Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What clutch for a Hemi to '39 TopLoader

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oj, Oct 12, 2019.

1. oj

oj

I'm ready for the clutch and don't know what to get. Its a 354 with an Offenhauser adapter to a '39 TopLoader. The stock flywheel is drilled for 11" pressure plate. Stock Ford input shaft. I drilled the cranks so the flywheel bolts thru the front with ARP bolts, the head might be a little taller than the stock hemi bolts, so the disc should be kinda short on the side going into the crank.
    Any help from those running this combination is greatly appreciated, Oj

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got an IN/OUT box behind the 331 short bell in my dirt car. It has the same bolt pattern as a '39 top-loader and uses the same adapter. I couldn't find a button flywheel (it let's you connect the crank right to the transmission input shaft), so I had to run a flywheel and clutch. It was over 20 years ago, but I do recall the clutch I used was from a Dodge dump truck that was the same vintage as the hemi. Sorry I can't remember more detail, but it was a long time ago.

oj likes this.
  3. sunbeam

sunbeam

Might use a cheap one you will have plenty of chances to change it as often as you will break tranmissions. 1939 ford 172 foot pounds of torque 354 380

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    oj and Budget36 like this.
  4. oj

oj

Too funny, I consider it my fuseable link to the banjo rear.