Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Kids and hot rods/ customs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boden, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Boden

Boden

Has anyone seen any younger people with hot rods/ customs. I’m Talking about high schoolers to late 20 year olds. No one in my area I know of. But I will be one in a few years. Since I’m only a freshmen.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

guthriesmith and 65pacecar like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Good for you. Have not seen any around here lately.

Boden likes this.
  3. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

This is going to be a problem in the future and a lot of us have been talking about it. I don't see hardly any young people with cars at a car show or cruise in. I think there are some that are interested but can not afford or don't have the ability to have a car. I like to talk to the younger people and encourage them not give up if they are really interested in the sport.

Boden likes this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

not common but, they are out there - some shows have a special young guns area SAM_0573.JPG

32SEDAN, 65pacecar and Boden like this.

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

Just curious. Previously you stated that you are 12 years old but on the profile page says you are 41. I'm a bit confused.

uncleandy 65 likes this.
  6. morac41

morac41

I have 9 grand kids range from 12-20 all boys and only one is half intrested in my cars ..most of them have there faces stuck in laptops or cell phone

7. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Not twenties anymore but my friends and I are in our thirties and have old cars.
    Here’s a pic from the car club picnic last month, the A is driven by an old guy, the rest of us are under 40. We’ve all been into cars since before we could drive.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32SEDAN, wicarnut and 65pacecar like this.
  8. Boden

Boden

Lucky kid.

32SEDAN and 65pacecar like this.
  9. Boden

Boden

Sorry abt my age confusion. When I sighned up for the H.A.M.B. I put down my fathers birth year since I wasn’t sure if there is a age restriction now. I’m 13 and will be turning 14 on the 22

10. Boden

Boden

Workin on my first car. 53 ford custom line [​IMG][​IMG]

11. I'm in my mid 20's right now but have been playing around hot rods, customs and muscle cars my entire life, was the odd man out in high school for sure, lol.

Sweet little 53 your working on!

Ron Funkhouser and Boden like this.
  12. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Convince your buddies to build a HotRod or Custom too. You’ll have more fun

Boden likes this.
  13. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

This!
    But car guys is car guys,
    If you’ve got real car guys for friends it shouldn’t matter what your driving or working on. I know my friends would help me out fixing a car weather it was an old ford, a racecar or a new Honda. (It probably won’t be a Honda)

Real car guys and real friends will enjoy the challenge and learning about something new to them, and also the friendship built around working together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boden likes this.
  14. gene-koning

gene-koning

My 19 year old grandson has a 64 Chrysler Newport he bought when he was 14. At that time it had to be put into his mothers name, but rest assured it is his car. His car interest runs pretty deep, but his interest isn't necessarily in HAMB friendly cars. Gene

Ron Funkhouser and wicarnut like this.
  15. Boden

Boden

Thanks a lot man

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. Boden

Boden

I’m trying. But most of their parents are dopes and don’t know which end of the screwdriver to use. Haha. So they don’t support the kid and plus my friends didn’t grow up around it like it did. My family says it’s in my genes. That confused me until a few years ago. Haha

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. I can relate to that, plus the current youth car trends favor the drift/tuners and that stupid hellaflush stance. I will say a lumpy cam with open headers in the parking lot though will convert some over to the good ol stuff, worked with my O/T 68 Camaro.

Boden likes this.
  18. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

A friend and I were chuckling about this on Friday. He said they should change "Hot August Nights" to "Old August Nights"

19. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

We have a Cars and Coffee in Lexington that I have seen several kids in the lates teens to late 20s coming in with some early iron along with some Muscle cars. Also seen a few in Somerset including one young guy that is into flatheads. There is a girl in town that drove her 56 Chevy that she built herself along with her dad to the prom last year. Not a ton of them, but I have been seeing a few jump into the hobby.

Usually see a decent amount of young people in Socal when I am out there into cars from the 30s to 60s. Two girls in their late teens or early 20s show up at Bobs in Burbank in some non H.A.M.B. friendly cars but both driving some pretty mean sounding stuff, both say they helped build and work on them.

