Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Ozzie Build

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by BS!, Mar 13, 2019.

1. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

lucas service part.jpg lucas+wiring+diagram1352031500.jpg Here you go BS! These two items should help to keep the electrics going in proper order.

2. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Not to mention that, simply by dint of being vacuum slide carbies, they're incapable of slipstream "siphoning".

They can, however, still be guilty of "reversion" if the total intake plumbing's too short for the effect.

3. BS!

BS!

Yeah I've got mesh filters on the scoops. They came with them thankfully. See you Sunday

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

4. BS!

BS!

5. BS!

BS!

Ok guys,

It has been a quiet few weeks on this car as we have been off on the annual family holiday.

We spent the break down at an event called "The Rattletrap" which is what i guess is the aussie version of "TROG". The weather was crap and the seaweed caused a few issues but it was still a great event and I managed to catch up with a couple of the NSW HA/GR guys who have built cars for this event. I was a bit slack with pics. Sorry about that.

On the way home we spent a few nights camping in our favourite national park, on the beach and off the grid. It was a good reset for soul and enabled family time without any distraction like a work, house renovations, car building etc

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  6. BS!

BS!

Upon returning from holidays there had been a noticeable change in weather as we are now rapidly approaching our winter.

Here in QLD this is prime cruising weather as the days are usually mild, around mid 20 degrees Celsius and very little chance of rain. This meant it was time to roll out the family wagon and go over it in preparation for the cruising season. Our wagon is a road going model from holden which was powered by the mighty 138ci grey motor which also powers the Hambster.

[​IMG]

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  7. BS!

BS!

With the family wagon ready to go it was focus back to the Hambster. Nothing exciting to really take pictures of but I have managed to tidy up the wiring and fasten the harness to the chassis with cushioned p clips, fasten all the fuel lines with cushioned p clips, have one of my neighbours who is a mobile auto hose bloke knock me out a flexible clutch hose meaning I now have a 100% complete clutch system. I'll probably get him to knock me out a spare just in case. I've tried to use factory parts where possible but the OEM clutch hose was not going to work and to be honest no parts store would carry these in stock anyway. I've also converted the front axle back to "falcon" trailer hubs which fit my stubs properly and will mean ease of access to future bearings and seals should I come to grief.

Next will be a set of headers and a few bits and pieces such as gauge lines, catch can, accelerator pedal and harness while I wait for my wheels to return from being modified.

Once I get it back on all fours my plan is to get the tech inspector back out to make sure he is happy with everything and the changes I have made and then pull it all back apart for paint and sending the bottom out to be machined.

Stay tuned.

8. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Sounds like a good holiday. And you're looking forward to some racing. I'm jealous.

Due to weather here I've enjoyed missing the first three meets so far this season, and due to some really stupid Rose float drama I'll enjoy no vacation this year.

Tip one back for me, will ya? :rolleyes:

9. spanners

spanners

I use mandrel bends for making headers from a place called ECS engines. They have mild steel and stainless pipe, different bends and collectors, reasonable prices and quick postage. I prefer mild steel as it's perfect for gas welding.
    I just got home 30 minutes ago from Gunnedah Drags. I'll do a race report in the next couple of days.

Crosley likes this.
  10. BS!

BS!

Certainly

11. BS!

BS!

Thanks for the heads up I'll take a look at them. I was going the mild steel option for the reasons stated. Look forward to the race report.

12. robsimmons

robsimmons

You're s'posed to be retired!! LOL

13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Old6 will never truly retire.

14. BS!

BS!

Sorry guys, not a lot to update. I've been dickin' around on all the little bits and pieces.

Freight company lost and then found my wheels so these are now back at the powder coaters. 2 steps forward 3 steps back with my wheels/hub and steering choices but this is now all sorted out and fingers crossed i won't have to change it again.

Battery hold down clamp from the local parts store chopped down to suit the small AGM battery I'm running so thats crossed off the list.

Clutch dust cover trimmed down and drilled to suit the Toyota box.

Guage plumbing all done which was a bit of a mission. I used a set of mooneyes gauges I had left over from an old build but they came with the plastic line and compression fittings. Probably could have got some copper line but preferred the more robust braided line option so had to braze a couple of fittings together to get the connections right as I could not find a suitable adaptor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Crosley likes this.
  15. BS!

BS!

In the next week or 2 I'll order the bits and pieces I need for the headers and start nutting out what I will do for an accelerator pedal. I'm pretty tight for space due to where the master cylinder for the brake pedal is located so will have to find something with a bit of offset or that can be cut and shut a bit to suit the space I have to work with.

Once these 2 things are done I'll get the tech inspector back out and if he is happy I'll be pulling it all apart to get into the booth at work and start going through the bottom end.

