Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage A few pictures from Hershey 2019

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BuckeyeBuicks, Oct 12, 2019.

1. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Here are a few cars for sale at Hershey I though some HAMBers might enjoy. DSCF0864.JPG DSCF0839.JPG DSCF0840.JPG DSCF0857.JPG DSCF0856.JPG DSCF0843.JPG DSCF0844.JPG DSCF0845.JPG DSCF0847.JPG DSCF0854.JPG DSCF0835.JPG

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Nice mix there, flabagasted at the price on that Poncho! In saying that I'd say that it looks to be a frame off restoration.

wvenfield and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Thanks for sharing . I agree with mgtstumpy you would hope it was a complete resto. Engine/trans/rear and suspension.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. clem

clem

Thanks for posting.
    A question on the ‘34 3 window regarding the ‘bid box’, is that a common way of selling a car at a swap meet over there ?
    Just curious as I have never seen it done before.

5. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

No, I think the owner was one of those guys that is afraid to put a price on it thinking he might lose a nickel by pricing it too cheap. He wants to auction the car off with out paying a "commission" or maybe he does not really want to sell it, just wants to see what he could get for it if he did sell it.

jim snow and clem like this.
  6. ............Same here, never seen that before. Don't really like the idea.

Dino 64, clem and jim snow like this.
  7. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He can ask whatever he wants but it doesn't mean he'll get it. May be trying to recoup restoration costs.

8. jim snow

jim snow

Never seen a bid box either. I would never consider participating in such nonsense.jmho. Snowman

9. Allmotor

Allmotor

He told me that the car has been in his barn for years and he will be able to tell by the bid, if the buyer is serious and going to restore the car. Said he will not sell to a hot rod person.

jim snow likes this.
  10. Justin in PA

Justin in PA

It had some blurb that said to write down what is the highest price that you would quit bidding at if the car were at auction. The guy was fishing.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

12. jim snow

jim snow

F him then. Once it is no longer yours you have no say in anything that happens to it. Snowman

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Dino 64 and CME1 like this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

NO. First time I've seen that and this was my 50th year at Hershey. Guy was fishing to see what the average would be willing to pay. Bob

14. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think "Hershey" prices are so ridiculously high is because of stories going around that "foreign" buyers will pay anything for a car - ".....guy with a suitcase full of cash", etc. Greed is a human trait, I guess.

Hershey, & Carlisle (both huge international events) are the last place I'd look to buy a car.

clem and jim snow like this.
  15. clem

clem

Thanks for the replies to my question.
    To OP, apologies if this distracted the original topic of your thread.

16. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

I talked to the dude with the "bid box". He told me some bullshit story about seeing what kind of bids he would get on the car then if his upcoming visit to his heart doctor didn't look good he might give the high bidder a call. I think he gave several different stories depending on who was asking. A buddy of mine said the story he got was he was just putting out feelers to see what the market was. The car obviously wasn't for sale or he would have put a price on it. What a dickhead.

ct1932ford and jim snow like this.
  17. 34Larry

34Larry

Bid Box damned smart idea out here in the PNW. I don't see or understand you guys pushing back.o_O

18. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I talked to the guy with the bid box coupe and got his bullshit story, what a dick with ears! I had my buddy go back and ask about it a little later. He got a whole different story, I think the guy is just an asshole that thinks he is going to find a sucker!

jim snow and my2nd40 like this.
  19. One of the main reasons why I've never bought a car here. PNW prices are insane. Thought that 25yrs ago when I got here, and have never seen a reason to change my mind.