Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Big Headlight Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Colemire, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I found a pair of headlights off a early 30's ford truck, I was told. They are larger than the ones that take the 7 inch sealed beam type. Glass is really nice and the chrome rings are perfect. The glass has a ford logo on them. Housings are solid with no dents. I was thinking of adding them to my Model A in my aviator so What would be the best socket and bulb to adapt to them? The reflectors are good, the only other thing I'd have to do is adapt them to a different mount. I got to much chrome on the front of mine now so has anyone got any advice or some pics where they have done this? I'll get a pic of the lights as soon as I can. Pic of mine now, going to put a stainless screen in front of the rad this winter.

Attached Files:

61Cruiser and Stogy like this.
  2. We definitely need a picture of the new lights and reflectors. Ron Francis probably has a bright (or Brite as he calls it) 12 volt bulb that will go into the original sockets, Ron Francis Wire Works, https://www.ronfrancis.com, (800) 292-1940. When you get to his site put "Brite Bulbs" in the search box (note that this is his spelling). Once your lights have been identified finding the sockets should be easy.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I'll get a pic, I sand blasted one and shot it with etching primer.

4. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Went out and shot 2 pics. 20191011_192347.jpg

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.

5. If you are going to drive at night, I would recommend installing the reflectors developed by Bob Drake. New optics to go with the supplied halogen bulbs. Not inexpensive, but they do work quite well with the vintage lens.

That bucket looks like it could be from '35 - '37 Ford pickup. Would need the diameter of the lens to confirm that guess.

Phil

pitman, lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run Vintage Big Lights that are not always a popular thing around here but that said those buckets are very dull...I just recently polished up mine (poor mans silvering) using mag wheel polish and a silver cloth and it really did help...I was actually shocked 3+ years of driving on full dirty buckets and Wow...not real great but much better...:eek:

My low beam is so dull I never run Low Only high... AND I have a Halogen Bulbs in there...

The argument or Traditional consesus is when Sealed Beam Lights came out they were favored in lieu of the duller Bulbed Big Guys...

I am considering going to a guide type Chrome Bucket as Good Lighting is Important...I am very careful at night and when other lights are coming at or behind we're even more vulnerable...

Just some opinion and fact...;)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    weps and town sedan like this.
  7. manyolcars

manyolcars

Those appear to be 35-37 Ford. Aftermarket reflectors dont have the correct shape.Good grounds are essential. Get your reflectors resilvered.

8. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I found a video of redoing these headlights and the guy used stainless bowls from the dollar store to replace the reflectors. They were the exact diameter. I was going to check it out, couldn't you polish them enough to make them bright enough? He done what I was thinking of doing, cut out the section where the bulb goes in out of some junk lights and fastened them in a hole he cut in the bowls. He also installed a amber bulb and socket for turn signals. He hooked them up on the video and showed how the turn signal worked on bright and dim. I wouldn't want to see the turn signal bulb through the lens and I was thinking I saw some silver bulbs when lit was amber, can't remember where it was. What are everyones thoughts on this? Guess it wouldn't cost much to find out.

9. rusty valley

rusty valley

original reflectors were silver plated, as that is the best reflective surface. now days some of the repo stuff is chrome plated, not as good, and there is a process of a ceramic coating that shine pretty good they say, never done it. i dont think you will get good light from stainless, but you may be able to use the bowl to mount a sealed beam bulb under the original lens and see how that works. just a thought

10. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Don't think it'll fit under it. Speedway, according to a friend, has an adapter to install 7 in sealed beams but that kinda takes away from it.

11. The optics of bowl or original reflectors are not good for halogen bulbs. Check out the Bob Drake reflectors that have been newly engineered to improve the optics.

I have put the turn signal in the Drake reflector on two sets of headlights.

I use an Amber 1157 type bulb that is coated to look like a state troopers sun glasses when not in use. Makes them invisible behind vintage lens.

Phil

pitman and 41rodderz like this.
  12. rusty valley

rusty valley

i have 7" sealed beams under the lens on one of my model A's. you wouldnt know unless you really were lookin. they work good, but i do not know of a kit for your year light

Stogy and mitch 36 like this.
  13. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I'm going to see if one will fit. See what happens.

14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Waiting here:)

15. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I can't find the adapters that Speedway has to put a 7 inch bulb in these but through a search I found some, $250!!! Holy crap!

