Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Replica of the Ivo's Showboat dragster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NITROFC, Oct 1, 2010.

1. LAROKE

LAROKE

That's Aces! I've been following along for awhile but not closely so, I didn't know until today that it wasn't a full size tribute. That's how good I see your work.

loudbang and Ken Foran like this.
  2. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I follow your work on this project and you must have the patience of a saint. The whole project is simply unbelievable.
    outstanding !

loudbang and Ken Foran like this.
  3. Ken Foran

Ken Foran

Scratch building at times requires some detective work and while studying various pictures from the original build I noticed a notch cut into the frame rail and welded shut with an inner wall. So as I went back and forth on pictures I finally realized it must have been cut to allow the rear end to be moved as far to the right as possible so out came the jeweler's saw and dapping tools to replicate the notch.
    I then moved on to building the rear end using brass and basswood. The rear ends were modified from the originals for adapters. Here is a series showing the build process with the next step being the adding of ribs to the cover plate.
    Chassis Frame 21.jpg
    Rear End 01.jpg
    Rear End 02.jpg
    Rear End 03.jpg
    Rear End 04.jpg
    Rear End 05.jpg
    Rear End 06.jpg
    Rear End 07.jpg

Rear End 09.jpg
    Perhaps Bruce can add more comments about the original build.

kiwijeff, pwschuh, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  4. Ken Foran

Ken Foran

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Beautiful work there, Ken.

Deuces, Ken Foran and loudbang like this.
  6. Ken Foran

Ken Foran

Thanks! :)

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  7. Ken Foran

Ken Foran

The wife had her second surgery on Friday so I had a little time to work on the rear wheel mounting hubs with the disc brakes while she slept a great deal. The hubs were turned with a relief cut for the tapping of threads. These tiny taps (00-90 & 0-80) tend to break real easy when tapping into a blind hole so I have learned to do the relief cut so the tap goes through the material. This detail will not be seen anyway once assembled onto the wheel. The real trick was making sure the 0-80 bolt holes on the hubs matched those already in the wheel. The disc was cut using 1/16' sheet stock to press fit on the hub and soldered in place and trued up on the lathe for a perfectly round disc. The end of the hub was taper cut and drilled to receive a bolt head cut from hex bar.
    Rear Axle 05.jpg
    Here the hub is test fit into the 1/4" axle tube. The bolt holes are tapped 0-80 and I need to order some 0-80 size bolts to trim for the mounting studs.
    Rear Axle 06.jpg
    This shows temporary 3/16" 0-80 bolts I had a few of just to show the wheel bolted in place. The hubs in the mean time were plated.
    Rear Axle 07.jpg
    Here is looking through the frame at the left hub and wheel in place showing the clearance for the disc brake assembly which on the left is bolted to the axle while the right side is mounted to the frame and rear end.
    Rear Axle 08.jpg
    Here is an overall view with the wheels just set in place.
    Rear Axle 09.jpg
    Next I may move on to the front axle and start with the quick change assembly much like the rear end.

8. Ken Foran

Ken Foran

Having finished the rear axle to a point I decided to move to the front one and like the rear I started with the forward "rear end" that would have had the ring and pinion turned to change drive direction. Here is a sequence showing the build similar to the rear using both wood and brass materials.
    Front axle 01.jpg

Front axle 02.jpg

Front axle 03.jpg

Front axle 05.jpg

Front axle 08.jpg

Front axle 09.jpg

Having built this and test fitting it to the front of the frame it became very apparent that the forward shield was too short. I built it very early on and guessed at dimensions from photos before receiving the great build pictures from Bruce. After checking through all of Bruce's pictures I decided to rebuild the shield now having more accurate information. I decided to make a cylinder that will slip fit right over the original. Here are a few picture showing the build process. Will have to order more plating material as well.
    Front sheild 01.jpg

Front sheild 02.jpg

Front sheild 03.jpg

Front sheild 04.jpg

Front sheild 05.jpg

Now back to building the front axle.

9. Ken Foran

Ken Foran

After getting the front shield place I moved on to the front axle parts. The axle shafts had the mounting plates soldered in place and bolted to the differential. I then turned the wheel mounting units drilled with 1/4" hole for the axle tube locator to align all the parts. I then used my old CAD (cardstock aided design) to develop the left and center axle mounting brackets. Once the axle was bolted in place the mounting brackets for the front shield were made along with the steering gear support arm with mounting flange. Needless to say a great deal of close tolerance work. Then the engines were bolted in place front and rear for the first time; a new milestone.
    Front axle 11.jpg

Front axle 12.jpg

Front axle 13.jpg

Front axle 14.jpg

Front axle 15.jpg

Front axle 16.jpg

Front axle 17.jpg

Front axle 18.jpg

10. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

very kool ken!