Slowly getting there..

Black Knight Racing and Crosley like this.
  16. spanners

spanners

Looks the part. Have you got a completion date in mind?
    Is there an 'engine containment device' there to support the motor in case of engine mount breakage. Not sure of the exact specification for it.

17. BS!

BS!

I guess it all comes down to $$$. Ideally I'd like to get some testing in prior to 6 bangers which is what I'm aiming for but at the end of the day this is last on my family's financial priority list.. see how things are looking after EOFY..

As for engine containment the whole setup uses the standard grey motor front x1 and side engine mounts x2 plus an extra mount for the gearbox. Both the engine and gearbox also have a cross member underneath so if all the mounts were to break it wouldn't be possible for it to fall past the front or rear cross members. Nothing was said on the initial inspection so hopefully it's sufficient.

18. spanners

spanners

I can't remember what was said to me when I was building mine. Something along the lines of "there has to be a way of stopping the engine from hitting the road surface in the event of the front mount shearing off". Mine has always passed certification and I've only got the crossmember supporting the front mount.
    Keep chipping away at it. If you don't get it finished until later in the year, let me know if you take it for a Test'n tune night. I'll come up and we might be able to get some of the others to dust their cars off as well for a night of moral support.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  19. BS!

BS!

Cool sounds like it will be fine. Usually im one who likes to work of facts and figures so not having a specific rulebook to work from makes it difficult. As a result I am having to rely on a lot of passed on knowledge from guys like yourself, Steve and Jeff, Ron (who initially sold me the chassis) and Monty who will be doing the TI which I really appreciate.

As soon as it hits the track I will most definitely let you know.

Black Knight Racing likes this.
  20. BS!

BS!

No big photo worthy updates but the next few weeks should see some big milestones starting to be hit again.

Today the IHRA inspector called in to go over all the changes and he was really happy with the car. I now have the go ahead to pull the car down and get some paint on.

Watch this space. Number 1 son approves.

[​IMG]

64 DODGE 440 and Crosley like this.
  21. spanners

spanners

That is a milestone. Won't take long to blow it apart. What colour was you thinking of?

22. BS!

BS!

Blew the car apart over the last 2 nights. The painters at work are quiet at the moment so for a few tins they are flicking some jam on it all for me.

Body panels, dash, firewall and rad cowl is all done and in colour. I've gone an 59 FC Holden colour "Ascot Grey" which is like a gloss primer grey colour with an off white firewall. Once my plans for the sign writting and stuff are done it should look pretty smart.

Chassis, diff and front suspension all in the booth being prepped as I type and are getting done in a satin black.

Getting pretty excited to see colour go on to be honest.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

23. spanners

spanners

That should look pretty shmick. No getting out of the car after being in the water box to wipe down the muddy splashes you'll get up the sides.:D

Crosley likes this.
  24. BS!

BS!

Hahaha. I have to keep reminding them that it is a race car and not to make it too pretty..

25. BS!

BS!

Fresh out of an overnight bake.

Now the fun part of trying to remember how it all goes back together without doing too much damage to the boys work hahaha. Pressure is on.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Crosley likes this.
  26. BS!

BS!

So far so good. Managed to get it back on all fours and keep most the paint on [​IMG]

Crosley likes this.
  27. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

28. BS!

BS!

Busy weekend. I didn't make it out to support the guys at willowbank this weekend but managed to sneak a bit of shed time in on the Hambster. Steering is all back in, brakes are back in andnthe clutch master cyl and plumbing are back in. Hopefully get the bottom end to the machine shop later this week.

[​IMG]

Crosley likes this.
  29. BS!

BS!

Bottom end is now at the machine shop. Stay tuned..

Crosley likes this.
  30. BS!

BS!

Well it's been a long time between updates but I'm still here chipping away.

Around 6 months ago a company I used to work for approached me to go back to work for them. They are a good bunch of people but the job offer was doing FIFO (fly in fly out) work building a remote iron ore mine site some 6000km away from where I live. Having a young family and doing this line of work is not ideal. Lots of travel and time away from home means any time I am home the family gets most of my attention and the poor old Hambster gets very little hence the slow progress.

However, with a bit of organisation and prior planning to ensure any parts I need when I am home are there waiting and ready to go I am still managing to slowly move forward with the build.

Anyway, photos are limited as I'm more focused on making the most of my time than documenting what I am doing but as I get back into the rhythm I'll try remember to keep taking pics and updating this build thread.

Since last update the engine is back together and painted up after all the machine work. Im running a few goodies in the hope of keeping it together. Clutch is in, gearbox is bolted on and the driveline is back in the car. Next will be get the wiring and plumbing back in and it should be close to fire up time.

[​IMG]

Black Knight Racing and Crosley like this.