Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chasing a Vibration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Oct 14, 2019.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

The old thread about this has gotten a little stale so I thought you might be interested in what we finally found. It's been a long journey to arrive at a simple solution. We've changed the drive shaft, moved the pinion angle around, checked the axles for run out, balanced everything that could be balanced, changed the angle on the trans, put on new tires (the old ties were 12 years old) We had just about given up and decided to pull the trans when Mike said let's try one more thing, he got a new 1310 yoke for the differential and presto, no more vibration. I have talked to a major 9 inch differential builder who has built over 100,000 differentials and he said he never had a differential vibrate. Guess there's a first time for everything. Just glad the problem is solved. Thanks Mike.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That yoke would be something to pass on to someone that "deserves" it.
    You know, the gift that keeps on giving.

da34guy and firstinsteele like this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Great. According to the Beach Boys you only want good vibrations.:D

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I guess the yoke's on you....

Seriously, that is pretty unusual. Glad you got it, that stuff can drive you crazy.

-Abone.

5. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Better than chasing a vibrator!

big duece likes this.
  6. I chased a rear vibration for a long time, I found a rear brake drum that was not balanced changed both and problem gone. Front vibration bolt pattern was not concentric on rotors, bad rotors. I bought some from Ralph Linsea at ECI problem gone. Results are nice when we share them.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Wow! Glad you found it.

8. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Were there any ears broke off? I could see that cause it.

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

The center section was built by a nationally known builder and the yoke was new and was just like the new one that replaced it. There was nothing broke on the original yoke. There has to something machined slightly off but you can't see it.

10. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

That yoke missed QC, OP still have it? I'd like to check it out to see where it's off..

12. trollst

trollst

Yeah, me too, chased a vibration in the steering wheel at exactly 60 mph, could drive through it and make it go away. Twenty years.......changed tires three times, wheels twice, front rotors, rear end, new mags all round, couldn't find it. BUT, custom made driveshaft had never been off, discovered by accident it was bent ever so slightly in the center, so $400 later....no vibration in the steering wheel, only took twenty years, but perseverance pays off.

chryslerfan55 and Jet96 like this.
  13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'm not that familiar, when you swap a yoke does that affect the bearing clearances, crush sleeve etc.. Just wondering if maybe you had a bearing preload problem you inadvertently fixed.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That Yoke being off and causing a vibration is something that 99.999 % of us would never think of.
    I got real good at chasing down Vibrations when I worked in a Pontiac Dealership in
    Texas in the 70's but nowhere near that good.

15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Just for clarification, I'm not badmouthing the company that built the center section as they had no way of knowing the pinion yoke was defective. I'm sure this is a very rare occurrence that may not happen again. Just my bad luck.

Boneyard51 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. It’s going to take a fella 275 years to build 100,000 differentials if he does 1 a day 365 days a year.
    Let’s say this guy is just normal and has a family and just works 2000 hrs a year like most.
    Then he needs to do 1 differential an hour for 50 years.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    19Eddy30, chryslerfan55 and Texas57 like this.
  17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Well I can only assume he's not bullshitting me and that he has a large team of builders doing several differentials each a day. I have no idea how many years he's been in business. Just for information I was talking to John's 9 inch Factory. Sounds like a lot of rear ends to me also.

18. All I’m saying is it’s impossible for a guy to see 100,000 differentials go together or check them, or road test them.

Ok, so 10 guys 1 a day 365 days a year for 27 years.
    20 guys 1 a day for 260 working days a year for 20 years.
    7 hrs to set up a center section and assemble axle seals and bearings bolt it all together.

That’s just differential builders not including the fab guys, axle shortening, shipping receive, paint, or office staff. Takes a lot to get 100,000 differentials together and out the door

19. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Once again, "Picking fly shit out of pepper" <sigh>

Bugguts likes this.
  20. No, not really.
    It’s about numbers and averages.

Maybe krylon32 is the only person in the world so far to have a 9” rear with a problematic pinion yolk or someone is full of shit.

No exaggeration here, 100 plus times I’ve been looking at bad parts in my hands and listening to someone tell me they’ve never seen or heard of such a thing and that no one else has ever complained, or they’ve sold upteen bazzillion. It’s industry standard Bullshit.

Boneyard51, 19Eddy30, X-cpe and 4 others like this.
  21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

My memory thinks I did 9" chucks from a pile of clean parts to ready to go in housing in about 4 hrs..Still at 2 a day.....................................

22. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I would put my faith in a yoke that is 60 years old, before using a new one that came from China. Nothing coming from China is made to last.

dirty old man, bobss396 and 19Eddy30 like this.
  23. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I sure as hell ain't arguing with you guys. Our nitch is only a minuscule part of the rear end industry and most differentials go to many other industrial venues other than hot rods. Back when we were buying our 9 inch rears from Currie I forget what their salesman told me about their business producing 100's of rears for forklifts, airport trucks etc. I assume if all you did was sit a work station all day building differentials with new parts that you would get dam fast? I also have to assume there are many technicians doing the same job. So who knows??????

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  24. X-cpe

X-cpe

Come on, if I haven't seen it, it can't be so.:D If they could make perfect parts they wouldn't have to offer a warranty.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.

25. They are perfectly capable, They do whatever you ask. The problem is the importer who’s main objective is profit Tells them to make it cheaper Because 30% profit is not enough and the importer needs 200% profit. This importer could easily be your neighbor or part of your community There are many
    The main global social problem is Some of that labor force is eight-year-old kids working very hard so they don’t get their kidneys harvested.

Baumi likes this.
  26. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Sure, there is lots of blame to go around, but it all leads back to "NOTHING FROM CHINA IS MADE TO LAST".

dirty old man likes this.
  27. ... lol ... except for a great, big, wall, and the oldest climate information on the planet. Which thankfully for us, supports our carbon fuel hobby, NOT affecting this planet. So there is that. :)

28. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’m going to have to disagree that they would have no way of knowing. Having a limited machining background, I know all machining processes have tolerances and are measured with gauges. This yoke somehow slipped through inspection. Some companies check every part, some check every third or so part, assuming the parts in between are also good. What ever method used, this defective part made it through.

If you know who made this part, I’m sure they would be interested in getting it back, to inspect it. Or at least if it was MY company I would and replace it with a good part.

Edit:
    Going to have to edit my post, a little , after carefully reading krylon32s post. My references were for the original manufacturer. I can see were the company building the rear end could miss a improperly machined yoke.

Bones

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  29. The original U-joints were in phase with each other?

30. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

U joints were in phase, Driveshaft built and balanced by one of the best in this part of the country.