16. The Bob Drake new reflector kit and halegon bulb that Phil is talking about is the way to go, I have done this on 3 sets of lights thus far and the results are amazing. HRP

Reflector kit

[​IMG]

pprather likes this.
  17. contact Antique Ford they will have the harness to install new bulbs and reflectors. They helped me with some I found and used on my 34 ford build.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll agree on one thing, those dull reflectors aren't going to reflect enough light to safely drive at highways speeds. I got pulled over when I was running the Cibies that I had in the 48 that were probably 15 years old and the reflectors had dulled. When I first got them and had 55/100 H4 bulbs in them you couldn't drive fast enough to outrun the light but after 15 or so years they dulled to where they just flat didn't put out enough light.
    Checking around I found that Steve's Auto restorations is one outfit that resilvers headlights but it is spendy http://www.stevesautorestorations.com/services/headlight-resilvering/

Those Bob Drake reflectors aren't exactly cheap at 135 but will let you run with the big dogs at night and not be short on headlight distance. https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.a...Category=a18b1eb8-bb5f-45c2-b451-fa3c46010bb1
    I remember years ago that I borrowed my Mom's 75 Chevelle to go somewhere in when my ride was not working good and she had complained that she was going to have to quit driving at night because she couldn't see good at night. The damned lights were so dull you couldn't see past the bumper very far and a stop at the parts house and a pair of Halogens changed the world around.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  19. Used @Mr48chev link to Bob Drake site. Once again Backorder Bob has these on......,..backorder.

Phil

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

I used regular sealed beams...
    IMG_1286.JPG

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  21. That is the old style that isn't a whole lot better than the originals, it still uses the original type of reflector, Bob's new style is far superior., HRP

Old style that is out of stock.
    48-13027-QK-12-MED.JPG
    New style which works like moderan day headlights and no shadows. HRP

[​IMG]

pprather likes this.
  22. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Forget the stainless bowls. Headlight reflectors have a parabolic shape to reflect light forward. Highly unlikely that bowl does. Oh yeah, I like big "headlights". Small ones too.

G-son likes this.
  23. I was told the newest reflectors are based on the style in a mini cooper, I don't know that for fact but what I do know is they work excellent, I have used ever configuration they have ever made for the big headlights and yu couldn't ask for anything to work better.

As far as the price, it's a bargain considering the improvement it makes in your driving at night. HRP

pprather likes this.
  24. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Mine measures 7 3/4, if I decided to go with sealed beams does anyone know where to get the adapters? A friend swears Speedway sells them but I can't find them. What did you use on yours Phil?

25. The lens diameter confirms my guess in post 5.

I used the Bob Drake halogen kit described in post 11 by me and post 16 by @HOTRODPRIMER.

Hope this helps.

Phil

26. Got me thinking that I should order the kit for my 34 project. Yes, the advanced kit for 1932 is in stock, but for the 1934, Out of Stock. Oh well, won't need them for a while.

27. The '35-'37 Ford truck headlights use the same reflector as a '35-'36 car and '38-'39 truck. The lens and ring for '35-'39 truck is the same as '35 car. You can also use '36 car lenses and rings (the bug eye lenses) if you want to, that's what I have on my '38.

28. spanky671

spanky671

Do you know what the bucket measures across the front where the trim rings sit. Trying to ID some buckets

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

29. The 35 - 37 commercial headlights have a reflector that is just under 8" in diameter. Same reflector fits the other lights mentioned.
    Hope this helps.

Phil

30. Phil knows what he is talking about and drives his car.

I have been building hot rods for a long time, the lights on the early Fords have always been anemic, I restored a set of original lights and upgraded to 12 volt bulbs, they worked but barely.

The next thing to come along was the adapter ring to use the seal beam inside the headlight housing and behind the larger lens, worked better, looked like crap.

These were on my coupe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then later on someone started making a new stainless reflector kit with brighter bulbs, the lighting was better but there seemed to be a darker spot between the light pattern in front of you when you were on the road at night.

Then Bob Drake offered the new chrome plated plastic reflectors with the 12 Volt halegon, the difference is night and day, these reflectors shine the light further and brighter than ever, there are no dark areas and when you hit the high beams and for get to dim them in oncoming traffic the other drivers will flash their lights to let you know, that never ever happened with the original lights, fact is they were so marginal that I never dimmed my lights and no one noticed. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019