Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Where Have They Gone ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '34 Terraplane, Oct 12, 2019.

1. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

I've been thinking about posting this thread for quite awhile. How many of you remember seeing a special or uniquely built rod years ago, really liked it, and then it just disappeared off the face of the earth? I know I can think of quite a few.
    What happens to them? Are they re-done into a completely different car? Are they sitting in someone's garage gathering dust or have they just been allowed to rust away?
    I'm going to post photos I've taken years ago of three cars that I think fall into the "disappeared" category. Maybe someone here knows where they are or what has happened to them.

Feel free to post photos of others that you think are great builds but have disappeared.
    Here's a few of mine:

From late 1970's - early 1980's ...this car was known as "Pinocchio" because of the VERY extended front end.
    Studebaker - Pinochio.jpg
    From late 1970's - early 1980's - "Radial Rod" I think this was a magazine build for B.F. Goodrich
    Radial Rod.jpg
    Look CLOSELY. This is a full size late 40's - early 50's Chevy Truck cut down to 3/4 scale and placed on an S-10 chassis. Quite a feat to keep the proper porportions and one of the most unique and well-done modifications I've ever seen! I think it was from Kentucky. Where is it now?
    Three Quarter size pick-up.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I feel like I saw that long nose car in Kansas about 8 years ago at a little car show. It was red.

Could have been a totally different car but in my mind in was pretty similar

wicarnut and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. upspirate

upspirate

I saw the 3/4 size Chevy truck at the NSRA nats (maybe the flood year?) and was blown away

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Man,,the Pinocchio was awesome. It looks like it could have been a limousine in its early life!
    Real classy look!!!

Tommy

wicarnut likes this.

5. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

Here's a couple more.... are they still around?
    From eastern Ohio (Salem?)
    '46 -'48 Chevy , cut EVERYWHERE!

George Dors Chevy.jpg
    Early George Poteet owned car (I think)
    George Poteet T.jpg

6. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

I often wonder the same thing..

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The 48 Chevy was featured on the thread What Ever Happened Too thread ((W 'E 'H' T' ) by @OG lil E. It is still around. Primered with flames.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I can't post photos with this tablet but I can say just about anything built by Ken Fenical (Posies) would fit this thread perfectly.
    At the time they were a bit "out there", but nothing he built would be considered "homogenized".
    This may be a good opportunity for the street rod police to go for a long walk!

9. bchctybob

bchctybob

A good friend of mine, Brian Smith (RIP) built a stunning ‘50 Chevy pu that was featured in several magazines. It was dark blue, chopped a little, sectioned enough to lose a grille bar or two and the tailgate was modified to read “Cheverylo”. Haven’t seen it in years, always wondered where it went. Wish I had a photo.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. 31Apickup

31Apickup

That 3/4 scale Chevy pickup used to show up at the nats north, now that I think of it, probably 20 years ago.

lothiandon1940 and upspirate like this.
  11. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The guy in the blue shorts is wondering "WTF happened ?"

12. upspirate

upspirate

I saw an article on it probably in Street Rodder Magazine on how many cuts and what he had to go through to achieve it. When you looked at it, it looked cool,but stock,but something was different about it. Fantastic work when you get that result.

HunterYJ and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

The 3/4 truck is owned by Terry Steagall. It's apart in his garage in Tenn. It was in Mi for a while with Terry, when he worked at the GM Tech Center.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just thinking that some like that Radial Rod panel might have parked right next to someone on here this past season and not been recognized after a new paint job and a wheel and tire and slight stance change. On the other hand some cars are confined to the back corner of the garage after they quit winning trophies on a regular basis. I know of a couple of ot rides around here that have suffered that fate. They weren't the new ride in their class at local events and didn't get in the winners circle anymore and got put in solitary. Meanwhile cars that have never had a California Car duster grace their trunk get to go everywhere and have a great time because their owners could give a rip about awards but love to go to events and see old friends.

15. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Mmmmm. Good question. I remember a Chevy truck like that was sectioned either 3/4 or 7/8 , was black as well at the NSRA East in York PA. in the 1980's.

upspirate and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I also think many people enjoy building a car but are not into shows and the cruse night deals.
    Here in the West Coast of Florida there are many cruse nights and weekend car shows and after a while you start to see the same cars but the crazy part is I can drive past a home with the garage door open and see a beautiful car I have never seen before.

When I stopped and talked with the guy he tells me he built the car 12 years ago but does not enjoy going to shows or even driving the car very much but is not in any way interested in selling it!

I believe there are car guys who just like owning the car but not showing the car for whatever reasons.

