seat. I disagree, there has to be at least two or we all would still have every dumb thing we ever bought. Good luck with the sale.

MMM1693 and brad2v like this.
  20. When I was selling my '32 many years ago, a guy came by, looked it over, and told me it was worth a lot more than I was asking. For some reason he was not interested in buying it and reselling it for "what it was worth".

1Nimrod, mad mikey and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Answer: "Yes, one payment for the full price."

1Nimrod, mad mikey, Old wolf and 7 others like this.
  22. Address collectors are just as good.
    When selling something for $1000- "will you take payments?", "Yes, but I will need a $1000 deposit".
    I was selling an optical diagnosis set of equipment- about 200 pieces- and some peanut says - "I only need a handful of parts from this kit- How about I send you a list of the bits, and we work out a price, then you can still sell the rest?"
    I said "sure, you can have those parts for $XX (my original complete set price)". He couldn't work out what I meant.
    The "Delete" button is my best friend, I call it the "remove moron comment" button.
    Everyone should be made to deal with the general public for a few weeks, then they may realise how bloody stupid the "average" person really is!

mad mikey, brad2v, TCATTC and 4 others like this.
  23. I used to say that 90% of the American public were idiots. Now with all the Millenial Snowflakes I've had to revise the number.

24. wvenfield

wvenfield

I sold cars for a living for awhile and put up with all kinds of stuff because I had to. I'm getting ready to retire also and no longer have the patience. If someone had asked me to just sell the chassis I simply would have hung up.

Hnstray likes this.
  25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:D

Sandgroper likes this.
  26. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I have an old Hobie Cat for sale right now....CHEAP! I've had a few guys try to lowball me without even looking at it. One guy asked my 'get rid of it before snow prise' and then offered less than half! I'm over it. I'm done selling my stuff unless it's cash on the spot.

1Nimrod likes this.
  27. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I put the 427 up for sale in my aviator, with in 20 minutes I had 3 scammers contact me. On the ad I put "THE ONLY THING I'LL TAKE IN TRADE IS A SET OF NICE ALUM SBC HEADS!!!" I've been offered a piece of property by some lake, a boat, 2 Harleys, and a junk early 50's ford project and that is just the tip of the iceberg. You cannot fix stupid and there is a whole bunch of it running around out there.

1Nimrod, Sandgroper, weps and 3 others like this.
  28. I seem to always have something for sale that is close to what people are looking for but one thing is wrong and they walk. Case in point, I have a really nice set of 14" torque thrust wheels with near new white letter tires I bought for my O/T 68 Camaro, but decided to keep my rally's and sell these to buy wheels for my chevy pickup project. I took them to the Portland Swap meet in the booth my grandfather and I had and probably 30 people looked at the wheels and every single one wanted Ford bolt pattern and offering next to nothing for them. So either they were not interested or there is a shortage of torque thrusts in ford pattern. Probably the first scenario as probably if I had Ford pattern everyone would want Chevy.

29. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

So would ya take $2500 and a busted up snow mobile in trade for the '50? ;)

1Nimrod, Sandgroper and alanp561 like this.
  30. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Like I said in another thread , buyers lower the value on your car/parts until it is out of the driveway then the value mysteriously goes up.

mad mikey, classiccarjack and -Brent- like this.