Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Chop Class with a GIVEAWAY CAR at Jeff Myers' shop in Arkansas City, KS!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pinstriper40, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I've been riding a tornado ever since I got back to work, so have not had a chance to weigh in yet.

This was an exhausting, exhilarating, humbling, awesome weekend! I am used to working alone, so doing something like this in roughly 30 hours over 2 1/2 days with 20 people sharing 3 air hoses and 2 welders was a lot overwhelming at times. Once we got rolling, the group just seemed to gel and off we went. I met some great people, learned some new and fantastic things, and am wore slap out! SUCCESS!! Also, congrats to Nate, who was more than deserving to take the car home. He busted tail relentlessly all weekend.

Thank you to Jeff... such an incredible experience to meet and work with you. Jeff's mom... so gracious a host and kept us hip deep in home cookin. And to Joel for keeping things light, letting the inmates run the asylum, for the familiar stories that only car people can relate to...but always coming back around and putting us on the next task with just enough instruction to make it "click". It was a great way to celebrate my birthday!

In summary, the car is "Melty" as promised! Somebody tell me when this painting class is happening. I'm moving mountains to get there.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

excellent stories & pics

kidcampbell71 and Pinstriper40 like this.
  3. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. An annual event? Sign me up!! I am there, no matter what the focus of the class is....unless it is jig dancing on fire ant hills....I'm not down for that. LOL

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

drdave likes this.
  6. derbydad276

derbydad276

Gene Winfield did this in the basement of the Detroit Autorama a couple years ago

7. RMONTY

RMONTY

I would like to have seen Gene dancing like that! :rolleyes:

8. :cool: Was at the Last Run...

9. LOL....yeah, ummm, I so dorky I can't even dance dorky like that. ......and no one would follow me if I did, it would stop right at "poor guy" LOL

OG lil E, arkiehotrods and Sancho like this.
  10. msinclair32

msinclair32

I definitely had a great time and would love to make it an annual event. I came to learn one thing and I learned many!

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

Heres another way to do it.This is only 2" out of the A posts but this will work for a heavier chop. Look how good this method is for the back window and the tulip panel. These guys could have slanted the B pillars too. We had a great bunch of guys working on this car and one awesome woman. Her husband said she builds engines from the bare block up.
    Jeff Myers was very generous to let us use his shop, his tools and his supplies. His mom brought us great food too. Thank you Jeff and mom!

12. manyolcars

manyolcars

It needs to be acknowledged that Jeff Myers was very generous in allowing us to use his shop, his tools and his supplies. Welding wire, gas, rolocs, masking tape, magic markers, and saw blades. Jeff also gave us instruction in using the louver press, painting information, use of grill blocks, and where to get supplies. He showed us a botched roof so that we would know what not to do. Jeff is a good guy! His mom fed us every day. It was delicious and very kind of her to do this for us.
    Jeff showed how to layout and punch neat orderly rows of louvers in one side of the hood and allowed some guys to make random louvers in the other side.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  13. sololobo

sololobo

What an awesome thread, they don't come any better than Jeff Meyers. The car turned out great with a lot of little mods that are way cool. Sounds like the car went to a great home. Thanx for all the excellent pix.

14. manyolcars

manyolcars

Jeff Myers was great. He gave out information and was a good teacher. He showed how to layout louvers on the hood and did two rows. One row has an staggered louver which is a great idea.It gives the illusion of speed. He showed how to use a light (laser? LED?) to stay on a straight line and his louvers look good. Then he walked away and allowed some guys to continue using his louver press to make their own louvers. Those guys followed the light and made two more rows of louvers. They got the louvers in a straight line so that looks good. They didnt line each row of their louvers up with each other or with Jeffs so this hood will forever be known as the Chop Class 2019 hood.

oddly placed louvers.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  15. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_3327.JPG Here's Jeff showing how its done. Then he turned it over to the students and let them punch louvers.

16. Churchy

Churchy

In for next year! Take my money!

17. manyolcars

manyolcars

If you are thinking of giving your money to Joel Davis for a chop class,message me first

18. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Bruce, I know you're butthurt because you didn't win the car, but this is outta line. If you have a problem please message me. It's pretty obvious from other's responses that the educational experience was well worth the money.

Sancho, drdave and RMONTY like this.
  19. manyolcars

manyolcars

Nope,I saw what was done and I didnt want that car

20. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Hahaha! OK Bruce!

Sancho likes this.
  21. I’ll say it again....great time, learned a ton, would do it again tomorrow no question. It takes quite a bit of restraint on the part of pros like Joel and Jeff to give instruction, step back and let guys with little to no experience to get their hands dirty, do the work and gain skills....giving them enough leash to make a few mistakes and have the pros there to step right back up behind ya to steer you back on track. Lots of learning in correcting your own mistakes but yet not letting loose too far that there isn’t a net to catch you before you fall.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

i'M SORRY YOU FEEL THAT WAY!! Joel and I tried very hard to make sure everyone felt at home and learned from this, we even did extras , headlights, thanks to jeff spence customs for the frenching rings, and Koolrides for the lil frenchy kits to do antennas. Please try to support these guys in the future with ordering parts from them.I feel the class was a good class and everyone should have gotten their moneys worth! hell I, and my MOM cooked $800 dollars worth in food that weekend, we didn't do hot dogs and brats, and cheese samiches. Alot of times it is very hard to make everyone happy, especially 30 grown guys! So I am dissapointed that some feeelings were hurt, but I feel the guy that got the car will finish it in a timely manner, and he busted his ass all weekend. I never saw him loafing. Things don't always go as you want, such is life. I just everyone feels like they had a great weekend, got a chance to work with people that you would never have the chance to learn from if it wasn't for this class, and hopefully take ssomething home from the experiance. I Learn some stuff, and had a great time. we will do this again next year, and I'm going to be doing some paint clinics sometime. a beginning basics, and advanced clinic, and then a Kandy clinic with more advanced fades, flakes ,pearls, and tape designs.

54delray, OG lil E, drdave and 7 others like this.
  23. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Jeff,
    You were an awesome host and I had a great time working with you, Joel, and all the other students who participated. Thank you again for opening up your shop so we could cut up an old car. I slave in a precast plant all week... this was about as good a vacation as I can get from that!

Sancho, OG lil E, drdave and 2 others like this.
  24. I’m down for whatever you guys put together....chopping, welding, metal forming and every paint class you put out there. Dang! A kandy clinic? As a dentist, I whole heartedly endorse this!! Haha!!!

25. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Sancho, drdave and arkiehotrods like this.
  26. RMONTY

RMONTY

Hey Joel,

Do you know what kind of car will be chopped at this one? This is only about 45 minutes from my place and I would be interested in attending another one of your classes for sure!

Sancho and arkiehotrods like this.
  27. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I'm hoping for a '41-48 Ford coupe... I'll have to see what we can round up!

Sancho likes this.
  28. Sancho and Pinstriper40 like this.
  29. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Too bad you scrapped that Merc coupe! Just when you get rid of something, you find you need it later! :D

drdave likes this.
  30. LOL....there was no saving that car....not in my lifetime anyway. Haha

arkiehotrods likes this.