Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC Motor smoking mystery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scumdog, Oct 12, 2019.

1. has all the symptoms of a worn out engine. Or a engine that has been overheated to the point of internal damage. Nuthin to do except take it apart.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Before doing any major surgery, try pulling the valve covers and see if the oil drainback holes are clogged up. The valve covers will fill up with oil and start skeeter-fogging. An old GF had one of those 79 Rallye Camaros that she bought new, and had never changed the oil, and smoking like a stove. Looked like a crusty jello pudding mold when I pulled the covers- and trapped oil went all over the ground. A little (well, a lot) of screwdriver digging and then a few quick trips to Jiffy Lube for oil changes, no more smoke

Algoma56 likes this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like a wore out Chevy V8 ...What'd you expect?

5. Scumdog

Scumdog

I suspect it is plain worn out (can't confirm the mileage but it's high) BUT like a lot of you I always hope for the mythical 'cheap fix'!

I took the vacuum hose for te modulator off at the intake and it appeared dry so I doubt that's the problem.

The main symptom that makes me think the motor is worn out is the fumes puffing out of the tube from valve cover to air filter.

If worn out I have a spare 350 long block that came with the truck so might freshen it up and swap motors, hopefully all the needed bits (dist, w/pump etc) swap over OK..

6. Scumdog

Scumdog

Nothing is as easy to get in NZ as it is in the US - the stuff is generally available but the prices would make your eyes water!

But as per my last post I'll probably get a rebuild kit.

What exactly do you mean re the 305 heads? That the truck has got the best type of 305 heads??

7. No.
    The 305HO heads are the “best” 305 heads.

The truck and van 305 heads are the “better” heads.

How far below the manual were your compression test numbers?
    I think that’s 4 times now I’ve asked that question.

Algoma56 likes this.