Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flathead oil filter relocation.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boden, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Boden

Boden

Where should I relocate my flatheads stock oil filter to. It is ugly on the motor (even when painted) I have heard about in the front fender. But I want some more ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. clem

clem

You may want to explain what type of car you are working on.
    I’m guessing that it’s the one in your avatar, and that the motor is an 8ba ford.

3. Slopok

Slopok

Chrome it, that would be traditional! What I don't understand that if you're so concerned about little details, then why didn't you freshen up the firewall and engine compartment when the engine was out??? :confused:

Bandit Billy likes this.
  4. Boden

Boden

I did paint all the heater boxes and battery tray and everything. I also painted the inner fenders. I just didn’t paint the firewall. And I regret is very much. I don’t know where I can get it chromed also.

5. Boden

Boden

And. The car is a 1953 ford Customline [​IMG]

duncan and clem like this.
  6. Boden

Boden

Anybody?

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Can you mount it on the firewall? May look cool and hide whatever you don't like about your firewall...

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Stephen Barrett likes this.
  9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like 'em so much I've chromed them in the past! They say "Flathead"! loud and clear.

10. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

If it is the stock bypass filter, just remove it. They only filter 10% of the oil.

11. rusty valley

rusty valley

this an earlier car, but i put it on the fire wall to get it out of the way of things. i cut the bracket off, then used a bracket from a different brand filter i had. i made a new band IMG_1328.JPG that fit my canister, and modified the bracket for the fire wall

Texas Webb likes this.
  12. adam401

adam401

I removed mine. Local guys I know seem to always remove them as well. I have to say I do like how they look stock black, stock location on a clean flatty though.

I guess on a car that racks up miles 10 percent filtration is still better than none but I'm not worried about it.

13. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

I mounted mine on the firewall very easy to connect lines. 20191001_151542.jpg 20191007_140212.jpg

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

10% is better than 0%.

warbird1 and Boden like this.
  15. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

@Boden I actually like the stock location like on @19Fordy. I have a remote filter like @chop job mounted on my frame kind of hidden. I was thinking about getting the old style. Love the look of them. I guess that's where everyones personality comes out with their car. That's what I really like about seeing everyones builds on here. What ever you decide it will be great. Good luck and have fun.

16. 55styleliner

55styleliner

I run without one. Just change the oil every 1000 miles.

17. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I took mine off. Just keep fresh oil in it

18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We've been through this before many times, but I guess it needs to be said again. There have been folks who have meticulously measured the efficiency of bypass filters on flatheads before. They consistently come up with the fact that all of the oil goes through the filter in about 5 minutes. ALL of the oil is filtered. Because less oil passes through the filter during a given time period, the filter is finer than a full flow filter, thus it will remove smaller particles. The way these cars are used these days, bypass filters are actually superior to full flow filters. The are not operated under dusty conditions or on dirt roads. They are operated under the best of conditions, with more frequent oil and filter changes than back in the day. You guys recommending removing them are doing a disservice to most flathead owners. Changed every 2000 miles along with the oil (the factory recommended interval), a bypass filter system will result in superior engine cleanliness that any full flow filter system cannot match. If you are off-roading your flathead or maybe have it in a "Sandrail", you can probably ignore this advice, but if you're mainly cruising on good roads during nice weather, you can not do much better than running a stock bypass system.

Instead of changing your oil every 1000 miles, you would be better off using that time and money doing a chassis lube every 1000 miles (also the factory recommendation). That way, you will be providing proper maintenance and your front suspension will last a lot longer.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    V8-m, warbird1 and Texas Webb like this.
  19. 19Fordy

19Fordy

tubman: THANK YOU for the clarification.

Boden and Texas Webb like this.
  20. Very well explained tubman.

Boden likes this.
  21. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Boden,
    Are you still trying to use a filter to ventilate your engine??
    Have you installed a different intake or did you install a PCV?????