Ken Foran, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  11. Deuces

Deuces

WoW!!!!!......:)

loudbang likes this.
  12. Ken Foran

Ken Foran

I moved on to the front axle spindle housings and after some detective work I think I sorted out how they are to work. Here is a series of still in progress with the left side front showing the parts being made so far. My understanding is that these are from a 1 ton truck and I could not find a clear image of them other than Bruce's photos.
    Wheel Spindle 01.jpg

Wheel Spindle 02.jpg

Wheel Spindle 03.jpg

Wheel Spindle 04.jpg

Wheel Spindle 05.jpg

Wheel Spindle 06.jpg

Wheel Spindle 07.jpg
    Now to work on the right side.

13. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

May I ask how much time you have invested in this project (engineering, acquisition of information, labor)?
    Amazing workmanship.

14. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I machined the tube ends off the MOPAR housing and pressed & welded to the front QC housing tubes. The shaft coming off the back of the "ball" was flanged and bolted to the stock ends

Attached Files:

15. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

This is the assy that bolts to the front axle just to the right of the pic. Part upper right is the hub spindle (with Timkins) that bolted to the knuckles and the wheel hub attached to that
    100_0346.JPG

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    kiwijeff, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  16. Cropped the picture
    20191129_173826.jpg

17. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

extra views

Attached Files:

18. Ken Foran

Ken Foran

I really do not keep track of time since it is so much touch and go with care giving for my wife with cancer. I also do model kit design for Model Expo and when tired of CAD drawing or ship building I use the car for a break and change of pace. I started model building way back when as a form of pain management for disintegrating discs. the focusing required in building allows the diversion from the pain.

19. Ken Foran

Ken Foran

Bruce great pictures and I have used some of them already in building, just wish that pan was not laying on top hiding the arm with the ball socket. Once I get the housings built and positioned correctly per your pictures I will then add the arms and linkage. I can only imagine the challenges you had to overcome when building this the first time. My hats off to you!

kiwijeff, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  20. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Yeah sorry about that, The ball end/arm was for the steering link and it was removed

Deuces, Ken Foran and loudbang like this.
  21. frank spittle

frank spittle

I received an email from Mecum Auctions they are selling cars from the Don Wallace Collection at their Kissimmee Auction and the 2007 Ivo Showboat replica is being sold at no reserve.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  22. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I showed the announcement to Debra--- She said NO !

23. Ken Foran

Ken Foran

My wife said no as well! She said to be happy with the model and keep building it.

24. frank spittle

frank spittle

I agree with her Ken. There are two unbelievable Showboats. It doesn't matter WHO the owners are.. Your build is unbelievable too.

25. Wow that build is incredible, well done..

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

kiwijeff, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  26. Wow that build is incredible, well done..

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces likes this.
  27. Ken, I've learned to never question my wifes judgment. Look who she married.

LAROKE, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  28. Mojo

Mojo

Man, I need to win the lottery. They need to specify that it's a non-runner though. Although, if you were in a position to drop $100k on a car, you'd probably ask if it ran first.

29. Ken Foran

Ken Foran

Finished up the ship kit commission and back to working on the Showboat for a bit. I sorted out the components for the front spindle assemblies to enable the front wheels to turn. Just fabricating a bunch of small parts with a left and a right arms. I also decided to add set screws to the underside of the axle ends so that I will be able to establish the front end wheel track once the wheels are added. Still more parts need to be added but getting the new year off to a good start. Happy New Year to all!
    Front axle 19.jpg

Front axle 20.jpg

Front axle 21.jpg

30. Ken Foran

Ken Foran

I started with the grease fittings which are like the cherry on the sundae.
    Front axle 22a.jpg

Front axle 22.jpg

Front axle 23.jpg

Front axle 24.jpg

Front axle 25.jpg

Front axle 26.jpg Front axle 27.jpg

Front axle 28.jpg

Front axle 29.jpg
    I then moved onto the steering box which is cored out to receive gears if I can find a set of bevel gears .20 in diameter. Any sources would be appreciated.
    Next came the tie rods to be able to adjust the linkage.
    Tie Rod 01.jpg

Tie Rod 02.jpg

Tie Rod 03.jpg
    This end is double bolted for the steering link and the lock nut is in place.
    Tie Rod 04.jpg
    Next came the steering box which was a little challenge to make allowing room for bevel gears.

Steering Gear Box 01.jpg
    I need to turn some small bolts to the box caps. (the four smaller holes.)
    Steering Gear Box 02.jpg
    Here is font axle that I have completed so far and turns great. The open holes in the steering gear box are for gear shafts.
    Steering Gear Box 03.jpg
    Based upon photos from Bruce it looks like I need to move the support arm of the steering box forward a bit which will only impact the steering arm hole location making the arm shorter.