Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My 1929 Model A Tudor Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fiftee3, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Hello all,
    Been doing a lot of searching here. Taking it all in. My first two posts were helpful and thanks to all. I took first maiden run up the street today, twice! Have insurance but no plates yet.So I am titling this as my build because it is. Don’t follow along just yet as it will be a slow start. Very slow. But I wanted a specific post so I could update as I progress. I originally wanted a 29 for so long to chop, fenderless etc. but after my first post a couple said to do old school fine red rod and I’m starting to think, I like. As I said before I’m a Chevy guy so this is all new to me. I like the Winters banjo rear end, want 16” wheels, smoothies or possibly Ford spokes, white walls, sitting a little lower in front, want tires to fill fenders, not sure about engine, we’ll see.
    Anyway, here’s my recently acquired new project...

Found these in a search, really like the first one, with possibly a chop like second pic.
    Thanks for looking....

E5ADCE31-EF13-48F5-A43F-EDED60BC4CEC.jpeg

259F7CCE-8127-45FF-B953-6E2B1558012D.jpeg

brEad, Texas Webb, Just Gary and 3 others like this.
  2. pkhammer

pkhammer

Good luck with your build Phil! Model A's make great hot rods no matter how you build them. Both pics you posted are cool but I really like the first one.

3. I probably should hold off till I’m further ahead, but I have to post. It’s 48 degrees here in Bridgewater NJ today. Been driving my 29 Banger as is and loving it! Have had many hot rods in my life but drivin around at 35mph is way too cool! Just got many thumbs up from a few Harley riders. Makes me miss my 2 wheelers, but getting the the approval from my unknown brothers is way cool. I am loving this damn Tudor!.
    Pulled off the top as it was peeling up in the rear. Surprised how good it looked underneath...

7BAF39D2-3E45-4297-A062-A0D28F8F3DE6.jpeg
    6A636EFD-13BE-4C3B-B364-1A2041551A05.jpeg
    92724269-9CA7-4D93-8DF2-ECD6D49AC56E.jpeg

brEad and Just Gary like this.
  4. Very slow going. I’ll explain. So I made a deal with Upper Managemant that because I thought this 29 was a great deal, I would not touch it for 2 years. I was only to acquire it. Too many home projects to be done. But hey, it’s like puttin a dog biscuit on the floor and telling your dog he can’t eat it! So I am trying to sneak here and there...

Recently acquired these 16” Wheels. Was trying to find Kelseys but felt this was a very fair deal. Scored 5 wheels, 2 650’s, 3 550’s and brand new chrome caps. Was an hour away. The gent was very nice and we had great conversation. I’m always leary of C- - - - -list. They were sandblasted and painted and looked good with hardly a bent spoke. We’ll see.

DDF6682F-1009-41A2-9C62-1BD70A134AB8.jpeg

5251A731-EAC0-4CF2-9DEF-4AF0D36A9F6A.jpeg

Sanded them up and painted them Black. Going to put them on today.

4284A2A3-3FCA-4245-BF6A-7AF87CA57BA9.jpeg

brEad and Just Gary like this.

5. greener200

greener200

What do ya mean Honey ?? ,,,,I,ve always had those wheels ......works 80 % of the time! Great A !!!

6. Yes! Haha. I have to sneak thing in!
    So wheels are all re painted and I am Sooooo happy. I feel like I went from mom and pop to late 40’s hot rod in a few hours. Rides way better. Old wheel were bent.
    So while I have a few posts here one asking of 302 pics, I have decided to go Banger. I love that little 4. Ordering split headers, new intake manifold, carb , lion speed head, and more...
    Going to add parts as I go, then in 2 years (as promised) I will completely take apart and re do frame, body, etc. just want to drive as is for now. I love this thing....

691D48FD-5C75-404C-B42B-38415A62F048.jpeg

D6B3E5F4-C884-450E-AD50-3635ACC2782B.jpeg

brEad and 'Mo like this.
  7. Some help. With new tires shown. What is the best way to lower front and rear. Need some help here.
    I’m thinking 3” front 2 “ rear. Thoughts?

8. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Reverse eyes on the spring main leaves and remove a couple of leafs from the top of the stack.
    Just make sure you have a plan to install decent shock absorbers they help smooth things out.

9. Not much to report. Saving money for Bager engine rebuil. Did remove those shitty trailer lights on the rear fenders and got 2 new stock units. Wet sanded entire car and sprayed with flat clear. It’s driving great now and I absolutely love it. Did an alignment. Was way off, and as
    So balanced all tires at work. Needed a top. Not sure which way to go. For now, I made a top today from a Tarp I bought on amaz.... took me about 1.5 hrs. I know, most of you will make fun, but hey, I got some shade and if I get stuck in rain it takes 3-5 minutes to throw on after unfolding it!
    See below...(no laughing allowed!)

brEad and 'Mo like this.
  10. I have a stock lower axle with a stock spring and a model T spring in the rear. Don't really know how low just yet as the body is still off. Click on my link in the sig area and go to the 1928 Tudor build.

