Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects When building the early Fords & GM's are you keeping the wood or replacing it with steel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Great engine choice for your coupe! My buddy, Bob used wood in his 32 chevy build.
    bobchalecs32chevyatquaker_19.jpg Bobchaleks32coupeinterior.jpg

burl, Lil32, mgtstumpy and 5 others like this.
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The termites are sad and will absolutely hate you :D

mgtstumpy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. I don't know about the termites Larry, but when I was helping my pal Mike gather up the remnants of what was once a 1932 Chevy 2 door sedan what wood was left was full of carpenter ant's and the wood actually crumbled in your hands. HRP

Blue One likes this.
  4. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I Woodgrained every piece that originally was wood along with a few that weren't , I have been asked more than once " What kind of wood is that ? " my reply = Ironwood

our pic`s 054 (320x240).jpg our pic`s 050.jpg our pic`s 055.jpg our pic`s 613.jpg IMG_0920.JPG

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    fordflambe, GuyW, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  5. I chose to replace the wood with metal because most of the wood was gone. DSC06696.JPG IMG_7328.JPG

GuyW, Lil32, mgtstumpy and 1 other person like this.
  6. Karl Grossman

Karl Grossman

It was built with wood. Keep it wood. Nothing like original.

jetnow1 and Lil32 like this.
  7. -Brent-

-Brent-

I chose to buy a quality wood kit for my 30 A coupe and use some of it. It's crazy how much rigidity came piece by piece. I assume the interior will look a little more 1960s traditional by keeping the window wood to fasten to.

However, because the car is chopped, I'll be leaving out the top bows and relying on metal (a roof insert to add strength. The same goes for the sheet metal bulkhead. We designed it in a way that it added a ton of strength to the body.

IMG_8196(2).jpg IMG_8212(3).jpg imagejpeg_0(76).jpg

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

All the wood in my 35 Chevy was in excellent condition with some being replaced previously so I retained it rather than steel it out. However I built a solid 34 frame for it with a stout x-member that took away all that torsional twist so the body wouldn't flex when driving on our wonderful roads down here. I sold the 35 frame with drive train to a restorer as it was too good to modify. My car has been on the road now for 15yrs without issue. Had the original wood deteriorated. the car would have been steeled out.

31 B'ville, Lil32 and TFoch like this.
  10. A chev car with wood is a lot quieter inside driving than a ford .
    If the wood is good I save it , no good replace it wit steel.Here is a 34 truck I am doing with steel 20190313_211722.jpg

Lil32, TFoch and mgtstumpy like this.
  11. birdman1

birdman1

My Dad had a 31 Chevy coupe.he said he always had to tighten the screws holding the doors on because they always worked loose from the wood.

12. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I couldn’t see paying the money for the body, floor and top wood kits for my Tudor.

Made my own, wood and hardware I’m into it for less that $150.00

Cliff Ramsdell
    A0D2EB2A-1FE5-4943-8C23-E1BBBA595AAB.jpeg 4094A155-B5EF-4F06-A496-B6775C3DE8E9.jpeg C73F9332-8E10-4CAF-A133-2ED7D9A099A2.jpeg 153E9117-3A3F-4A61-8BA2-100F39B9FC04.jpeg 892BEAFA-E44B-4A96-A053-72127150CC67.jpeg 58319974-389B-4864-9573-2BD631F1F2F8.jpeg

burl, biggeorge, TFoch and 2 others like this.
  13. Really nice work!

Cliff Ramsdell likes this.
  14. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Thanks, nothing special, just an old hot rod that I rebuild and enjoy.

Cliff Ramsdell

15. chrisp

chrisp

I am restoring a 36 chevy 2dr sedan for a guy. I'm replacing the wood in the doors and b posts with steel, but I have to use all the original hardware and make it look factory (I draw my inspiration from the 37 chevy doors).
    It is a giant pain in the ass and time consuming, if it had been mine I would have use wood...

31 B'ville likes this.
  16. Yes quite right Danny, funny enough I came across this picture,

unk%20body.jpg

31 B'ville likes this.
  17. Dirk35

Dirk35

In my 34 Tudor Sedan, I replaced all of the wood with steel tubing.

In my Model A Tudor Sedan, I kept the wood header panel over the windshield, and the wood roof panel ribs cause they are in good shape, but I've replaced all of the other wood (including the rear window surround) with steel tubing. So basically, all of the upright pillars and the upper perimeter inner frame are now steel, but the upper roof section looks like the one Cliff Ramsdell posted. I might change out the roof panel ribs to tie it into the rest of the inner steel framework, I might not.

18. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

This one would be on the road if it weren't for the bad wood.Sheet metal is really in nice shape but you can just about poke your finger through any of the wood framing.I had contacted a couple of vendors about kits and yes it was pretty expensive but theres a lot of work on some of the parts.Timing was a couple of years if they didn't have it in stock.Looks like I will be using steel tubing to repair. 1935 truck.jpg

TFoch likes this.
  19. timeflies

timeflies
    from Guthrie OK

All steel...in my 32 3/window...it’s a race car! It had wood but in poor condition...later.

20. I think a lot depends on what is available vs cost. Also how good is original wood. If a less popular vehicle you may not find a wood kit. So either get good at woodworking or replace with steel. A nice wood kit saves time at expense of cost. Dealing with rotten wood requires something done to address the rot.

On my 37 Chevy Ute, it still has wood used in parts of the body. Much is poor shape and won't hold a screw. As a temp fix I recently drilled 1 inch holes and glued in 1 inch dowel pieces in. Kind of a simple fix, where new wood is where needed and some glue to help the surrounding original wood. Then redrilled and put new screws in. Much better now. But ultimately I think it will get steel replacement as a permanent fix.

21. 8flat

8flat

Great thread, I've really gone back and forth on this with my '33 chevy 5w. I met a guy that rebuilt a couple like mine, street rod, kept it all wood and the floors bowed enough that his doors didn't line up after 3years and he was real bummed out by it, it was a show car level built too.

But I want to retain some wood for the nostalgia of it all. I'm thinking steel floor, B pillars, framing betwixt cabin and trunk, inside the back quarters, and inside the doors (with bearclaws from hotrodlatches of course!). Then buy the individual replacement hardwood pieces for the A pillars (bottom area), above windshield, and ceiling and leave some exposed. That guy out of Arkansas will sell them individually, forget his name right now.

Leaving some wood retains some character, IMO. Also sets us apart from street rods and glass cars, I guess.

22. I originally made replacement B-pillars, front and rear headers out of rough oak from pallets. I took patterns off of the old pieces and did a good job of replicating. But sometime along the way I decided to treat myself to a nice oak wood kit. I'm glad I did, as I'll finish out the AA cab with the polyurethane-sealed oak exposed.