Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Took out 42 year old daughter for a ride in my old beater

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Melinda, one of our twin daughters was watching me work on the sedan yesterday and asking a ton of questions the whole time I was working, I have answered these same questions many times over but she doesn't remember asking.

Melinda suffered a traumatic head injury when a drunk driver hit her head on almost 21 years ago and her life & ours changed forever, she lives with us, most days she would rather stay in her room and watch television or sleep but yesterday she was having a rare good day and we had a good time together, her biggest concern is that I don't have a radio in the car, she loves music, why don't you have a radio daddy? she ask.

The sound of the engine is music to me and as we were riding down the road she said that ain't music.

I told her it's like Opera, it's an acquired taste. she looked me square in the eye as I was pulling the car back into the garage and said, you need a radio. :D HRP

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

She's probably right!
    Life's not about riding by yourself every time.:)

3. Hey Danny,,,,isn’t it great to be called Daddy ?
    It has been the highlight of my life,,,,,I hope it can go on for a long time to come !
    And for you as well !

Tommy

4. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

A different version of the Daddy-Daughter dance. Nice.

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Danny, don't know about you but my heart melts when my grown Daughter calls me Daddy.

6. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Never met your daughter, but maybe I will one day.
    When I was 8 or so , the kid across the street hit a car on his Honda QA 50. It was a thousand wonders he wasnt killed, but it forever messed up his head. I was around him a lot growing up, it was difficult , because he was a smart guy before.
    He still calls my Mama, every once in a while.
    I'm sure your daughter appreciates what you do for her, even though the questions can get tiresome, maybe. Keep on doing what you do, the solidarity means a lot, even if you dont realize it , every day. Good luck!

7. You sir are a class act all the way ‘round.

Now get your daughter that dang radio and go cruising more with her!
    Awesome story
    As a dad to two girls I would not want it any other way!

tha garage is all mine and between her and her sister more love then I can handle !

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  8. I hear you brother, I have friend's that don't have a good relationship with there grown children, I am blessed. HRP

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  9. I believe you met our other daughter that day you stopped by the shop. HRP

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

great, yet sad, story. just that she was willing to go with you was terrific. have a smart phone, or other small portable device, that you can play music through?

11. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Missy's Garage - Low res.jpg
    Missy has my back. Having lost both parents to Alzheimer's and cuurently dealing with health issues issues in the extended family, her support has made a tremendous difference.

She occasionally tells me: "Be kind to me, I get to pick your nursing home".

12. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Maybe I did, and just cant recall it exactly.
    To quote my buddy Jerry, " the next time I see you, you'll have to rememberate me".
    This getting old and having sometimers sucks sometimes.

13. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

...buy and put the radio in, before it becomes I should have, could have,... it is a small price to pay for the happiness it will bring....Miller

14. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

My daughter(46) drives my '67 Corvette more than I do.

15. That has to be the sweetest thing I've heard in a long time. BigO ❤

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

Danny, a cheap radio in a 32 Ford is a cheap price to pay for a Daughters happiness. It will also tell her your listening to what she has to say and that you value her opinion.

raven, chryslerfan55, WB69 and 4 others like this.
  17. Family is everything.
    Making her happy will reward you in many ways.
    God bless you and your daughter.

18. Agreed, even it's just a Bluetooth speaker so she can enjoy her music and the ride with her Dad.

hfh, Oldioron, WB69 and 3 others like this.
  19. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Danny that is a heart warming story. You can be very proud of what you have done for your daughter

20. Melinda had a bright future, she lacked 2 more semesters to become a RN, it's a long story and the hamb is not the place for it, I will say all of us help with taking care of her, and that includes both her children when they can. HRP

21. catdad49

catdad49

Danny, I do appreciate you sharing some of your life with us. I am Blessed to have a Great Family and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Stay Well My Friend, Carp.

J.Ukrop and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Danny, I know how it is with a radio in a hot rod. My roadster is so loud that even though it has a radio, I've never hooked it up cause the exhaust, etc. are so loud you couldn't hear it.
    But yours is a special case, and maybe you could figger out way to install a radio for your daughter. You and Brenda are a classy pair, and I'm glad to have met you and be able to call yall my friends.

23. BJR

BJR

:eek::(:):D HRP you are one class act!

osage orange and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

There is another HAMB member, and good friend, whose story is remarkably similar to yours. Heaven has a special place fo you guys and your spouses.

25. Jay71

Jay71

I’m gonna go home and hug my 11 year old daughter a little harder today. Absolutely melts me when she calls me daddy and still reaches out to hold my hand. My favorite person to go on a cruise in the wagon with. Beautiful that you and your daughters are still close.

26. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for reminding us how precious life is and how it can change in a moment. My 30 year old niece suffered a TBI when hit by a car while she was riding a bike when she was 16. Her youth was robbed from her due to a momentary stupid act compounded by her not wearing a helmet. I feel your pain.

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

A suction cup holder on the dash for a smart phone and an ear bud should keep her happy and you can use it when alone to listen to an Offy at Indy in 1956 or a modern 410 sprint car at Eldora.

WB69, HOTRODPRIMER and dirty old man like this.
  28. "You need a radio!"

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. Danny- thanks for sharing a very personal special moment with us. As others have said there are special blessings coming your way. I have one niece with Down’s syndrome and another niece who was involved in a car accident and can no longer walk. I am continually inspired by both of them because of their positive outlook on life and the love they share. Yours is another example of being there for the ones you love. If you like cassettes(lol) I have a beauty Am/FM in dash unit I can send your way- hardly used

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  30. TIME FOR TUNES ! this is what I did .. I didn't want a radio in my 36 any place.. bought a Bluetooth speaker and stream music from my phone.. cheap and it does the trick.. she'll like it !

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    chryslerfan55, WB69, scotty t and 2 others like this.