Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features To chop or not

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sponge, Jul 11, 2018.

1. redoxide

redoxide

only one way to settle this.. buy another 30 coupe body and chop it, then store it on a pallet and do a body swap when you feel fed up of the unchopped body. Then when your bored of the chopped top, refit the unchopped body . by this time someone will offer up another set of B rails and from all the bits we all gather and store under the bench you can build another chassis that's identical to the first, then drop the chopped body on that and have the best of both worlds.. Thats not as dumb as it sounds :)

Jet96 likes this.
  2. m.ralph

m.ralph

Here's my 32 Ford coupe after a 5.0 inch chop.

Attached Files:

3. fuzzface

fuzzface

Chop it! Wait, Don't chop it! what the hell grow some balls, chop it! Well second thought Don't it looks great already. Ok, you can see I am on the fence with this one.

I didn't read past the first page but maybe it was brought up already but I would consider a few things. First how tall are you? Will you fit in comfortably in a chopped car. This might limit how much you take out.

another thing you need to consider, will you ever sell the car? If you might sell it, then don't get overly crazy on a wild chop. Too big a chop actually chops off your buyer market too. Mild chop might add but a wild chop will take it away in more ways then one.

Never ever going to sell. then do what you actually want to it or desire too.

Then there is the wild card involved. that is the wife or significant other. what is her opinion?. You need to keep her happy too unless she wants you to get rid of it then her opinion doesn't matter and you might want to get rid of her :)

Sorry this is a hard call on this car. I like it as is but would like it just as much chopped.

4. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

Your building a Hot Rod. Another vote for Chop It. That red deuce coupe comparison of before and after
    should shove you over the line. How Ever. Bottom line it's your car, do what you want to do.

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Leave it!

olscrounger and nunattax like this.
  6. You are building a car to drive (I hope), chopped cars look great when parked. Just be sure you have ridden in chopped cars for more than just around the block.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    nunattax likes this.
  7. Jiler115

Jiler115

Cosmo49 likes this.
  8. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

… go sponge go ! ...
    The more rigid the better when you chop the top...
    IMO... get it drivable... run a strip of masking tape across the w/s at the level of chop you want... drive it for...………. a few hours... that should let you know how hard to chop it...or if at all... my $0.02.

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

It all depends on how tall you are and what "period" hot rod
    you want to build. No chopping gives it that really old school 1930's , 1940's look.
    Chopping it moves it forward s couple of generations. For now, do as Rex suggested.

10. A Boner

A Boner

Most Model A sedans have the front seats moved back.....something that is somewhat restricted with a coupe. You are talking apples and oranges if you are talking about your sedan vs his coupe. Driving comfort includes seeing out the windshield without having to slouch down and stretching out your legs....unless you are really short.

11. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

1930 tudor door is 1.750" longer than the '30 coupe... and has 1" taller door window openings...
    tudor subfloor appears to be slightly wider too...
    but they both use the same windshield and visor...

12. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Hard chop on Deuce rails should be a law. With the right seat, and mounting position/tilt they can be pretty comfortable. I’m 6’ and 250 and kept the package tray and seat riser, with a 4 1/2 chop, just changed to a minivan seat and it wasn’t too bad. Although on deuce rails I think 5”-6” chop looks best

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    akoutlaw and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. sponge

sponge
    from Austin tx

[​IMG] well took a little of the top.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks good and you didn't get carried away making it "radical" . Those photos sure make me want to go with a set of Deuce rails rather than full fenders on my 31 Vic though.
    Funny thing is that the cost of putting on a set of new Brookville fenders and running boards and having Rusty or another shop weld me up a frame is so close to the same that $$ wise you don't save either way.

15. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

way to go or leave it alone

Boden likes this.
  16. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks great Sponge, 4" although looks a tad more???

17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. clem

clem

Right decision, looks great !

19. clem

clem

Actually, all model A’s on ‘32 chassis should be channeled an inch to make them look right.

Remember seeing a ‘32 chopped, or photo chopped /shopped, just one inch. Wasn’t worth the effort.
    On an A it would hardly be noticeable to most.

20. chopo

chopo

21. m.ralph

m.ralph

Here's one of my chopped coupes The way I look at it, we DON'T wear Lincoln top hats anymore.

. thumbnail.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  22. dln1949

dln1949

To chop or not to chop...........start with the grill shell, trim a half or three quarters of an inch off the bottom to get the shell level or below the cowl. Put it back together and drive it for a while. It's enough work to chop it, if you don't like it it's more work to put it back. Go out and sit in and ride in ones that are chopped and think about it. Then do what you want, it's your coupe.

23. Don’t care. Do what YOU want to do. :cool:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. to rephrase. I’ll like it either way you go with it. :)

25. LUTHER99

LUTHER99

ABSOLUTELY, chop it at least 4"

26. Rick Coast

Rick Coast

If you decide to chop remember it is hard to see red lights if you go too far.LOL. a mild chop would be nice But what matters is what you like is most important. look at others and decide . nice car dude.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  27. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

m.ralph and Hombre like this.
  28. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

29. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

It looks great! Not better, just different, both look great to me. I would've left it alone, but that's just me. You car looks effin great!

Nicomat86, duecesteve and 31hotrodguy like this.