Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Words on cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boden, Sep 29, 2019.

1. J D Coop

J D Coop

Wanderer

Attached Files:

Stogy, Jalopy Joker and Blues4U like this.
  2. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I thought about writing "I ain't no Rat" on mine but decided against it. I do like yours on the dash. Maybe I'll put it somewhere small. I don't know. Also love your car too.

1953naegle likes this.
  3. j3harleys

j3harleys

Blues4U likes this.
  4. j3harleys

j3harleys

I had my girlfriends name tattooed on me 53 years ago. The tattoo has faded, But she has not:)

5. 1953naegle

1953naegle

I like that! I'm tired of people complementing the amount of rust on my car.

Stephen Barrett likes this.
  6. pnevells

pnevells

Hot rodding is what you make it, we never had social media to check acceptance of an idea , if you like it. letter it, race cars obvious, but I have seen many race car clones on the street tastfully done logo.JPG

dana barlow and Jalopy Joker like this.
  7. oldfordnutt

oldfordnutt
    from Modesto,Ca

In the late 50s I had 49 Dodge drop top cruzer still running the flat head six with some goodies. Had a mouse standing upright and the words Mouse Powered.

8. sport fury

sport fury

9. bltbalsam

bltbalsam

Sure, that' great for some cars but not all.

10. bltbalsam

bltbalsam

11. bltbalsam

bltbalsam

That stuff has always been around back then, and is still cool.

dana barlow likes this.
  12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Every car I have owned had the same words on them.
    For Sale.

Stogy, Jalopy Joker and olscrounger like this.
  13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

14. I remember in the early 80’s,,,being at the Rod Run in Gatlinburg.
    There was this bad dude 55 Chevy that was doing some great burnouts in Pigeon Forge,,,a few miles outside of Gatlinburg
    The law used to let you do that for a while back then,,then they would crack down.
    The car was yellow and He had Super Brut painted on his quarter panels.
    It looked really cool then,,we were all impressed.

Anyway,,he did several burnouts during the evening,,,on the last one his transmission failed ,,it was slipping very badly,,,and he barely got it into a large parking lot. The police car was right behind him,,about 5 minutes later the cop pulled out with him in the back seat.

Never have forgotten that one.

Tommy

15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-10-13_4-3-26.png
    Hello,

Words on cars goes back to public awareness of city or government owned vehicles. As far as the Fire Department is concerned? Red with gold or gold leaf lettering/words are the standard issue. It allows the general public to be aware of the cars/trucks rushing through traffic to get to the emergency fire. The red paint was always the thing that stood out during our elementary school visits to the local fire department on our school field trips. Those trucks were always shiny and spotless. The words and logos stood out from far away.

Jnaki

The red Ford sedan above is probably not in everyday service, but set up for community service presentations or community events. Besides, the red Ford sedan is a long way from home if the lettering/logo/words are correct. From the Detroit Fire Department, all the way across the USA to South OC is a long trip for public awareness. It may have been reconstructed out West and detailed for delivery home. It is one cool sedan.

16. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Back around '57, my oldest brother had a light green 49 Ford 4 door sedan with The Unknown painted on the rear doors. He was going to have the hunchback of Notre Dame painted on it for some reason, but sold the car before it was done. I was 7 at the time. I've often thought of painting in my 58 Yeoman, partly in tribute to my oldest brother, now gone, and partly as no one has heard of a Yeoman station wagon (everyone thinks it's a Nomad). He had old English font, which was kind of hard to read. I couldn't come up with which font to use, or a picture, if I decided on one.

dana barlow likes this.
  17. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Where I come from & live before it turned into a bunch of yuppies, a Hot Rod was yr work vehicle, grocery getter , drag car and you made extra money on the street to Suport your habit /Family . So the Hot Rod had a Name on it , I still have name on my Hot Rods , & my Blown Altered..
    I wonder how many of those opposed of a name's on Hot Rod have a personal tags On their Hot Rod that driven 1 time a week or yr Soccer Mom /Dad vehicle?

dana barlow likes this.
  18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I painted car name's on in the 1950s, in to the 1960s,maybe as many as 300 or so,along with pinstriping an crazy airbrush T-shirts . My Art name was "The Bat", I liked doing it,and those that have love for there cars too name them. There is a number of things that come up,we did,an some still do. Things others fail to like,mostly being they have little under standing of,and or just were not around ,like my now 77 year old butt was back then. Some on here even bad mouth doing them,in stead of learning things.
    I saw a little thing I enjoyed,don't know if ture,an that dose not matter. They were a part of 50s an 60s an that is real fact,I liked Dice anyway;
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    swade41, TagMan, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  19. rooman

rooman

Classy well done names are cool--poorly done faux patina logos are not. Fake drag race class designations that do not match the class that the vehicle would actually race in are especially bad.
    My mate Dustin Cooper's DeSoto is appropriately named as he purchased this car when he was 15 and still in school
    IMG_5307.JPG
    And Fast Eddie is, well, Fast Eddie
    IMG_5304.JPG

Blues4U, Stogy, dana barlow and 3 others like this.
  20. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

That DeSoto is beautiful!
    Got any more pics ?

dana barlow likes this.
  21. My daily driver. Been this way since '95. Never changing it. Exactly what I want it to be.
    DSide2.jpg

rooman, swade41, Blues4U and 4 others like this.
  22. 39ChevyBob

39ChevyBob

23. dan griffin

dan griffin

24. Names on modes of transportation have been around forever, look back through the wars, names on planes, tanks, trucks, etc, servicemen came home and named their personal rides, gives them character.
    FB_IMG_1501942725277.jpg FB_IMG_1571622099755.jpg Screenshot_20191020-213430_Photobucket.jpg FB_IMG_1571621904779.jpg

19Eddy30 likes this.