Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 Chev

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Oct 13, 2019.

1. scotts52

scotts52

I got a question and thought maybe someone here might know. What would it take to turn a 1960 Chevy wagon into a hardtop wagon so there wouldn't be any pillars? Is it possible to do with factory parts or would everything be custom made?

2. squirrel

squirrel

it would take a wagon and a hardtop, and a lot of work.

Is it a 2dr or 4dr wagon?

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've seen it done to a early 60s mopar wagon but it was made into a two door hardtop wagon from a 4 door post type, very cool.

4. belair

belair

It certainly isn't as easy as staying with a sedan body style would be. A long time ago someone did some drawings in a car mag of a 1961 Chevy wagon, making it a hardtop/ Nomad. I don't remember it as being particularly attractive.
    https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...ZvlAhVKAqwKHSSECSsQMwhRKAYwBg&iact=mrc&uact=8

Found this by googling "1961 Chevrolet hardtop station wagon". There was another pic of the car as well.

5. scotts52

scotts52

I have a 4 dr wagon and the lower body is rotten so I was thinking about grafting the top "wagon" portion onto a hardtop but wasn't sure if the proportions would work or if it would just end up looking like an abomination.

6. squirrel

squirrel

As you can see, the roofline on the wagon is sort of like a sedan with the back section added on...but it's not really....

I think it will be a lot of work, but could be made to look nice. But it would be a lot of work. A whole lot of custom parts would need to be made, including glass and window frames.

Years ago I built an extended cab 59 chevy pickup using a chunk of 58 Suburban body, and it was a lot of work...and it was dirt simple, compared to what you have in mind.

Anyways, spend some time looking at pictures and imagining how you could actually put pieces together to make it work. If you can't come up with a decent plan, then you might want to find something else to do with the old wagon. In the old days, we'd take off the good parts and crush the remains. I don't know if you're allowed to do that today.

also if you can get ahold of a 59 to early 60s Chevy master parts book, it will show exploded views of many of the body parts, which is real handy for figuring out what parts you have to work with, from the different body styles. Those parts books are hard to find, unfortunately. I have a 59 parts book, here are scans of a few pages, if you get serious about this idea.

60 brochure.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg 6.jpg 2.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

7. I still say that for every 20 projects we see started here, 18 of them will stall or fail. I try to keep things a whole lot simpler knowing my limitations and time frame I'd like to finish it in. For a project you'd have to be on a par with Robert and the '55 Chevy wagon build, or Cody Walls on whatever he dives into.

8. finn

finn

This is one of those questions where the answer is probably “if you have to ask, it’s probably beyond your skill level”

The wagon, as shown in previous answers, shares windshield height with the sedan.. the hardtop has a lower roof and windshield height.

Anything’s possible, though, given enough skill, money, and perseverance.

9. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

If you want a hardtop wagon, or what it may look like, take a gander at 1960 Polara wagons.

10. scotts52

scotts52

I don't need a random hardtop wagon. I have a 57 Caballero. Just was wanting to work with what I have to make something different