20. 1953naegle

1953naegle

I'm 31. Seems that everyone my age or younger thinks these old cars are cool but NONE of them are willing to put the work into them.

Kids want a "cool" vehicle that helps in the popularity competition. Mud trucks and rice burners are the easy option. Frigg'n Rat Rods are ruining a lot of good projects IMO.

The only way to fix it IMO is to get them while they are young, I mean like my 2 year old son and 6 year old daughter who get lots of encouragment to build stuff on their own and get to enjoy my cars with me. They'll learn the joy of rebuilding a classic and making it their own and hopefully the Rat Rodders will leave some cars for them to play with in the next 10-15 years.

21. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Most of the guys I know in their 20s and 30s are more into '60s and '70s stuff. One buddy of mine has a pretty sweet 55 Plymouth two door sedan with a straight axle under it. Neat car!

22. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I also work with a guy in his early 20s that daily drives a survivor 41 Plymouth, at least in good weather. He knows every inch of that car, it’s history and how to work on it.

23. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Good points, I agree. Also, building models was always a great introduction to hot rodding and dreaming about cars, but it is now pretty expensive and most kids are not into them anymore. I’m in my early 40s but grew up building models then Real cars and now a design Engineer in the auto industry. I like Hagertys push to get kids interested the hobby too. I grew up around muscle cars and drag racing and got into hot rods through an older gentleman and great friend who recently passed. I have been seeing more cars at shows and cars and Coffee lately with cars seats in the back seats for their kids, so it seems to have picked up slightly at least.

1953naegle likes this.
  24. I think you can put a little of that blame for the focus on muscle cars due to video games. As the younger crowd (myself included) grew up with video gaming if a racing game featured anything vintage it was late 60's early 70's muscle cars. Though in the last 5ish years older stuff has been popping up. A few of the games have 55 and 57 Chevy's, 32 Fords, 49 Mercury's to maybe draw a younger kid from his Nissans and Ferrari's.

It doesn't help with all of these restoration/build tv shows that make it look like you can do complete cars in a short amount of time and that any and all aftermarket pieces just bolt on perfectly like an original piece.

65pacecar and 1953naegle like this.
  25. Uribe

Uribe

When I was 18 my first car was a 66 mustang which I luckily still have, at 22 I had a 59 fairlane and a couple of other cars throughout the years. I'm 39 now and come to think of it, I don't know of any teens or people in their 20s with old cars around here. That's a little sad. Gonna do my part and try my best to influence my 3 boys. My 17 year old is saving for an old car, and my 10 year old is starting to ask a lot of questions about my mustang and my 46 ford. That's a nice ride you got there Boden. Love that it has its flathead.

1953naegle likes this.
  26. Boden

Boden

Here are some pictures of me[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    First picture is the day I got the car, second is when I was takin apart my merc motor for that sweet crank, and third is me puttin the finished merc motor all souped up back in the car.

27. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I don't see too many younger guys around here with older rides and my son who is in his twenties and his buddies are into the new Challengers and Mustangs that are on the car lots. I do see younger guys at the swap meets but I too believe it's more economics that keep them from enjoying the hobby. I read recently that more younger adults are still living at home now than any other time since the 1940s.

Boden and 65pacecar like this.
  28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Every. Single.week.

Some one posts a “are young people/ younger don’t- hot rod” thread.

Yes there are literally thousands.

Can we please stop posting this same question over and over and over?

Shit @HOTRODPRIMER starts 900 posts a day and he still comes up with things to post that aren’t this same damn thing

29. I see a few participating in shows and cruise-ins and I always ask parents if they want to take their kids pic in my coupster. Then I tell parents I may have created their monster. Smiles are worth it.

30. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Actually, since this thread was started by the younger generation and new hot rodder I think it’s a great thread to discuss and support his efforts going forward. Glad to see teenagers jumping into the hobby. I agree, many threads have been started (maybe too many) and discussed but nice to see one started by a guy building a car before he can drive.

Boden and ramblin dan like this.