Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Seat finally getting broken in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stubbsrodandcustom, Oct 16, 2019.

1. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

So I have hit one cool milestone today with my truck... 10 Years together on the road, and still in my ownership... Hard to believe 10 years ago I was finishing up stuff, and a few things that I rushed to get her driving, but re did when i had it apart 5 years ago for motor job...

So it got me thinking..... I know I have seen some of you guys with 50+ years of owning the same car/truck.... Then there are alot of others who build, and always conquest for something new and build build build like a crackhead at build a bear workshop. I've had alot of other vehicles come and go, I have had other vehicles fail me, but this ole gal always does what I need her to and is still fun to drive.

So how long have you had your car/truck? And why do you keep it around? What would you go back in time and change? Would you ever sell it? Is your drivers seat broken in nice?

IMG_0562 (2).JPG

loudbang likes this.
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

That's a long list. But first off keep in mind that no matter how comfy the seats have gotten, seat belts need to be replaced now and then, just like tires, as they loose their fresh as a daisy "certification." My truck's seat belts are not just nearly 10 years old, but sometimes have trouble retracting. No a good sign, me thinks. Then there is the "longevity" of the threads... so that's one thing I'll need to upgrade.

stubbsrodandcustom likes this.
  3. Bought the Rambler in my avatar in 1991 when I was 13 years old. Owned it 28 of my 41 years as of July. It's a pain in the ass and hard to find parts for compared to same year Ford or Chevy but I like it. It is worth way more to me than would be reasonable to ask for it...so I guess I'm stuck with it.

4. Ten years for the one in MY avatar. Only about 20,000 miles, so not broken in. Yet. Has another engine now that only a straight eight Buick man would notice. I will never sell, I don't believe. Probably never quit working it over.

Ben

5. The old beater has been on the road for 31 years, I don't intend on selling it and to be honest it was and still is my dream car. HRP
    <----------

6. 3 to 6 months tops. If it's not gone in 6 months, I'll blow it apart and keep the important stuff and sell or give the rest away. To me, the fun is in creating, not maintaining. It's always about the journey. The destination is just a place to gas up and grab some snacks.

7. Ladyhrp's Ranch Wagon was purchased brand new in 1954 by her Grandmama Jessie and has been a member of the family for 65 years. HRP

[​IMG]

8. 30 years, but who's counting?:D........Been nuts for '40 Fords since I was a kid building models of them.:) 2013-10-22 13.06.14 (1).jpg 07032014 (1) (1).jpg

9. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had the 38 Chevy since the 70's, installed 7x?? Monza seats in the early 80's (not traditional but..?) and they have always been comfortable. wasn't that the question:) No seats in the Stude, only had it a little over two years and a few things to finish up. The Chevy and the Stude will be on the estate sale, the other cars that are gone aren't really missed.

10. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to change hot rods like I changed my underwear...about once every 3 years;)

I agree with RJP, At least when I was younger, It was always about the "build". Drive it for a year or two, and sell it to finance the next project. But I'm getting old and down to about one every 6 years:(

My "record" is 12 years with the Sedan Delivery, which I traded to Hamtown Al last month for one of his '36 Cabriolets. We'll see if I can break my own record with the Ragtop:D 32 1.jpg

11. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Loving these stories.... Lets keep it going...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30 years or so with my roadster. All being well I'll be buried in it, metaphorically.

Chris

13. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Like a crackhead at a build a bear shop.....OMFG!

14. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

One from the OGG club...

Old Grey Guys......

Frankie47 likes this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy

The longest in my possession is my 40 tudor. I've had it for 37 years. And I haven't ever driven it once. It's been a project for almost as long as it was a driving car. Maybe someday....

16. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

Bought my '40 Ford pu 53 years ago..... on the second set of seats! Picture 518.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.