Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to easily remove paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raven, Oct 10, 2019.

1. raven

raven

How can one be easily remove paint from chrome?
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. squirrel

squirrel

depends on how much paint, what type, if the chrome was etched/sanded first, etc. Paint stripper, or if it's thin or in bad condition, steel wool or lacquer thinner.

3. Squablow

Squablow

Paint stripper works really good as long as the part is removed from the car first, stripper will not hurt the chrome and also will avoid scratching the way other methods might. I've had very good luck removing paint and primer and whatever else from chrome or stainless with stripper and have yet to have any issues. If you're trying to do something with the part on the car, it's going to be really tough to avoid getting stripper on the surfaces that are supposed to have paint on them.

stillrunners likes this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

A Brillo pad and a bucket of water.....

Robert J. Palmer likes this.

5. raven

raven

Ora brass wire wheel.
    That took most of it off. Just need to dremel the tight places now. I was bored and I thought I’d try it on the underside of the bow. Worked so well I did the rest. It’s got a thick layer of heavy chrome on it.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. 2 nailbender

2 nailbender
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from iowa

brake fluid, did some hub caps that way.

iwanaflattie likes this.
  7. Dow oven cleaner is my normal process. Spray it on, walk away, come back later and hose it off. Done and the Chrome is really really shiny. No elbow grease needed.

8. BJR

BJR

Easiest way I know to remove paint is try to carefully pour some brake fluid while being around something painted that you don't want to screw up the paint on. The brake fluid will either splash, the funnel will tip, or you will get a drop on the paint you didn't want removed, and the brake fluid will remove it. :D

stillrunners, raven and loudbang like this.