Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ever have one of those days when the stars just don't align?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 10, 2019.

1. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Ever have one of those days....where you get in the car, put on your lap belt.
    Go to where you were going, shut off the car, open the door, try to get out,
    but forget to undo the lap belt.

2. upspirate

upspirate

Day like today he'd forget he'd installed the switch and took up all the carpet etc to charge the battery!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. upspirate

upspirate

I've had days where every project turned to crap,one after the other.I've learned to say screw it and just sit back and have a beer. Usually, the next time I go to do those things, they work out just fine.
    "This just ain't your day!"

alanp561 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. I've been a car show today so I'll procrastinate for now & tackle the problem tomorrow. HRP

dana barlow and upspirate like this.
  5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

This passed sat AM 10/12/19; Heads up on something I screwed up from Sat AM ! Too look out for!, us low oil pan drivers like we are ! < 3in. ground clear.
    Going to car show early this sat. 7;45 AM,stopped at lite, line of cars,I was about 8th car back,when we started moving on green,out from under car a head of me came a manhole< it had been razed up about 3 plus in. for road crew to add new black top I guess{ next day? but had not yet,. I didn't see it in time to ID it as high coming out from under cars ahead of me,BANG took out safety skid shield and bottom of my oil pan. Had to call buddy to bring trailer an go home. Sat turned out to be no fun !!! I look an drive around all iffy bumps,but this time didn't see in time. Sat. sucked ! Never made it to show.

I'm going take a few weeks,as I make a new oil pan,,and pull heads and pistons,hone an re-ring old "Y"< been in need for a time.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    HOTRODPRIMER and williebill like this.
  6. Dana, man I'm sorry that happened to you, many years ago basically the same thing happened to my pal Spence's T bucket when we were close to 200 miles from home, we had to leave our wives with the car and started looking for a auto parts store.

We were in a small town with one independent autoparts store and he had a new oil pan gasket but didn't have a oil pan, he called a friend of his and he had a oil pan, when we arrived at the guys house he had a wrecked late 60's Caprice and had just pulled the greasiest 350 I had ever seen, it was hanging on a cherry picker, we removed the the pan, paid him the ridicules 50 dollars he wanted for a old, nasty & dented pan we then took it to a quarter car wash and cleaned all the crude from the inside & outside of the pan, then to a hammer to the inside of the pan to get the bottom flat again, dryed it off and sprayed it rattle can orange and installed it, only took us about 3 hours.

We learned later on after we got to the show someone else had hit the man hole cover and they had considerably more damage and his car had to be pick up with a ramp truck.

Good lock with the repairs my friend. HRP

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    dana barlow likes this.
  7. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I don’t suggest that.......

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. I'm smarter than that, you don't want to read about me in the obituary's do you? HRP

dana barlow and nochop like this.
  9. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

The brake light switch on my 32 is on the way out and sticking closed. Caught the lights on a few times after getting out and tap the pedal to get them out. I know I’ve missed them a couple of times resulting in a dead battery. Going to change out the switch and maybe put one of the Ron Francis remote controlled kill relays in like we have on our 50 Chevy.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. That should do the job. HRP

11. Finally got around to trying again and this time I fired it up while the battery charger was still hooked up, I disconnected it and my daughter took a short ride to make sure the alternator was charging, the alternator was showing 14 volts so I feel like everything is as it should be.

Got back to the shop, parked the car and turned the ignition off, tried to crank the car, it was slow but the car did crank, obviously I needed to drive the car further, I'll do another slow charge on the car when I get home today.

This is strange, I have never had any problems cranking this car in the past 31 years.HRP

12. upspirate

upspirate

Have you checked the cells in the battery either with a hydrometer or individually with a voltmeter?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. No sir, it's a new sealed battery, purchased in March, but we all know that don't mean much. HRP

upspirate and williebill like this.
  14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did any of the tires deflate and then inflate again by themselves?

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

raven, alanp561 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. Rick, you ain't right! :D HRP

raven likes this.
  16. LAROKE

LAROKE

There are only two kinds of days: Good days and character builders.

raven, alanp561, X-cpe and 1 other person like this.
  17. Good Food for thought! HRP

18. LAROKE

LAROKE

I made it short for myself to remember and call to mind when things are going south. Sometimes, I can take it as a test of character before I start throwing things :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. I witnessed a friend blowing a fuse, he threw & stuck a 3/4" open end wrench in a hollow core storage room door, it's not a pretty thing.

I made a hasty retreat. HRP

LAROKE likes this.
  20. LAROKE

LAROKE

Last time I had an episode like that, I was installing accounting software on a company computer. The software company made you upgrade by not publishing tax tables for a product after three years. You couldn't do payroll then. I had purchased the upgrade but not installed it yet and it was payday. The previous time we upgraded, you could still do payroll with the old tables and fix them later. This time, I found out, the software company sent an update on the last day that had disabled the payroll program. When I realized that, I put my fist thru the wall next to the computer monitor.

After I finished installing the new software so we could all get paid, I went to Home Depot and, failing to find drywall and spackling, cornered an orange shirt and asked. He said "How big a hole?" I replied "Fist sized." He led me to a display that had kits with everything needed to repair a 8" x 8" drywall hole. I guess I'm not the only one.

alanp561, williebill and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. Remember when we were told computers would make our lives easier, upgrading business software very well be responsible for a rise in sheet rock profit's over the years. :D

We recently had to do a upgrade on our computers and I had to walk away before I pushed the tower off the desk.

Our older point of sales program crashed and the new took forever to get installed. o_O HRP

LAROKE likes this.
  22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Been there, done that. My old utility room door had a big duct tape patch on it because of it. Wife wasn't amused.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Earlier this year, I took a metal working class. One of the young guys screwed up the piece that he was working on, and flung it out the door. It bounced off the hood of my 1962 Volvo, leaving a couple of small dents/chips in the old paint job.

He came looking for me. I took a quick look from a distance. Said "No broken glass, it's patina", laughed and shook his hand.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. You sir are a Saint, I honestly don't think I would have been as diplomatic as you were. HRP

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    j-jock likes this.
  25. I've even tried to glue the stars in place but that didn't help either..BigO

26. I hear crazy glue works pretty good as long as you don't stick them to your fingers. :D HRP

j-jock likes this.
  27. Exactly, hahaha!!!! :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Thanks for the complement. 75 years have ground off some of my sharp edges..., and I could see that he was genuinely upset that he had damaged my car.

29. I just did the same thing to myself two weeks ago. Brand new battery dayd! I checked everything before finding that the headlight switch had been turned to the position where the interior light under the dash was turned.
    The worst incident this summer, was when the vibration caused by closing the hood on the same truck caused a dead short in the dual battery solenoid. In a matter of seconds, there was smoke everywhere! I had to run like hell to get a wrench to disconnect the battery ground or it would have burned to the ground.
    That is only the beginning, I have had the summer from hell.
    Bob

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. I'm still waiting for the day when the stars DO align.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.