I gotta start back on it again :(.

11. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

12. Moving along slowly. Enjoy driving it so much don’t want to take it apart! So, for starters, because my steering is way bad, I ordered a new steering box from Randy Gross out in CA. One of the nicest guys you will ever speak with. It is the F100 box converted over to the A shaft. I had him do the 31 spline setup in stead of my 29. I did because I ordered the 16” 1940 Ford steering wheel from Limeworks. Supposed to be better ratio and way less play, and overall better steering from what I have read. I also had him cap off the bottom as I do not want to use the original clip on switch assembley. It bolts right in with only having to drill third hole for frame mont. Not required, but he advises to do it, I will. I will post how it rides after I install. Here is a couple of pics...

7036B2C9-C35C-4032-B330-27BB73D81248.jpeg F5897E6A-7E11-4A3A-AE94-272C7DEBD0C7.jpeg 37A6E233-6037-44F5-BC2A-329B70C992D9.jpeg 2F5F725F-7395-4F9C-BA34-B09410E7AE1C.jpeg

drdave, loudbang and brEad like this.
  13. So it’s in. Was simple. It lined right up with original holes. Took all but 10 minutes to put it in. Will drill third hole tomorrow. Let all know how it steers when done...

loudbang likes this.
  14. He assured me starter should go in with no issues, we’ll see...

loudbang and brEad like this.
  15. Looking forward to the performance report. Been thinking about one of these boxes for mine.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Thanks for the reply Doc,
    Ya know, it’s funny. I have done many searches on this box and I never see many pics. I thought I could help others by posting but not much interest. Thanks for responding. I will post how it drives as I can’t wait to try. It was soooo bad! If all works I will be ordering all my mechanical brakes from him. What a great guy. Awaiting my new steering wheel. Post soon, thanks...

drdave and loudbang like this.
  17. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

Looks good. Does Randy do all sorts of different steering boxes?

loudbang likes this.
  18. Mike, as far as I know, only the F100 conversion for the model A.

loudbang likes this.
  19. So after a few rides, the new steering box is...well, Awesome! Huge difference. No slop. I feel safe as far as veering into a curb. Very happy with it and Randy is straight up awesome. Answers the phone every time I call. Leaky water pump next. Saving for my Miller OHV setup!
    Enjoy your cars guys (And gals) taking her out today to last cruise night in Flemington, NJ.

Yeah, i’ll Be in the slow lane, but not for long!!!

20. Still really not much to add. Still saving for my Miller OHV setup, new motor ant T5. Until then, just love driving this little Buggy. Purchased a King Bee fog lamp. Came with mounting bracket but I have no bumper so I found an old ships bell mount and there u have it. Found thev12V bulbs for it. Love it!!
    Also replaced my leaky W Pump with a leakless from Mikes. Working out well. No leaks!
    Will be at Flemington Speedway Society show this Saturday. Any Hambers please say hello!

AA202DC5-C4D4-4F2F-81C6-31F0DA071CD3.jpeg
    5882DDD9-6310-4B62-91EE-130476FF7300.jpeg
    E8234FFB-D0AA-4447-B491-F5B02D7207F1.jpeg

brEad and loudbang like this.
  21. I just add a little something here...
    Stupid me. Saturday morning after replacing my water pump I went for a little ride. So happy that it didn’t leak any more, I grabbed my water bottle on the bench an drank. Well, I had grabbed the water bottle I recently emptied some coolant into. So, after calling Poison Control and flying to the Hospital, needless to say, I am happy to be back from the dead. Turns out I could have gone blind, had total loss of kidneys or died. After a long weekend of anti dote, and many, many blood tests, I am happy to be home. Scary thing is this...watch your kids and grandkids. If they were to drink it, you’d never know. I had no pain, no vomiting no stomach ache whatsoever. Scary. Just be careful...lesson learned for me. Thru the years I have had paint, oil etc in cups in the garage that I have tasted. BE CAREFUL!
    Happy to still be here...

loudbang, slv63 and drdave like this.
  22. Wow! Thank goodness you are OK!! Always good for a reminder to be careful!

loudbang likes this.
  23. Glad to hear you survived that experience! Thanks for the warning.

loudbang likes this.
  24. 101Scout

101Scout

I'm loving your build, Phil. Have you made any more changes? Lowering, Miller head, etc? Or just enjoying driving it too much? :) Great car, hope all is well!

25. ModelAMitch

ModelAMitch

Hey I just stumbled upon this thread. I enjoyed reading the whole thing! I’m in about the same boat as you are with my new Model A, keep updating I’d love to read more.