Jimbo

17. I'm of the opinion that for every interesting car that we see out in public there are likely 5 or 6 more (low estimate) that are stashed away and may never see the light of day. They could be stalled projects or one of those "One day I'll get to it" cars. I worked a consignment brake pad route for a while and got to see countless cars stuffed into the back of shops all over the place, many that I would love to own, but none really for sale.:(

18. wicarnut

wicarnut

[​IMG]I seem to remember a red car similar to this in the magazines, red, had 2 Chevy ? V8 engines in line and another similar car with a Viper V 10 engine. The Cadillac V16 had that long nose, Pic of 1937 Cadillac Custom Imperial Cabriolet, doors open different and back roofline different, Pic of 1933 Cadillac V16 Fleetwood Custom Limousine looks closer, Mo ? Sancho ?[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    lothiandon1940 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

A lot of cars go into private collections. Stored in temp controlled environments, never seen by the general public, only the owners guests might get a look. To some, they are works of art, to be looked at but never touched or driven.

I enjoy looking at great looking cars, but enjoy driving them even more...

20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great point! I'd say the ratio is more like 30 to 1 or perhaps 50 or 100 to 1 !!! That's complete/running cars, not to include project cars being built or cars out back waiting for their day. If we could drive through residential neighborhoods looking through garage doors with Superman x ray eyes, we would be absolutely stunned!
    There are thousands of old cars squirreled away in garages that get driven once in a blue moon. Most are "casual" old car enthusiasts or simply just "old car owners". They don't typically go to shows, local cruise nights, etc. They may take the oldie out for a spin to a gathering at a relatives house or out to breakfast on a weekend morning. Many will clearly admit they're "afraid" to take the car out for fear of getting hit. Too much to risk as far as they're concerned. Many are not wrenches, but just wanted to have an old car-or inherited one!
    A lot of these cars have been in the family forever. Lots of restored Model T's and A's and original owner/family muscle cars, Corvettes. Sentimental value dictates they stay where they are, largely unseen.
    A few years ago at a local cruise night, a guy showed up with a 62 Dodge 880. All original, one family, bought locally, low miles, never been out of town. The car was immaculate. I'd never seen one in the flesh. Guy said his Dad bought it new and it had been in the family garage all it's life and not driven in years. He'd seen the local cruise and he decided to dust off "his old car", gas and charge it and drove it down the hill with a car load of kids to the local weekly cruise. It was a hit! Never saw the car before or again. It was out for a few hours then right back into it's cocoon!

It's really no different than the guy who takes his touring bike out for a spin, dusts off the golf clubs, fishing gear, etc 3 times a year (vs 3 times a week).

Within a stones throw on my street;
    • across the street sits a very nicely restored 57 Chevy convertible. Old guy restored it several years back when he retired. Drove it faithfully every Sunday AM (only) to get a box of donuts and a Sunday paper. Unless you saw it make the 5 mile round trip, you'd never now it's there. He died a couple years ago and the car got moved next door into his Daughter's home garage. Hasn't moved since-and may never move again.
    • 2 doors up, sits a 36 Ford pickup, old rod.
    • 3 doors down, sits a chopped 56 Chevy.
    • 4 doors down is a 34 Plymouth 2 dr Hot Rod.
    • Just around the corner, sits a 59 Caddy in a garage.
    The HAMB is a perfect example. There's thousands of readers but only a handful of participants. This thread has over 600 views and 18 replies. That's less than 3%.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Far more neat stuff hidden out there that what you see at shows or runs. Took me 40 years to tack down a car I hoped to buy. Found it in a private collection an the other side of the country, not for sale. Not everyone is interested in driving the cars. Bob

22. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

The limousine you're thinking about I believe is an Excalibur.
    Excalibur (automobile) - Wikipedia
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excalibur_(automobile)
    I remember seeing a couple here in the 80s. I had a customer who had one, very proud of it. You don't see them anymore.
    At the time Cruella Deville popped into my mind. ebay439836.jpg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

23. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Nope, not even close.

24. upspirate

upspirate

I liked driving and creating mine. Maintenance not so much. Shows,parades etc....no

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I have 5 hot rods, all in my shop, all still dismantled, through my bad back and knee periods, (4 years now!)
    Have been able to a little here and there, but last week got stem cell injections, back and knee. Yesterday, jumped under my F100 and repaired starter, transmission leak, and wife and I tore the Edelbrock 1406 apart, and ran new fuel line. FIXED!
    I still have my cane collection, but haven't used one since a day after the injections.
    Hallelulia!
    Thought I was gonna get a knee...Aggh!
    As for 'never seeing', you'll see this T Touring and roadster soon, not tomorrow, but soon. Yippee!

26. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

I wish I could find the article on the 3/4 scale 3100 pickup.

stanlow69 likes this.
  27. doug3968

doug3968

Truck has to be seen to be believed. Recall someone asking the builder why he built it, believe his response was, "there was nothing good on TV last winter!"

Casey Riley and upspirate like this.
  28. jim snow

jim snow

Great thread. Can you guys think of some more and post up? Snowman

29. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Moriarity’s house ;)

30. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

A picture 2019-10-13_213832.jpg from the late 80`s.